Author Topic: Writing craft toolbox ideas...  (Read 1729 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Writing craft toolbox ideas...
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
I'm heading into Book III of a five book series.  Although I would love someone to publish it, they are still at their heart learning tools.  I'm very comfortable with 1st POV so Book I was my first shot at intimate 3rd.  Book II was designed to have me balance and intertwine six characters while keeping their voices and personalities distinct and different, and then getting them all organically into the climax so that all their heartlines cuminate at the same time.  Yeah, that was a big one.  So far feedback is positive.

Question:  Suggestions on what might be something to concentrate on during Book III?  I don't think I'm ready for distant 3rd.  I know many writers say that it is easier, but that camera zooming in and out at just the right time...  Keeping it alive and intense while staying in 3rd simply terrifies me.  So, let's assume that I'm not ready for that yet.

What other writing craft ideas do you think are essential to have in your writer's toolbox? 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
Re: Writing craft toolbox ideas...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »
Proper mastery of the flashback.  Well done flashbacks can really enhance a story.  Poorly done, they can derail the story entirely and make the writer look like he/she has no ability to plan, plot, or properly convey information.

I've written stories (though not novels) just to practice writing action sequences.  I used to be very, very bad at them.  Now I'm merely nervous about them.  I'm not sure I've mastered them, but I know they rarely make me cringe anymore when I re-read them.  They need proper pacing, enough description to give you an idea of what's going on but not so much description that it bogs things down.  You need fighters to look competent, non-fighters to look bad but not laughable, you need to properly use technical lingo but not overuse it...  I find them very difficult.

The same's true of sex scenes, btw. ;)  Fast enough but not too fast, experience levels correct for each character, use the proper tools at the proper times with the proper language...  Sex scenes are action sequences, I say.

You might try writing in a plot point that requires technical knowledge, to practice researching a topic and then conveying the right amount of info about the subject.  Like, if archaeology is a big point in a book, an author has to research archaeology, then convey to the audience enough so they know what's going on, a smidge more so they learn a little bit, but not so much that it comes off like a how-to manual.  I don't think David Weber has figured this out yet, and he's on his 5 billionth book.  He gets going on weapons construction and it becomes a technical dissertation.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
really good ideas kali!  Thank you!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline SCARPA

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:48:22 AM »
I admire your goal of targeted self improvement and using each book as a learning tool.

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
I don't think David Weber has figured this out yet, and he's on his 5 billionth book.  He gets going on weapons construction and it becomes a technical dissertation.

Do you know why you never ask an engineer to explain something?

(click to show/hide)

(It works for anybody with a science degree, really)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:44:03 AM »
LOL, I needed a laugh. 
Proper mastery of the flashback.  Well done flashbacks can really enhance a story.  Poorly done, they can derail the story entirely and make the writer look like he/she has no ability to plan, plot, or properly convey information.
This last work has a long stringing flashback that kabooms with the final climax.  I didn't study it however, and I think that would be a wonderful endeavor as I re-edit that work and use it in the new work.  I love really neat flashbacks well done.  I think I'll work on this along with a serious attempt to lengthen my description.  People tend to say I write 'too fast'.  I do plan on breathers between action sequences, and my descriptions are extremely targeted and concise, and sometimes minimalist. 

I don't know if the minimal description is part of my style (I fear it is, which is why I adore JB's power packed description) or a default in my writing.  Neurovore got me on to Charlie Huston's Already Dead and it's unusual style that I feel in love with as well.  It might be nice though to lengthen my description while still making it active, plot pushing description to see if works or not.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:45:40 AM by meg_evonne »