Author Topic: Literary Wikipedia  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Literary Wikipedia
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:00:25 PM »
Found something I thought you guys would be interested in.  I may just be new to the uptake, but I stumbled upon this site called Tvtropes.com, and its freaking fantastic.  Its like a wikipedia for modern literary structure, but with a focus more on Stan Lee than Shakespeare. I have never found a place that had so meticulously broken down the modern archetypes and well...literature.  I mean, where else could you get a multipage breakdown, with examples, of a Xanatos Gambit, Jerkass Dissonace, or the Sidekick Ex Machina (which btw is an extreme form of Hypercompetant Sidekick and similar in application to Manic Pixie Dream Girl).  Its got a listing of villain levels from Mook to The Dragon, and and a listing of the Flying Brick superpower set.   I have now spent that last hour crawling through it soaking all up.  ;D

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Literary Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »
Ah, tvtropes. The black hole of the internet.

You'll spend more than an hour on that page before you're through... -_-
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:27:19 AM »
Yes! Yes! Yes! TV Tropes should be mandatory reading for all aspiring authors. And for the perspiring ones, too.

But set a timer - A loud one. Maybe two...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:18:27 AM »
*blinks*  What happened to the last 5 hours?  :-\
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:33:54 AM »
Yes. Exactly.

:D