Author Topic: Alright How about sidekicks. favorites? pro and cons. lets hear it.  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Gritti

• Participant
    • View Profile
My request for what makes a great villian great was so helpful to my current project, and big thanks for that.  Now I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on side kicks, or the hero's reflection in the story if you'd all be so kind.  No holds barred.  Bring it on.

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
Re: Alright How about sidekicks. favorites? pro and cons. lets hear it.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:47:15 AM »
Personally, the best stories I've read have always been from one person's point of view. You introduce a side kick who shares almost as much screentime and you can tend to really bog down the characters development, plot, or ingenuity. No longer do we rely on the main character to progress the narrative, we gotta rely on this other person to do so as well.

Are there exceptions? Sure... Watson to Holmes is a good one.

Personally, if you go with a sidekick, it would probably work better if you relegate it as more of a SIDE character. No more, no less, screen time than any other secondary character.

But that's just me.... and Joel Schumacher's enemies.

Offline Gritti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:06:25 AM »
A truely excellent point.  I have to admit that the character I had considered my hero's sidekick is hard to maintain at all times.  I find myself saying oh yeah his friend is there too what should he do and before i know it I get tangled up with the plot progression.  I'm going to rethink some things.
thanks

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:02:32 PM »
It also depends on your genre. To use examples from film, there really isn't that much difference between Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Jar-Jar in Star Wars Ep. 1.  They are both somewhat bumbling characters with accents who exist for comic relief. Arguably, Jar-Jar is a better defined character, as he has clear flaws, goals, and a back story that is revealed throughout the film, but he is hated while Short Round is loved.

I think the reasons are that Short Round was at least competent in some areas. He was a good kid, and was able to play off the hero. Secondly, he was able to fade into the background when it was Indy's time to shine, but come right back when the Hero needed saving.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline madpoet

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »
Short Round is loved?  Where????  ;D  What an annoying git.

As I am currently rereading "Lamb" by Christopher Moore, my current favorite sidekick is Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.  In fairness though the story is told with him as the narrator so he almost feels like the main character as opposed to the sidekick.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »
I don't know that I think in terms of hero and sidekick all that much, but it seems to me that if you want a protagonist to have someone who makes a good partner, they have to complement each other in some ways, unless you are doing mentor/apprentice.

Batman and Robin are mentor and apprentice, but often (depending on when and which Robin) complementary characters, with Batman being cool and controlled and Robin more impulsive and emotional.  (As a sweeping generalisation over a long and complex character history)

Holmes and Watson are not exactly mentor and apprentice, but they are mentor and apprentice shaped in that Holmes explains things to Watson all the time.  To some extent Watson is a foil to allow Holmes to explain stuff to the reader.

Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin are a great example of complementary equals.  Jack Aubrey knows ships in great detail and is a defastatingly good and competent naval commander.  Stephen Maturin falls in the sea a lot can cannot remember the simplest nautical terminology.  Jack Aubrey is a hopless naif on land (and blithely unaware of it), and is taken in by the simplest swindle. Stephen Maturin on land is a lethally sharp intelligence agent.  What that allows that series of books to do is firstly, to have a complex and real balance in the friendship, who takes care of whom and how.  And secondly, that whatever is actually going on, be it a sea battle of a complex political intrigue the author has the choice of putting the reader in the head of a) someone who knows nothing about it and needs everything explained to him or b) someone who is very good at it indeed and can plausibly handle it well and to a successful conclusion, and the combination of this is great for getting information to the reader.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Gritti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »
Fantastic feedback,  Thanks so much.  It's opening up a sorts of possibilities I hadn't thought of. keep em coming everyone.