Author Topic: An odd request...  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Vokills

• Lurker
    • View Profile
An odd request...
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
Hi, I'm rather new on these boards, and I wasn't sure where to put this request, but it seems reasonably appropriate.

I'm in a magazine feature writing class in college, and we have to have a "personality piece" interview in a couple of weeks, and I couldn't think of who in the world to interview.

Then it hit me.

Jim Butcher.  Because he's awesome.

So, can anyone here help me land a small interview with Mr. Butcher for a college project?  It would be kind of awesome to have my project involve not only a published author, but one of my personal heroes (in terms of literature).

Thanks, and sorry if this post is either super creepy or rude or something.  I'm pretty busy today, no time to form questions and ideas into coherent forms of communication.

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
Re: An odd request...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »
That is neither creepy or rude.  I am unsure on the logistics involved with getting that.  I would guess that if you were looking to e-mail some questions to him, he would reply to them, just don't expect an answer to whether or not Fidelous will live through the next book.  Also, go through the interview thread so that you can know what questions have already been asked.  Good research goes a long way
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline Vokills

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:40:42 PM »
Oh wow, I didn't even notice the Interview Thread.  Thanks for that, I feel a little silly.

Also, no, I have no intention of asking for spoilers.  Though they would be nice.

I have no delusion that I'll actually get a chance to do this, but now that I've got most of my friends reading Dresden Files (finally, it only took like four years), I would be the King of the Nerds in my social circle.

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »
Depending on when it is due, I would recommend getting the email out to him a few weeks in advance. Who knows when he'll have an opportunity to check them. The man is writing two book series, doing signings, interviews, etc.

Is this something you could get from a simple email to the author, or would you have to do this through his publisher/agent? Guess it couldn't hurt emailing him directly

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »
He has a twitter account, there's a link from the sidebar on the main page.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Persephone

• Posty McPostington
  • Random, uncensored, bizarre, but worth it!
    • View Profile
    • My Official Photography Site
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 08:48:40 PM »
I'd sugject asking him on Twitter... or sending him a PM to his forum accounts. I don't know how ofter he checks PM's here, but I do know he's pretty responsive to posts to him on Twitter.
Persephone aka The Liz
Queen of Hellfire  ~"Long May She Reign"~
twitter @theliz13
Science Fiction Writer
My Little Pony Addict.
"The devils NOT in the details, he's named in my divorce"

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:53:31 PM »
Shecky just posted that he's a month behind on one book, two shorts, and then he starts in on finishing Changes. 

I wouldn't hold my breath, as I fear that the guys writing, sleeping, writing sleeping, writing writing writing, sleep depraved!  I'm sure that Shannon makes sure he eats once in awhile. 

I'd e-mail Mickey or Prescellie to see if they think it's a good idea to ask before you start twitter request.  Just because the guy is accessible, doesn't mean we should push it.  :-)  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if his agent limited his interviews---especially if he's behind on his writing schedule! 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess