Author Topic: weapon advice--writers or not...  (Read 6926 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: weapon advice--writers or not...
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »
If its cutting through Time, you can do all sorts of fun things to block a blow that neatly sidesteps physics entirely.  It could slash a short term rift in space-time that (due to the necessity of normal cause/effect in the universe) cannot be passed through edgewise.  The effect would be a floating line of Do-Not-Pass.  The possibilities are endless when space/time manipulation is involved.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
If its cutting through Time, you can do all sorts of fun things to block a blow that neatly sidesteps physics entirely.  It could slash a short term rift in space-time that (due to the necessity of normal cause/effect in the universe) cannot be passed through edgewise.  The effect would be a floating line of Do-Not-Pass.  The possibilities are endless when space/time manipulation is involved.
True, but using those early in the narrative would be like watching the matrix with Neo being able to fly and stop the bullets in mid-flight from the beginning. You would lose out on the skyscraper window not-escape and the training, and the kung fu.

It looks like meg was looking for a beliveable way to have the hero fight of the ghoul using the weapon as a simple tool before unlocking the artifact level goodies, which would likely work better for her scene.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »
True, but using those early in the narrative would be like watching the matrix with Neo being able to fly and stop the bullets in mid-flight from the beginning. You would lose out on the skyscraper window not-escape and the training, and the kung fu.

It looks like meg was looking for a believable way to have the hero fight of the ghoul using the weapon as a simple tool before unlocking the artifact level goodies, which would likely work better for her scene.
Oh, true.  It still has the same deus ex issues that any added superpower would if its early in the story.  Its just a cool way to go about it without needed a whole list of unrelated powers.  If its already going to cut space/time/magic, how does that relate to a chakra blade extension ability (sorry for the Naruto reference, it wont happen again  :P)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
hey if its gonna cut magic, can it cut the magic that animates the ghoul? assuming youre animating yours of course
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »
or maybe hyper-age the sword so that it turns to rust on contact when the MC blocks/parries?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »
One question on the knife: Since you are specifying that the knife is designed for defense, does it have a basket hilt or an oversize guard? If so that changes things.  A basket hilt is almost a small shield, and you can punch block another hand weapon with one rather easily without using the blade at all.
Just an oversized guard.  My whole thought process was tied up with that intriguing little cut into the metal near the hilt that is designed to snag, trap, and twist the larger weapon out of the other's hand.  I've never found a place to use that and it seems like such a useful little inclusion in smaller weapons. Sort of the small shall endure type thing that I love--but in this case...  

Another thing that comes up... Can you parry with a basket hilt?  I guess I think of the basket as protection of the fingers beneath--not as a parry device.

The main character receives it as a gift at the point her powers manifest.  So she has only the simple comment that it does that.  The knife is minimized and causes her problems when she assumes it will help her with her current delimima. Since she has no training or understanding, it only gets her into hot water and doesn't solve her problem at all.  The space/time travel thing is used by an older character with years of training.  For my main charater she will not obtain full use of the knife for at least two more books.  We must grow into our magic--gifted magic knifves or not--at least in the world I created.

Frankly, the discussion did a great job of bringing me back to reality and the true capabilities of my main character.  She's not designed to be warrior woman, even if she were completely up to speed with her magic abilities.  Not that she needs rescuing--it's just not going to happen with her weapon or magic skill at this point of her life.  She has to use her wits and her problem solving abilities to get the job done.  Who knows with training and if the need arose for later books---if I consider a series.

or maybe hyper-age the sword so that it turns to rust on contact when the MC blocks/parries?
  Oh, oh, oh--that would be cool.  I'll keep for later use!  thank you!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »
the type of knife your looking for is called a main gauche!  its made for catching and trapping swords, just as you suggest  ;)

it went out of style around the time rapiers came INTO style.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 11:27:11 PM »

Another thing that comes up... Can you parry with a basket hilt?  I guess I think of the basket as protection of the fingers beneath--not as a parry device.

It depends on what the basket is made of, but yes, you can parry with a basket hilt. I know because I have.

This is the kind of basket hilt I use on my SCA swords:

It's a hilt designed specifically for SCA heavy combat, made of a high-density, high-durometer, injection-molded Sanoprene material. The form loosely matches a Scottish basket hilt shown here:

These hilts are designed to save your hand from being cut by a sword, and you can use that to stop the blade from hitting you. The technique that works best for me is to make a punching motion with the hilt aiming at the pivot point of the blade's swing. The entire movement takes maybe a quarter of a second.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 04:05:44 AM »
the type of knife your looking for is called a main gauche!  its made for catching and trapping swords, just as you suggest  ;)

it went out of style around the time rapiers came INTO style.
  Okay, I have a new favorite website!!!  main gauche is exactly what I was thinking.. only wish they were older than 17th century.. but check this out!  http://www.swordsofhonor.com/daggers.html  But my overall favorite is this one for my character.  It's perfect.  http://www.toledosword.com/pr/CASSH2208TS.html#CASSH2208

These hilts are designed to save your hand from being cut by a sword, and you can use that to stop the blade from hitting you. The technique that works best for me is to make a punching motion with the hilt aiming at the pivot point of the blade's swing. The entire movement takes maybe a quarter of a second.
Your model looks less likely to get caught in defensive mode.  The spainish one is gorgeous.

