Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 83319 times)

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2010, 02:03:12 AM »
Glad to.  I'm not able to set up games on the books (since I have a possible work conflict).  If everything works out I'll have lots of time and no scheduled games.  See you there.  If you'd like to coordinate, my email is saintandsinner.jmj@gmail.com.

Excellent.  We're playing in the Undertown Chat room, as well, so we'll have some developed and neocharacters as well!  Please feel free to stop by if you're interested in what we're doing with the RPG in chat. 

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,18011.135.html

Offline Dannyboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
As a 9 time attendee of Dragoncon, a few tips.

1: the registration line is insane, pre-registered folks are advised to try and get in on thursday if at all possible.

2: Authors usually have a signing room designated for them with a one hour signing period.  Jim will likely have at least one of these sessions and the room consists of a taped line on the floor and a table at the front for the author to sign at.  Some lines have had a limit to the number of signatures allowed, usually allowing someone with extra items to return to the back of the line.

3: If Jim is giving a talk (I sure hope so) that will be a different event and since those are always in a room too small for the crowd arriving early is advised.  The last time Jim attended the room was way too small, one might hope the people in charge then are still around but being a fan run con that doesn't always happen.  Be Prepared.

4: The con is HUGE, taking over the convention space of 4 large downtown hotels.  Make use of the maps in the pocket program. and be aware of the codes showing what hotel the event you want is in.  Three of the hotels are interconnected by skywalks, the Hyatt to the Marriott and the Marriott to the Hilton.  The Sheraton (where registration is) is two blocks from the Hilton.  Most of the overflow hotels are closer to the Hyatt than the others IIRC.

Enjoy The Con
Danny

Offline Mousekabob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »
WAHOOO, last minute miracle, and hubby and I get to attend this year.  We volunteer with the Charity events staff.  Last year the booth was right next to where the line for author signings forms.  If it's the same this year, stop by and say howdy!!!  Please, please stop by, I'd be nice to look like i actually know people.

I've been going for five years.  Words of advice.

Wear comfortable shoes.

People are generally very nice. Frankly, in five years I've never come across anyone who is a jerk, but have heard stories from others.

If you want to go to a potentially popular panel, get there, and get in line early.  They do not let you squat, but instead clear the room between each panel.  They also don't let people line up too early for panels.  They also try to do the same or similar panels on different days and times.  Check the schedule in advance. 

They are doing Thursday night programming this year.

Embrace the phrase 'line party'.  Live it, love it.  There are lines for the elevator.

If you have small children with you, yes, they are occasionally more 'adult' styles of costumes' (I'm sorry, but pasties are not a costume, no matter what they claim).  Frankly, I think the kids are more fascinated by the 501St than by somebody in pasties anywho.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
Hmm, I saw James Marsters' DragonCon schedule is posted. $250 for "private" event with him...really? Unless that private event takes place in my hotel room, that's a bit pricey!  :o

Is Jim's schedule posted yet, anyone know?
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2010, 12:52:20 AM »
Here is the link to the DF track schedule, you'll notice JB's scheduled interview is for Sunday morning:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ts0u7PiHoZ2xC0II0DYvYYA#gid=0

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2010, 02:52:36 AM »
That isn't the only thing he's doing, though, right?
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Dannyboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »
That's the Panel discussion I mentioned.  It's at least in a small ballroom instead of the meeting room they used last time.  There will be at least one designated singing session on the Signing schedule.  We'll probably have to wait for the pocket program to find out about that.

Offline llwaynest

• Conversationalist
  • Major General Toot Toot Minimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2010, 11:33:21 PM »
Centennial I is a decent sized room and it's centrally located at the Hyatt. It's possible Jim may be a panelist in one of the other panels listed. The full schedule will give more info. Last year I saw Adam Savage in his own panel, which was packed, and on a skeptics panel, which wasn't even half full. Both were quite enjoyable. I love finding those hidden gems.
"I would rather be drunk than eaten"
Master Ferus

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2010, 01:46:50 AM »
it's probably too late for me to think about....I suppose I could drive there and I have a friend that's been invited apparently to be on a panel there...apparently with Jim....

I've mentioned on twitter the threat of me being a self-promoting twit (and we, now done it here) and trying to talk about my books...

Plus would just like to talk to him, he's got an awesome series and I know I enjoy talking to Fred Perry and other authors and such when I see them....
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline AaronMichelle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
This may be a silly question, but does this mean that Jim will have a booth every day of the convention to meet him and have a book signed? Or is there a specific day in which we can do that?

Thanks

Offline geminigrey

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »
Usually they have assigned time to do autographs and what not.  I don't think he'll have a vendor booth where he's signing the rest of the time, but anything's possible.

The actual schedule should be coming up very soon this week, that'll shed a lot of light on things when it comes to making plans..that will promptly be forgotten once the chaos begins. ;)

Offline AaronMichelle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »
Haha, thanks. I have to work weekends so I am trying to make sure that the day I get off work I can see him. Hopefully the calendar will come out soon. . .

Offline llwaynest

• Conversationalist
  • Major General Toot Toot Minimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:21 PM »
The schedule probably won't be out until Saturday. It's likely Jim will have a table set up somewhere. (He did the last two times he was there, I have pix!) Authors often have a manned table in either the vendor hall or the exhibit hall. Won't know until I get there as those kinds of tables are not on any schedule.
"I would rather be drunk than eaten"
Master Ferus

Offline mrmorden

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Blue Dragon
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2010, 01:41:01 AM »
I would make a deal with the the Queen of air and darkness herself to be there. 

Offline geminigrey

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2010, 01:58:20 AM »
I would make a deal with the the Queen of air and darkness herself to be there. 

Resists the urge to make Babylon 5 quotes about "What do you want?" 

Oh wait, no I didn't. ;)