Author Topic: NaNoWriMo anyone?  (Read 30305 times)

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo anyone?
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »
*snip*
I just got an extra job
*snip

Congrats on the job!

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »
Thanks!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2009, 03:14:33 AM »
I am on the brink of quitting myself. I'm keeping up with the daily minimum, but there just isn't much left to my story. I've tried jumping ahead to stoke my interest, but there's just waaaay too much research to do on this still. I came in too unprepared.

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2009, 04:20:00 AM »
I didn't think I could do this but so far I've been just ahead of everything by a day or so.
When certain people aren't telling me I type too loudly I get alot more done.

Just hit 25K+

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2009, 04:38:27 AM »
30K here and while I haven't even come near to running out of story, I am running out of steam (plus I had a busy time of it the past couple of days).

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2009, 05:48:10 AM »
I'm still plugging away during my free time, but I stopped counting words. I want a pleasant surprise when I check word count tomorrow.

Or something.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2009, 08:00:32 AM »
I took Monday off 'cause it was my birthday and because I've had a harder time of it since Sunday.  The last few days have been much harder.  I don't really want to write, I actively want not to write.  But I want to do this even more than that, so I make myself sit down and write.  One nice thing about having my writing time broken up is that I'm never looking at having to get through 1667 words in one shot.  I can write some in the morning, then when I get home I can usually say "Oh, it's just another 800 words, I can do that."

To get myself started, I remind myself, "It doesn't matter if the words suck, it doesn't matter if they're dull and uninspired, just write them down."  Which, as bold, motivating speeches go, sucks.  It's no St. Crispin's Day speech, but it works.  It's usually enough to make me poke at the keys.

And y'know, when I go back and read over the previous day's stuff, it's never as bad as I felt it was at the time.

36k in, 14k to go, and I'm heading into the final battle scene.  If I can't get at least 10k out of a big fight between a vampire and two witches, four werewolves, and a smokin' hot Catholic priest, I deserve to lose this thing.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Heh, that sounds a bit like where I'm at. I had a busy day yesterday between going to Cambridge to pick up an anime movie DVD I had had my eye on and running some errands with my folks, but I somehow managed to get up to 31K early this morning. And now a plot bunny for a cracked Twilight/Yami no Matsuei, aka Descendants of Darkness crossover fic has decided to grow fangs and start gnawing on my foot, so now I'm tempted to take a break and work on *that*, but I'm worried if I do, I'll fall completely off the word count bandwagon on the NaNo. The best I can do at the moment is type the NaNo and jot things for the crossover fic when I've got my 1,667 words for the day in.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »
I hit 30K today, but still am only about 1/4 way through the planned manuscript.  The plot is just starting to get going, with some dastardly unknown sticking a potato in my protagonists' tailpipe while they're on a stakeout, the kidnapped stripper finally being missed by her roommate, and the dead burglar turning up alive, though not for long.

I'm still ahead of the curve, but feel as though I'm lagging sadly behind.  One problem is that I start to feel as though I'm getting carpal tunnel if I write for more than about 3-4 hours at a clip.  Anyone have any suggestions for combating this?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
Better posture at the keyboard. If necessary, roll up a handtowel lengthwise and brace it under your wrists while you type.

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2009, 11:14:59 PM »
A small amount of heat at the wrists makes a huge difference. You can get those wrist things tennis players wear, they can be quite fancy and cool. Me - I cut off the cuffs of old socks and wear them on my wrists and lower arm while doing a lot of typing.

Guilty pleasure - I have, more than once, bought socks with no intention of wearing them on my feet. I cut theit toes off as soon as I get home and use them as wrist wraps.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2009, 11:15:52 PM »
Heh - and I thought I was clever in using cotton footie socks for dusting!

Bravo, Kris!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2009, 12:37:42 AM »
This has inspired me to dig up my homemade half-gloves (ie. regular light cotton work gloves with the fingertips nipped out) and put them on when I type.

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2009, 10:57:53 AM »
Well I just handed my protagonists a major body blow, they lost a pivotal battle, and by treachery from within....

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2009, 12:55:03 PM »
Dammit, Kevin, quit stealing my plot! >.<

The climactic battle scene is going to be the final moments of Rachel's brilliant plan to kill the vampire.  It's rather an intricate plan, and thus it will be necessary that nothing works quite right, everything goes haywire, but in the end they manage to kill him anyway. (I will, btw, be refer to this as "Scoobying up" the plot, as in "I didn't expect things to go perfectly, but that was just enough to really Scooby up my plan.")

One of the things that will go wrong is that everyone has forgotten that, healed or not, one of the werewolves was bitten by the vampire.

Bum-bum-buuuuuuuummmmmm!

And it's Caleb's mate, the one female werewolf of the four.

Hm.  So far everyone my vampire's put the whammy on is female.  Even his makeshift Renfield is a 16-year-old girl.  I shall begin referring to him as Count Mackula.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com