Author Topic: Harry in your stories  (Read 3024 times)

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
Harry in your stories
« on: September 06, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
Ok admitted how many of you would love for Harry to make a guest appearance in your writings?
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Harry in your stories
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »
FYI: Dresdenverse fanfic is a "don't ask, don't tell" subject around here, by Jim's request. Not that he disapproves of fanfic in general; it's just something that's legally best kept under the radar so he can avoid headaches and continue having the great relationship with his fans that we all enjoy.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »
I was not talking about fan fiction sorry for the confusion. I was referring to having Harry making an appearance in your writing ie JB contacts you after reading some of your published work and offers to collaborate on a story arc where Harry appears.
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline Heretic

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
I was not talking about fan fiction sorry for the confusion. I was referring to having Harry making an appearance in your writing ie JB contacts you after reading some of your published work and offers to collaborate on a story arc where Harry appears.

Well, Justin Gustainis has (almost) done that.
What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 11:39:55 PM »

Well, Justin Gustainis has (almost) done that.

How so? I haven't read his work but have been meaning to do so because I've heard good things about it.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Heretic

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 12:23:20 AM »
Good books - I recommend 'em.    Dunno if I should spoiler-tag this, but just in case:

(click to show/hide)
What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 12:33:39 AM »
Good books - I recommend 'em.    Dunno if I should spoiler-tag this, but just in case:

(click to show/hide)
See, to me, that treads dangerously close to stealing Jim's IP.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 12:55:45 AM »
Hmmm. Well I know that H.P. Lovecraft and other writers worked in a "shared universe." I imagine that Gustainis did that as a purposeful homage; a sign of respect and admiration of Jim and his work. But unless a writer has professional or personal ties to another writer I'd steer far clear of that just because of copyright issues.

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:58:56 AM »
Hmmm. Well I know that H.P. Lovecraft and other writers worked in a "shared universe." I imagine that Gustainis did that as a purposeful homage; a sign of respect and admiration of Jim and his work. But unless a writer has professional or personal ties to another writer I'd steer far clear of that just because of copyright issues.

Yeah..but I'm fairly sure Jim is NOT in a shared universe...and while I can see he maybe did it as an include to Jim...it's stil using stuff Jim came up with without (I assume) Jim's ok.

But...I think I'm walking over the line into speaking for Jim, so I'll shut up now!! :)
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »
http://www.sfbok.se/asp/artikel.asp?VolumeID=68142
I've only read Gustainis first novel, but as you can (almost) see from the picture Jim has read the story. I don't remember exactly but I think he also thanks Jim for input to a fledgeling writer in the foreword or afterword with the implication they are friendly acquaintances(sp) at least.

Since my personal Epic Fantasy a) is set in an imaginary world and b) stalled after 2 pages, a guest-appearance would be... awkward. No thanks.
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
Yeah..but I'm fairly sure Jim is NOT in a shared universe...and while I can see he maybe did it as an include to Jim...it's stil using stuff Jim came up with without (I assume) Jim's ok.

But...I think I'm walking over the line into speaking for Jim, so I'll shut up now!! :)

IIRC, it WAS done with Jim's permission.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 05:24:28 PM »

Not at all, not even slightly.  Jim has a very distinct style and voice I'm not at all sure anything of mine would mix well with.

Somebody showing up reading a copy of a Dresden book, like in whichever of the Laundry stories it is that Bob Howard does, is more my speed.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
Since my current series in progress is set in the "real" world, several decades before Harry's birth and in which magic does not exist...nope.  Don't see it happening.  But FWIW, my male protagonist would probably love The Dresden Files if some of them happened to fall through a wormhole in time to the late 1940's.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »
IIRC, it WAS done with Jim's permission.
Well then, not an issue!!
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God