But I fear you lost me on the "pivot point of the blade's swing"  - wouldn't the pivot point be the person's wrist or elbow?  Or do I need to go more 3d here rather than the simple thrust.  The pivot point would shift to a section of the blade if the wrist or elbow is thrusting forward, but also spinning it somewhat? Can't seem to picture that.  I admit my fighting skills are based from fencing classes in college----years ago. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:11:16 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 11:48:50 AM »
But I fear you lost me on the "pivot point of the blade's swing"  - wouldn't the pivot point be the person's wrist or elbow?  Or do I need to go more 3d here rather than the simple thrust.  The pivot point would shift to a section of the blade if the wrist or elbow is thrusting forward, but also spinning it somewhat? Can't seem to picture that.  I admit my fighting skills are based from fencing classes in college----years ago. 
The pivot point I'm talking about is anywhere from the wrist of the hand holding the sword to the first 1/4 of the the blade from the hilt. It's much easier to stop a blade there, because there is less force needed to stop it in that area. A long cutting blade is a lever, and the most force is going to be at the end of the blade. All fencing except schlager and saber to a lesser extent has very little to do with an actual swordfight, since epee and smallsword are thrusting weapons with low mass and no blades. I guess modern fencing weapons are similar to some of the dueling swords used in the late Renaissance, but using them to model a fight between someone using a scimitar or other heavy blade is not a good idea. Most longswords (and scimitars) are slashing weapons with a heavy blade and no sharpened tip. They are very different fighting styles.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:32:45 PM by jtaylor »

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 03:28:15 AM »

May I suggest this site:
http://www.thearma.org/
... assuming that the ghoul in question is using Western European sword techniques. On the other hand, this might be a good starting point for other 'traditional' techniques, such as those that Saladin's forces used against the Crusaders.

I can't address your original question (parry a scimitar with a not-quite-Bowie knife) with any authority. All I can calculate is that, with magical boosting of speed and stamina, the character MIGHT be able to do a borderline-cinematic move. The image in my head borrows several frames from Neo's first bullet-dodge and assumes that the ghoul's strike is a nearly-horizontal cut more like a baseball swing, aimed at your character's waist. The character presents the flat of her knife to make contact with the ghoul's strike and guides it slightly upward, while she does the best limbo move in her life to get the ghoul's target under the plane of the strike.

The practical upshot is that she's not 'parrying the strike' so much as she is dropping under it. It's borderline-cinematic because a non-magically-augmented fighter might not be able to move fast enough to drop under a full-speed sword strike, and an all-out attack with a sword marks the ghoul as something other than a trained fighter, as well. I can only invoke the "Rule of Cool" to justify the suggestion at all.
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline Leonsagara

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 04:29:07 AM »
Going off what jtaylor said, it would also depend on how close your character is to the ghoul. If she can get inside his range, she has a much better chance of parrying since the ghoul wouldn't be able to swing the sword fully if he swings it down at her.  The ghoul's intelligence level can be a factor here.  If it has the intelligence of the average ghoul, it might not realize that a sword is not the best weapon to use when someone with a smaller weapon is within the range of your sword.

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 01:07:22 AM »
Since you've mentioned the blade was magic I had another thought. What if the blade's magical properties in the invisible realm/4th dimension/spirit world are incongruous with its physical qualities? I think you stated it's a defensive weapon, so maybe the wielder can defend with it as if they were using a bigger, more robust weapon.

I imagine the ghoul striking at her and she cringes and reflexively throws up the knife to parry. With a normal weapon, no way. But sparks fly as the blades collide and she's just as surprised as the ghoul to find out that she was able to block the strike. As the battle continues she may (or may not) notice that the knife casts an eerie shadow of a large sword that's easily a match for the scimitar. Just a random image that came to me all of a sudden.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »
Since you've mentioned the blade was magic I had another thought. What if the blade's magical properties in the invisible realm/4th dimension/spirit world are incongruous with its physical qualities? I think you stated it's a defensive weapon, so maybe the wielder can defend with it as if they were using a bigger, more robust weapon.

I imagine the ghoul striking at her and she cringes and reflexively throws up the knife to parry. With a normal weapon, no way. But sparks fly as the blades collide and she's just as surprised as the ghoul to find out that she was able to block the strike. As the battle continues she may (or may not) notice that the knife casts an eerie shadow of a large sword that's easily a match for the scimitar. Just a random image that came to me all of a sudden. 

For the moment, that is what I decided to do.  (See one of my earlier posts.)  I made the magical 'imprint' or size or power cover a larger area than the the physical knife itself.  I introduced it earlier in the book with a test so it blended in with the action.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
For the moment, that is what I decided to do.  (See one of my earlier posts.)  I made the magical 'imprint' or size or power cover a larger area than the the physical knife itself.  I introduced it earlier in the book with a test so it blended in with the action.

Hmm. Sort of a modified reverse of the Sun Blade:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#sunBlade

I say "modified" because the bastard-sword-sized weapon feels and handles like a short sword, whereas your dagger DOESN'T seem to feel or handle like a short sword but magically occupies the same space; it wouldn't make sense to have something dagger-sized feel as heavy and have the same inertia as a short sword. Is that about right?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.