Author Topic: Pocket universes in the Nevernever  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Pocket universes in the Nevernever
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:03:30 PM »
I've been rereading Grave Peril and I've had my interest piqued by the idea of pocket universes in the nevernever. We see it with Agatha Hagglethorn's Chicago and there is mention that some really powerful dreams can generate their own reality, too.

So it got me thinking, if some dreams can generate their own reality, why not really strong imagination. What if a single-minded focus, dedication and attention to detail along with the collective imaginations of millions has created its own reality in the Nevernever- say like a Middle Earth.

Really, though it could take the form of any story (book, movie or anything else) that you wanted!

So when the DFRPG comes out, I'm going to be asking for some help statting up a Balrog to toss at my group when they begin their trek into Moria ;D

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 07:06:09 PM by Tush Hog »

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket universes in the Nevernever
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:01:35 AM »
Interesting idea!  I wonder if there's a Henry Darger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Darger) section of the Nevernever in Chicago?  Running into the Vivian Girls would be rather creepy, IMHO.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline White Council Scribe

• Conversationalist
  • I prepared Explosive Runes this morning!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 04:03:58 AM »
It's not a bad idea, but if using it as raw material for fanfiction, I would be -very- careful.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:40:33 PM »
It's not a bad idea, but if using it as raw material for fanfiction, I would be -very- careful.
Just going to use it for gaming purposes only  :)

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:20:13 PM »
I wonder if H.H. Holmes and his "Murder Castle" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes) left a psychic impression on Chicago?  I'm guessing that sane wizards don't attempt to enter the Nevernever in that area...
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 10:54:20 PM »
I wonder if H.H. Holmes and his "Murder Castle" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes) left a psychic impression on Chicago?  I'm guessing that sane wizards don't attempt to enter the Nevernever in that area...
:o That's one sick individual. I've got to use that somehow! That would be one scary place in the Nevernever.

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »
I think that the pocket universe's are created with a creature with a strong affinity to that local.  The Fey is the closest along side universe.  sort of like makeing a local call as opposed to long distence
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:09:52 PM »
:o That's one sick individual. I've got to use that somehow! That would be one scary place in the Nevernever.

If you want to learn more, I recommend The Devil In The White City by Eric Larson (it's referenced several times in the Wikipedia entry).  I learned a lot of cool history from that book, and not just about H. H. Holmes!

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 03:10:11 AM »
If you want to learn more, I recommend The Devil In The White City by Eric Larson (it's referenced several times in the Wikipedia entry).  I learned a lot of cool history from that book, and not just about H. H. Holmes!
Thanks! I just placed my order on Amazon  ;D

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 04:37:23 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation! Just finished the book and really enjoyed it. Now, I'm completely fascinated by the White City and the Fair. I'm absolutely going to work it into my Dresden game.

I visited Chicago a few years ago and now I want to go back and visit some of these places I didn't even know existed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:56:13 AM by Tush Hog »

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
OK, now that the release of the game is in sight, I thought I might revisit the pocket universes.

I'm definitely thinking of working in a "trip" to middle earth, but a fight with a sith lord might be cool, too!  ;)

Could the system handle being pushed into other genres?

If you were going to take your group on a trip to a pocket universe like this in the nevernever how would you do it?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »

It should, but the amount of heavy lifting you'll have to do to implement the features of the other universes is going to vary depending on what you're looking to emulate. *This* game is about emulating the Dresden Files.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »

I have personally used FATE to run a very successful Exalted game. I've done a conversion but not played something that can be described as D&D tropes leak into the real world and come to affect world level politics. I know of someone who's run a Star Wars game with it.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 03:25:49 AM »
Excellent, sounds like I shouldn't have much trouble.