Poll

What to preview next?

Primer & Paranormal Politics!
46 (66.7%)
Monsters!
23 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: What next?  (Read 7765 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
What next?
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:20:51 AM »
So, having run through the character types, I'm dithering on what content we should preview next.  There are two I'm zeroing in on as easiest for us to do next:

- The players' setting primer chapter ("Harry's World") plus the paranormal politics chapter ("Old World Order"), OR...
- The "Goes Bump" chapter that talks about the monsters and whatnot.  This would probably include the occasional statblock, though it may as often as not just stick to the setting fluff.

I'm almost certain to preview both eventually -- the question is, which do you want to see first?
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:46:19 AM »
I'd like to see the stuff that goes bump. I tend to make up a lot of the stuff that makes it into my own games regarding things like politics, but I generally use the ghoulies and ghosties of a setting mostly like they are in source material. As such, I'm more curious to see the treatment the baddies get.

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »
 I vote for Harry's World.
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline Knave

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
What goes bump please  :)

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
I say the primer.  I want to know how you're going to sell the setting.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:41:24 PM »
Seems the wind is blowing primer-wards, but I'll give it another day or two. Probably won't be able to take action until next week as it is.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 10:26:28 PM »
Hmmm....hard to decide - I want both. Shoot me the most up to date pdf you've got and I'll look them over then vote.  ;D

Since you plan on previewing both, give me the primer chapter first.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:27:10 PM »
I'd say the primer, as it would be a good way to get a start on getting ones head around mechanics of the game.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »
I'd say the primer, as it would be a good way to get a start on getting ones head around mechanics of the game.

If you can think of some general topics on the subject of the FATE role playing game, feel free to start them. I'd love to participate in such conversations, especially if they helped get some folks into FATE, since I love the thing.

(Although to be clear, I'm not involved with Evil Hat or anything. I'm just a dude on the internet who likes the system that's going to be powering it.)

Offline invictus

• Participant
  • Without lamps, there'd be no light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 01:52:55 AM »

Thats really quite true. I also say the primer should come next.
"Here is the Mirror of Galadriel," she said. "I have brought you here so that you may look in it, if you will."

:3:3:3:3:3:3:3:3:P:3:3:3:3:3:3

Offline theboy!

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »
I say we see what goes bump, politics can change but monsters tend to be a nice reliable flesh eating constant.

Offline Dogun

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »
I don't think the Primer is likely to get deep into explaining the system, but who knows, maybe I'm way off on that.  People already familiar with FATE or PDQ can probably make general sense of the previews that have been posted - I think I get the gist of it, in any case.  People who don't might want to poke around the evilhat wiki...

The Primer sounds like something we probably all already have in our heads, being Dresden Files readers; I'd say 'Things that go Bump'.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:49:58 PM by Dogun »

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 03:06:55 AM »
I vote for the Primer, but would also like to see a few monsters later on.
Monsters, y'see, are ten-a-penny, as they say. Aside from the library of books detailing monsters in RPG contexts already crowding game stores' shelves, there are also uncountable numbers of things available online. Yes, it could be a chore to translate the creatures' stats into FATE terms, but the basic materials for the task are freely available even as we... uh, read? Type? Whatever...
Settings, ironically, are much harder to come by. Not every game setting has *cough* their own private Chicago, and each of those are rather easy to tell apart. Shadowrun's version versus White Wolf's? No problem: Harry could take his morning jog through the White Wolf version of Chicago and probably only notice the difference if he was paying close attention, but the subtle and disturbing differences would start mounting after an hour or so. Shadowrun's version (aside from being set fifty-odd years in the future) has been quarantined by the military because it's been overrun by a dozen or more different tribes of anthropomorphic, man-sized insects.
I'm very interested in seeing how the Dresdenverse version of Chicago differs from the one I can visit by hopping on a plane, as well as how it differs from all the other alternate Chicagos out there...
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline HermesAlexandria

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 04:45:30 AM »
LOL I'd forgotten I'd joined this board about 2 years ago, but my browser remembered.

Voted: Primer

Damn you viral marketing!

Offline T.R.C.C.

• Posty McPostington
  • The Red Court Courier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 08:52:25 PM »
One more vote for the monsters.  ;D
Legitimatly earning money for the high cost of not living.
Hobbys include hunting down spelling and grammer mistakes with a dictionary shotgun, but a few slip by.