Author Topic: NaNoWriMo anyone?  (Read 29446 times)

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 05:01:20 PM »
No, I'm signed up as Thumbelina137, my email name.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »
Thanks for the point in the right direction, Kris. I'm considering doing it. Look me up Thumbelina137

MEG! Please sign up. You'll be much better at this than I will!

Who's a me'sS? I'm up to my elbows in MB class.  Reading and criting 12 authors, 10 pages (that's 120 pages each week, plus publish 10 pages that need to be brushed up nice rather than down and dirty nasty raw draft, and working on trying to finish 1st draft by the end of class around Nov 15th or so... 

I haven't even had time to stop by JB.  My house looks like a nuke hit it and my dog is so jealous he leaps in my lap the second class starts.  What are we going to do when I'm down there this year?  How about a day at the spa?  That job let you off once in awhile?  Oh hey, my cousin just took National Reserve Champion.  When's the AZ show going to be?  Maybe we can get that done this time around.  Your daughter still horse crazy or has she moved on to boys?  (Horses are lot easier than boys...)

Here's Joe and Kid's yahoo group.  I think your daughter would have a great chance of seeing Kid take Champion at the Scottsdale show.  He is a gorgeous fellow.  For an arabian.... 
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunsational-Kid/52123171916?ref=search&sid=1056825454.3233779033..1    note that the name is sUnsational Kid when searching or you'll get a paint from Montana.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »
ROFLMAO!

Aw, come on... sure you can't fit in just an hour or two in the morning? Just wake up earlier!  ;)

Congrats to your Cousin! National Reserve is Jan 7-10, 2010. Email me what dates you're going to be in town and I'll let you kidnap me from work!

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 11:41:35 PM »
I started a new job that has me hopping.  My plan, and I'm keeping this schedule now to get used to it, is to get up at 4:30 am to have breakfast, let the dogs out, and shower.  I'll write from 5 - 6, then get dressed, pack lunch, let the dogs out again, and get on the road by 6:45. 

At night when I get home, I let the dogs out, feed the horses, and that takes me until almost 7.  Then I eat dinner and write until 9, when it's bedtime so I can get up at 4:30 again.

I... think I'll be really glad when November is over.  I feel exceptionally old, having a 9pm bedtime.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 12:23:42 AM »
^^^^^ SEE?????

Kali can do it!!

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 01:56:02 AM »
I'm signed up as Matrixrefugee on the NaNoWriMo site (excuse the fact that I'm writing a Neon Genesis Evangelion fanfic for this year's NaNo: It's part of a trilogy that I've been pecking away at for a couple of months now)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 02:51:44 AM »
the US Arabian Nationals were just held in Tulsa?  Not sure about the Jan 2010 dates, but those would work out well for me.  Will PM when I buy tickets.  I t.hink the only trip they make to AZ is for the Scottsdale Show.  Dang

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 03:35:01 AM »
LOL. I just signed up for s**ts and grins. My current first draft manuscript is almost done; just finishing up the ending then have one last scene to plunk into the swampy middle. I can finish that in December and still make my goal of finishing the rough draft by the end of the year. It'll be a good little break from it.

Now as far as NaNoWriMo goes I have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm going to write. Eh. I've been keeping a big-big-of-random-thoughts-and-ideas for the past 5 years. I figure I'll go in there, snatch up a few ideas, characters, grab a handful of quotes and write.

User ID is belial.1980. (Which is, of course, the same user ID for my bank, credit cards, work computer, etc. Same password too.  :-\) Good luck to everybody!
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 03:38:13 AM »
I'll be attempting it this year. No clue what I'm writing but I will be in it up to my neck drowning on the writer's block in a sea of illiteracy.

???

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 09:46:24 AM »
I have a vague idea of what I'm going to write.  I'll be taking the original characters from my Laurell K. Hamilton fanfic and giving them their own playground.  Some stuff will change.  For instance, my werewolves aren't nearly as polite or naked as hers are, and my vampire isn't nearly as pretty or naked as hers are.  And my main werewolf has undergone a name change.  Damn you, Stephanie Meyers, for naming your werewolf 'Jacob'!

