Author Topic: Will the Dresden file RPG have supplements?  (Read 21747 times)

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
Re: Will the Dresden file RPG have supplements?
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 12:29:53 AM »
Well, in my defense, Suilan - there a lot of DM/GMs (as well as Rule Lawyers) mixed into the Group.

And I have done "DM Calls" that were ment for dramatic effect, and the next time something simular happens and I changed it. This causes the Players to become confused and the Game to come to a total screeching halt, because I did not take the time to actually recod what I had did, and why; and I run several different Games that I can forget.

Keeping the Game to the actual Book Rules is usually just easier.
I mean, if I happen to write the House Rules Book for that Game -
- like I did for Witchcraft that I print out and give to all the Players - Ok.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, as more Video Games become PvP, more and more Players are also being of this mindset.
Other Players will start doing PvP when the Game become boring, or doesn't go their way.
They mean it to be fun, and only rarely does this actually work.

It can be a difficult thing to overcome. -and takes the actual participating Players to shut this kind of thing down.
I'm usually too busy just trying to run the Game to catch this, as they will hide in in "civalized" borders,
until they decide to strike at the Party.

I just tend to tell my Players that if this happens, to defend themselves to the best of their ability.
If need be, I'll have some HPCs* come alone and "rescue" the other Players form the Bully PC.
* Hero Player Characters = Characters that I have actually built and played in other Games,
or that I have designed as Town Defenders against Intruders - possibly including these Player Characters.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like to get the good Supplements for town maps and terrain, since I don't always have the time to do these myself. But your right, if the whole Module is just based on a specific Creature, or Item,
I tend to not get it, and make my own Mod. But new Creatures, New Items, and etc - are eagerly sought after.
It's a bad habit, because I can forget what I intended to do with that Town or Dungeon, if left alone for very long - and so if the same PC Group goes back to there, things are radically changed  - and not enough time has passed to rally justify this.

D&D makes this a little easier, since there are both Magic and Wars that can change a Town's appearance.
But other gamesystems (like Witchcraft) this becomes a lot less believable, and I don't abuse Time Travel/Warping.
As for trying to get a GM Round Robin Game, Sci-Fi or Fantasy, all of these attempts have utterly failed.
Dresden Files RPG is supposed to release this year - D&D 4e isn't to be released until June through Aug of  2008.
So, your wish should be granted.
In point of fact, I have no gaming group at this time.
Everyone is just too busy, including myself. Once I have a new J.O.B. - I should be ok.

I need to find a new Group of Players.
Anyone in the KC, Mo area, and interesting in having me either join their Group as a Player, or be their DM?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:31:39 AM by DrygonDM »
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 07:52:02 AM »
In my offense, I gave up GMing when things/players got difficult and the D&D supplements became too many that I felt being crushed by an avalanche and was losing the overview and my control of the game --  so don't mind me waffling on about the perfect RP group that I supposedly have. (They have more than once reduced me to tears. ;)) Besides, it sounds like you always had very large groups / many players to watch out for. We're a confy 1 GM + 3 players (sometimes 4).

Dresden Files RPG is supposed to release this year

Ah, don't jinx it! (Keeping my fingers crossed.) That would be perfect timing.

Anyone in the KC, Mo area, and interesting in having me either join their Group as a Player, or be their DM?

Off by about 5500 miles. Otherwise I would have said: we're starting a new campaign this Sunday, come and have a look.   :) Good luck finding a new group and a new J.O.B.

Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline frankenship

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
I just purchased this game, but have been a gamer for a while and can tell you that -in general- a game that doesn't have supplements gets left out of the rumor cycle (and thus misses out on a lot of word of mouth advertising). 

Also, supplements NEED crunch IMO; devoid of rules discussion and/or expansion, a supplement is more akin to gamefiction.

I would like to see:

City Guides: Los Angeles, Hong Kong, etc. with npcs

A Magical Item Catalog with rules for playing them (animate?)

Historical: WWII, Victorian, Enlightenment, Elizabethan etc. with more creatures

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 02:28:25 PM »
You'll be getting some of that in the Paranet book we are working on. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline MAK

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 05:06:29 PM »
Historical! More historical, please.

At least some guidelines for handling different historical periods:
- tech level (hexing, equipment)
- effects to skill trappings (drive...)
- eras (how far can you go before no longer Dresden)

Building the cities ourselves is fun so finished writeups are not as essential as the above guidelines.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
Historical! More historical, please.

We'll be doing the Russian Revolution, for starters. :)

At least some guidelines for handling different historical periods:
- tech level (hexing, equipment)
- effects to skill trappings (drive...)
- eras (how far can you go before no longer Dresden)

Building the cities ourselves is fun so finished writeups are not as essential as the above guidelines.

We do plan on talking about sliding around the time period dial -- the author responsible for the Russian section just did his first draft of that topic, in fact.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 06:15:57 PM »
Thank you guys for doing the Paranet book Iago, I look forward to seeing it and appreciate all that you guys do!

Offline Malckuss

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 12:36:44 AM »
I'd love to see a book with expanded/additional Powers of the newer baddies and write-ups for the same, rules fro making your own powers similar to the rules for stunts, addition Sponsored Magic, pre-made spells (mostly Thaumaturgy/Rituals) and enchanted items.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 04:05:29 AM »
I'd love to see a book with expanded/additional Powers of the newer baddies and write-ups for the same, rules fro making your own powers similar to the rules for stunts, addition Sponsored Magic, pre-made spells (mostly Thaumaturgy/Rituals) and enchanted items.

That's a bit much, tho we will cover -some- of that territory.
Fred Hicks

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
Indeed, thanks for doing the paranet supplement.  I myself would not mind supplements that came out a year after each novel that updated the Dresdenverse's stats.
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline Malckuss

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 10:09:45 PM »
That's a bit much, tho we will cover -some- of that territory.

Mostly that was an Ultimate Wishlist of things I hear from my players (or whine about myself when making NPCs  ;D). I'd most like rules for building your own powers. I think that would go a long way towards eliminating the need for more material down the road and make my job as GM easier. The premade spells and trinkets would be gravy; some of my players have difficulty building/coming up with their own effects, and I would occasionally prefer to have a big list to choose from when building characters (I built 10 pregens for a con game in the last 2 weeks and I left all the spell stuff till last, so they came out feeling a little...generic; fortunately the players helped fix that for me)

I really like the rules, you & your company's approach to the fans, and appreciate that you don't want to break our pocketbooks with supplements.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »
Mostly that was an Ultimate Wishlist of things I hear from my players (or whine about myself when making NPCs  ;D). I'd most like rules for building your own powers.

Honestly I'm a bit mystified there. Powers are concatenated stunt effects, by and large. So you already have the rules. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
Honestly I'm a bit mystified there. Powers are concatenated stunt effects, by and large. So you already have the rules.

I believe its the difference of exactly how much better a supernatural power should be then a stunt that people have trouble with.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »
Defiantly cant wait to see the paranet book.   The one book i would like but i know is a near impossible feat (mostly due to waving opinions) is a who's who, a book of faces.   That being said i know it would be bring about the flame wars of  "they nerf'd this character" or "that's too over powered, LAME"   plus the big problem in stating out Icons is now that people have the stats let the killing commence.

Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:39 PM »
We did that in Our World already, and will be doing an update in Paranet.
Fred Hicks