Author Topic: NaNoWriMo anyone?  (Read 30103 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: NaNoWriMo anyone?
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 12:55:38 AM »
3153 words so far, and I've finished my first chapter.  Off to a good start!
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 01:08:24 AM »
Wrote 772 words today and realized this is not what I want to write.  :(

Going in a different direction.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 03:37:38 AM »
3,260 words.... outlining definitely helped a ton. The first few chapters were the hardest, now I'm getting into the easier stuff... just wish my chapters were a bit longer. But that'll happen with rewrites in the next few months (if it turns out decent)

I like the intro/prologue so far, lemme know what you guys think...

"It was a sunny Tuesday evening when I awoke from my coma. The coma was a short one, by medical standards. However, nothing about me fits into what I would consider a medical standard.

I knew, as a young boy, that I was destined for greatness. I dreamed of becoming the world's greatest hero. A dream most young children probably shared at some point in their lives. I lived it.

While kids my age were playing hide n' seek or learning their ABC's, I was selflessly protecting these United States of America from the evils of the world. Nazis, Martians, cataclysmic disasters. I've stopped them all. And here, on the eve of my death bed, feels no better place than any to recollect them each for the next generation. Somewhere out there is a little boy who dreams of something greater.

This is for him."

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/515912

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:39:38 AM by Darwinist »

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 03:47:52 AM »
Very cool!

I wrote 772 words of the story I thought I was going to write today, and then scrapped it and wrote 2185 words of what I'm really going to write, which really isn't a "story" at all. More like an unauthorized autobiography! LOL

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 04:16:42 AM »
Unauthorized Autobiography

heh! That would be a cool title!

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 05:47:41 AM »
2107 words. Not a great start but if I can keep up that pace I'll make 50K. I don't have a title yet, though for now I'm calling it "Burn."

Gotta a lot of wierd ideas crashing around: a dead universe with only one star remaining while all the others have burnt out, a society that lives in enormous crypt-like cities where the dead outnumber the living a million to one, reproduction via three genders: male, female, and "other." (no name for this third gender yet) Reproduction means death to all three participants as they form a crysalis from which 2 males, 2 females, and one of the third gender hatch from. Interplanetary travel through magical means, ancestor worship, and armies of the dead.

Main characters include a rebellious exorcist/conjurer, a petulant countess that secretly practices the forbidden worship of fire gods sleeping inside the dormant star, and an unhinged fighter whose been locked away in a madhouse because he's deemed a politcal threat. The antagonist thus far is a high priest of the ancestor-worshipping theocracy who's got a a sardonic sense of humor. Hopefully it'll turn into something interesting.

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 06:39:20 AM »
It sounds pretty interesting already!

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
7046, my e-peen is bigger than your e-peen.

I think I can get to 30 or 40k... but I don't know if I have enough story left to really fill out 50k lol.

How's everyone else doing?

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 11:10:39 PM »
3,209 words as of right now, but I'm gonna keep writing after dinner.  ;D

Premise-

It was Halloween night when Eva's brother disappeared, leaving no note, no clue, no body. There was no trace of him left at all- at least until Eva fell asleep in her missing brother's room and woke up in a world of shadows.

A world of Masks.

Now Eva's doing everything she possibly can to find her brother and get them both back home... before the people hunting her brother find him first.

:D? :D?
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 11:40:07 PM »
so far in mine, my character has had a dream, hit the snooze, got up, got ready for work. Went to work and is now chatting with a friend. Other than that... waiting for the right moment to fit in the zombies or other supernatural element to make it interesting. Did I mention he works in a library... zzzzz...

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 01:29:03 AM »
Well, now I'm VERY happy I managed to get 10k on Sunday.  Today, I barely cleared the 1667 daily word count, and tomorrow will probably be worse.  I just can't write at night, after doing everything I have to do.  My brain doesn't cooperate.  I had hoped to be at 12,500 tonight but my synapses not only aren't firing, they're sitting back in their La-Z-Boys with beer and Chee-tohs.

So it looks like I will indeed be doing the majority of my writing on the weekends.  If I can do at least 1400 - 1500 on weekdays, I'll be content with that and will then push hard on the weekends.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 05:54:00 AM »
I am using a trick from Brandon Sanderson (You knew he was an associate Professor teaching creative writing, right  ;) )

He says to consider your story a map, and to plant a sequence of guidepost across it. use each guide post to tell an important part of the story.

In the Na-No world setup, I try to finish a guide post a night. Each one has been averaging 2000+ words and the twenty five stops each provide a solid start and end to a writing session.

4905 words to date (not counting the 5600 setup work) but tonight is a sub arc that need more length, gotta put my head down and start slogging.

Writing as Gunns in NM Albuquerque,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2009, 06:26:22 AM »
Up at 5975 now, although it's after midnight so I guess that's day three.

Here's my synopsis -
Lillianna successfully thwarts what she imagines is the first step to a forced marriage, but in doing so, destroys the lives of the man she seduces and the woman who loves him. She is banished from her family’s metropolitan estate to live with an aunt in an austere academic community. Her narcissist attitudes erode as she’s caught in the intrigues surrounding unimaginably ancient artifacts and first contact with galactic civilization.

Favorite line today -
Lillianna slumped back in her chair. “People get really over excited about such little things.”

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2009, 10:12:13 AM »
Well the system is still working,

up to 8909, the sub arc is done, and the solution involved chelation.

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 11:27:11 AM »
I've decided I've been too hard on female urban fantasy writers and their penchant for romance plot lines.  It had gotten bad enough that I began to complain that women were evidently incapable of writing without romance either being the main point of the story, or at least as important as the ostensible central plot.

But now I need a subplot.  My story's going well, actually.  I'm at just over 18k, I have a good daily word count (around 3k yesterday!) but I'm feeling that it's all a little too ... linear somehow.  I sat and stared at where I'd left off.  The cops have just delivered their warning, the werewolves are off doing their thing, it's daylight so the vampire's asleep, Rachel's alone in her shop, and I thought "This is where the subplot should begin."

Only I don't have one.  And the first thing that occurred to me?  Re-writing a bit to start a romance with the male cop.

NO!  Bad Kali!  So now I'm thinking that so many people use romance because it's easy.  They're built around emotion, so you can get immediate involvement with the reader.  They come with a whole host of built-in complications, and they can easily tangle your main plot into something more thorny and knotty.  So NaNo has given me a whole new perspective on the prevalence of romance in urban fantasy. In recognition whereof I donated $25 to NaNo.  It was worth it.

Instead of starting in on a romance, I took Rachel off to the Catholic church to get some holy water, and gave her a crush on a very nice Roman Catholic priest.  That should shut 'er up for awhile.

Today should be a busy day at work, so I'm not sure I'll have time to daydream up a new plotline, but I gotta come up with something.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com