Author Topic: Do you use "inspirational material"?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Willowhugger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The United Federation of Charles
Do you use "inspirational material"?
« on: December 26, 2006, 04:25:15 AM »
For me, when writing contemporary fantasy, I make it a point to surround myself with Hellblazer, Witch Hunter Robin, Anita Blake, and Harry Dresden (even Kim Harrison sometimes) while writing.  It helps me stay focused on the kind of genre I want to write in. I think Steven King said something like "writing is like milk.  It tastes like whatever its next to in the fridge."

I actually screw myself occasionally by going to read or watch something widely different from what I want to right.
Check out my blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Willowhugger

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: Do you use "inspirational material"?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 03:20:12 PM »
Yes, i definately use this method. 

Merely being around books gets my mind in that creative mode, so I have my desk covered in books.  A lot of writing books and screenplays of my favorite movies, plus books I've read and really liked.  It's all about atmosphere and energy.  I think the creative energy collects around objects that stimulate the mind.  At least for me.

Plus I read all the time, and I try to pick books that are in the same genre/style as what i'm going for in my book.  So in the beginning of my book it was a lot of SK's Dark Tower.  Now it's Dresden, and a little bit of Niel Gaiman.  Just yesterday my aunt was nagging me about reading "Hostage," the book on which that Bruce Willis movie was based.  I love the movie, and I'm sure the book is even better.  But I just can't switch pace like that when I'm in the middle of writing this fantasy/horror book.

And music is a big motivator for me.  I listen to a lot of movie scores when I write.  And occassionally a few select rock tracks.  Mainly from Tool, because they pretty much emulate the mood of my entire life.  The Batman Begins soundtrack, Braveheart and Apocalypto are my main scores right now.  Amazing music, the stuff that makes your skin crawl.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Abstruse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:36:20 PM »
I find that if I read something in a similar genre of what I'm writing, I tend to start adapting the style of whatever I'm reading.  If I'm reading Robert B Parker, my characters start becoming more smart-assed and my sentence structure becomes simpler.  If I'm reading Gaiman, my wording seems to flow more like poetry.  If I'm reading Tolkien, my writing becomes more formal and textbook-like.

I tend to like listening to music for inspiration and clearing out anything I'm reading first.  Fast punk music for action, mellow reggae ska or alternative for slower scenes, fast jumpy ska for comedy or light-hearted scenes...okay, so my musical tastes aren't very eclectic, but it works for me :p

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 05:16:14 PM »
I find that if I read something in a similar genre of what I'm writing, I tend to start adapting the style of whatever I'm reading.  If I'm reading Robert B Parker, my characters start becoming more smart-assed and my sentence structure becomes simpler.  If I'm reading Gaiman, my wording seems to flow more like poetry.  If I'm reading Tolkien, my writing becomes more formal and textbook-like.

I tend to like listening to music for inspiration and clearing out anything I'm reading first.  Fast punk music for action, mellow reggae ska or alternative for slower scenes, fast jumpy ska for comedy or light-hearted scenes...okay, so my musical tastes aren't very eclectic, but it works for me :p

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

I usually listen to more aggressive music while i'm writing high-tension scenes - or scenes i want to turn out high tension, anyway.  The battle music from (insert epic fantasy/historical movie here) is best for these scenes, but occassionally I'll get in the mood for rock.  Something I can hear in a movie trailer or something like that.

I also sometimes watch good movie trailers before I start writing.  Right now my favorites are 300, Transformers, Live Free or Die Hard, and Seraphim Falls.  Trailer editing is an art in itself, and it's a hobby of mine too. 

The "300" trailer will get the blood flowing in any situation.  Everyone should check it out.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos