Author Topic: Found a really good article on writing today  (Read 1549 times)

Offline library lasciel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Found a really good article on writing today
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:24:06 PM »
It's aimed at journalism students for whom English is a second language, but it's the most clear and concise rendering of all the faults of 'legalese' that I've ever seen, and I think it's a good guide to all sorts of writing, not simply journalism.

Here's the article http://www.theamericanscholar.org/writing-english-as-a-second-language/

Hope you find it interesting/useful!

comprex

Re: Found a really good article on writing today
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:36:34 PM »
Heh.  If I even tried to get rid of such things as the distinction between processing (generating results from raw input) and reconciliation (making the results of the new process agree with the results of the old process),  I'd be put out to pasture.   

Edit: Make that 'even thought about trying'.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:38:41 PM by squeemonster »

Offline KarlTenBrew

• Conversationalist
  • The good and the bad, but the gun doesn't hurt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:03:15 AM »
[edit] what the hell is my computer doing? wrong thread.  Insert discussion about how diversifed vocabulary is also a STRENGTH of English, and how it is 'super-alive' in that it is constantly changing by use.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:14:44 AM by KarlTenBrew »
Am I a wannabe who won't finish, or tadpole author waiting to grow up?  Probably the former, but we'll find out later.

'Agents of C.R.O.S.S.' - coming soon(ish)©®™ to a bookstore near you, courtesy of Karl TenBrew

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:13:06 AM »
A good pen-name is exactly eight characters long, so that you can use it as a directory name on even an old MS-DOS machines to keep which of your projects go under which name sensibly separate.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.