Author Topic: Any projects for a Codex Alera RPG?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline SteaksandNewBoots

• Participant
    • View Profile
Any projects for a Codex Alera RPG?
« on: October 15, 2009, 02:33:16 AM »
Just wondering if anyone was kicking around ideas for a Codex tabletop RPG?  My gaming group and I are figuring to make a homebrewed D10 system along the line of the White Wolf Aeon Trinity system for it when book 6 is done.  But would love if someone did the work for us  ;D

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
Re: Any projects for a Codex Alera RPG?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:13:46 AM »
If you want to focus on the political angle, I'd give Reign a shot as the best thing I could think of to convert. Its not too different from WW's d10 system but it does a lot of clever things, has a whole slew of free online supplements and is built to do large-scale conflicts and political leadership well.

Offline molten_dragon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:30:34 PM »
I've been working (in my very limited spare time) on coming up with homebrew rules for Codex Alera using D&D 3.5 as the core rules.  It's going pretty slowly though, since there's a lot of things about the system that need changed to make it match the books.
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his  life.

Offline SteaksandNewBoots

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:09:38 AM »
I've been working (in my very limited spare time) on coming up with homebrew rules for Codex Alera using D&D 3.5 as the core rules.  It's going pretty slowly though, since there's a lot of things about the system that need changed to make it match the books.

Ewww not 3.5... no good way for the spell system to fit the complexity of Aleran furycrafting.  Unless you mesh the non casting classes and develop a system to run along side the classes.  Nah I think a skill based system like white wolf or Gurps would be way eaiser than totally rewriting 3.5 D20...  Though it would be interesting.

Offline molten_dragon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
Well, my plan is actually to get rid of classes altogether, and make some major changes to the spellcasting system as well (no vancian casting, instead as use furycrafting, you get more and more tired).  It probably would be simpler to use a different system, but D&D is really the only fantasy rpg system I know well enough to do this kind of thing with.
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his  life.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:20:19 PM »
I've been thinking of using Mutants & Masterminds as a basis.
It is completely effect based (no Spell system) and has no classes, so you can simply use the powers there to simulate the furies abilities.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 12:59:18 AM »
Well, my plan is actually to get rid of classes altogether, and make some major changes to the spellcasting system as well (no vancian casting, instead as use furycrafting, you get more and more tired).  It probably would be simpler to use a different system, but D&D is really the only fantasy rpg system I know well enough to do this kind of thing with.

Like Tsunami says, I'd STRONGLY recommend M&M for you since its based on D&D and is flexible enough to handle Fury stuff without too much house-ruling.

Offline Khamsin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 01:31:52 AM »
I personally used a 3.5 DnD with the six furies assigning them to someone was easy and the way he describes the simple uses tapping into them for strength ETC. and they also could provide a skill bump IE air spot <lensing> and so forth but leaving other uses as a taxing/ per day usage just my two cents don't over-think or put rigidity into it let your players find new and interesting ways to use them  ;D 

Offline KarlTenBrew

• Conversationalist
  • The good and the bad, but the gun doesn't hurt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 02:20:55 AM »
To do it using 3.0/3.5's d20 basis, you need to steal from a few places.  The first is the Wheel of Time d20 supplement, which brings a couple of concepts to the old slots/day casting mechanic that fit furycrafting very well.  The second change is to change daily slots to a stamina/exhaustion based system.

The first concept to pull from Wheel of Time is to apply the Element concept to Furycrafting: Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and Spirit become Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Wood, and Metal.  This lets you assign an ease factor (based on the feats and 'spells' from WoT supplement) based on number of applications to the discipline, and meshes well with the merit-based changes.  Also steal the ability to overchannel (and thereby kill yourself from pure effort in furycrafting, or knock yourself out the same way).  This gives you a basis under the d20 rules to stick with classes if you want, or switch to a classless but level/experience/point-development system.  It would be very hard for me to fully flesh out the details here, but I'm working on it just for these boards...I'll link my final efforts!
Am I a wannabe who won't finish, or tadpole author waiting to grow up?  Probably the former, but we'll find out later.

'Agents of C.R.O.S.S.' - coming soon(ish)©®™ to a bookstore near you, courtesy of Karl TenBrew

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »
To do it using 3.0/3.5's d20 basis, you need to steal from a few places.  The first is the Wheel of Time d20 supplement, which brings a couple of concepts to the old slots/day casting mechanic that fit furycrafting very well.  The second change is to change daily slots to a stamina/exhaustion based system.

The first concept to pull from Wheel of Time is to apply the Element concept to Furycrafting: Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and Spirit become Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Wood, and Metal.  This lets you assign an ease factor (based on the feats and 'spells' from WoT supplement) based on number of applications to the discipline, and meshes well with the merit-based changes.  Also steal the ability to overchannel (and thereby kill yourself from pure effort in furycrafting, or knock yourself out the same way).  This gives you a basis under the d20 rules to stick with classes if you want, or switch to a classless but level/experience/point-development system.  It would be very hard for me to fully flesh out the details here, but I'm working on it just for these boards...I'll link my final efforts!
I would actually argue that the various Star Wars d20 systems are a better base than any of the d20 spell slot systems.  Then you can have the furies be creatures that can soak vitality damage (drain?) for the character.

I.e. if a person doesn't have an earth fury, using earthcrafting inflicts vitality damage on the character, but if he had an earth fury, the earth fury soaks it (until it is tapped out) first.

But that is what I fiddled with a long time ago.  Now I am redoing it all in a heavily adjusted Exalted setup (mostly Dragon-Blooded charms).
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Gilesth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »
Just use CORTEX core. The skills could include furies and their specific effects, and you can house rule a fatigue system that causes stun damage beyond X uses of furycraft.
I write, I game, I read.  I'm a nerd, married to a nerd, and I'm proud of it!

Offline nightflier

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 02:38:33 PM »
I played Dresden Files using Monte Cook's World of Darkness. It's spell system is extremely well suited to Dresden series, because you can create virtually any effect you wish. There's a formula for spell cost and you can create rituals on the fly. And it adapts well to the Alera.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:53:01 PM by nightflier »