I'm prepared to run screaming and flailing into writer's block.  I have near at hand my handy-dandy Plot Hat.  Well, it's in a mug so it's more like a handy-dandy Plot Coffee Cup, but still.  It's full of plot ideas I can pull out when I get stuck and my promise to myself is that no matter what is going on in the story at the point I'm stuck, I'll have to work in the plot twist.  And do so with complete seriousness; my characters will have to remain in-character and react exactly as they should.

So far I have:
- Ninja bunnies attack
- A character in the scene is turned into a dog
- A crazy hobo bursts into the scene and prophesizes DOOOOooooom
- A rogue storm boils up out of nowhere and reduces the building the scene is taking place in to kindling
- The characters in the scene abruptly reverse emotions - calm characters become hyper, happy characters become furious
- An earthquake strikes

Needless to say, some of these will not make it through revisions.  But most of them should get me at least halfway through the day's wordcount, whatever else happens. 

I kinda hope ninja bunnies attack.  The next couple of lines write themselves.

"What the hell is that?!"
"That," she said grimly, "is a plot twist."
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »

I kinda hope ninja bunnies attack.  The next couple of lines write themselves.

"What the hell is that?!"
"That," she said grimly, "is a plot twist."
Followed by her putting on sunglasses and "Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhh!" going into "Won't Get Fooled Again"?
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 01:10:55 PM »
For those still on the fence, FYI:  50,000 words in a month works out to just over 1600 words/day--sounds like a lot, but really isn't... ;)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
For those still on the fence, FYI:  50,000 words in a month works out to just over 1600 words/day--sounds like a lot, but really isn't... ;)

I agree.  On a good day, I can meet my word count quota in two hours or less.  If I get bored, i space out and go beyond my quota
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »
Now as far as NaNoWriMo goes I have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm going to write. Eh. I've been keeping a big-big-of-random-thoughts-and-ideas for the past 5 years. I figure I'll go in there, snatch up a few ideas, characters, grab a handful of quotes and write.

User ID is belial.1980. (Which is, of course, the same user ID for my bank, credit cards, work computer, etc. Same password too.  :-\) Good luck to everybody!
  S'okay, I do the same.  i know--shouldn't do that. :-(

However for those of us NOT doing NaNoWritMo, can we give you a list of words to use in your book?  Might stimulate your creative juices and I suspect you could get such an odd mix that it's sure to be original?  Let us know if you want us to help with that jump start.

Same for you J3nee!  or anyone else?  I don't know maybe ten from your writing buddies?  You could post when the words show up in your posting. 

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
  S'okay, I do the same.  i know--shouldn't do that. :-(

However for those of us NOT doing NaNoWritMo, can we give you a list of words to use in your book?  Might stimulate your creative juices and I suspect you could get such an odd mix that it's sure to be original?  Let us know if you want us to help with that jump start.

Same for you J3nee!  or anyone else?  I don't know maybe ten from your writing buddies?  You could post when the words show up in your posting. 

Sound like a great idea! The more unusual the word the better, lol. Hmm that reminds me...there's a word that Shakespeare used in one of his plays, and it received a special designation because it's only been published once in English literature. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I had it written down somewhere but have since lost it and haven't had any luck looking it up online. I always thought it would be funny to use it and, if ever published, make it the second occurrance.

Now as far as the nanowrimo goes, is it kosher to use old story ideas and such? Years ago I wrote a 4000 word story that I was thinking about expounding upon. I woudn't copy and paste anything; I'd just keep the characters/premise in mind and make a bigger work out of it? Is this kosher? Is it skirting the edges of "cheating?" I think some people have used outlines and such. Is it more in the spirit of the thing to go into it blindly or is it okay to have some forumalated ideas about what you plan to write?

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison