Author Topic: Your Writer's Place  (Read 8293 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Your Writer's Place
« on: December 18, 2006, 03:40:32 PM »
We all have our own little tricks that we do to get ourselves in the "zone," so to speak.  I listen to movie music and orchestra while I write.  If I'm not particlularly in the mood, but know I need to pump out some pages, I watch a few choice adrenaline-stirring scenes from movies like The Matrix, Braveheart, Gladiator, etc...  Occassionally I'll put in some music that I think would be the soundtrack for a particular scene.  I try to imbue every sense with the mood of the scene.  And reading always gets me primed for writing, so I usually read for a half hour to an hour before I start. 

Well, in addition to all this, I have to be in a particular place in order to have the right state of mind.  After much questing, my three writing places are, in order from most preferred to least: Perkins, Borders Book Store, Starbucks.

I can't explain why these places work.  Maybe because in all three of these places creative people hang out a lot, so maybe there's just an energy that gathers around them.  Anyhow, does anyone have a preferred spot they like to write?

I wonder where Mr. Butcher goes to create... ???
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
Re: Your Writer's Place
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:32:50 PM »
At the risk of being branded "World's Worst Employee"...  My best place to write is at work, when I'm supposed to be doing something else.  Put my headphones on with whatever music strikes my fancy (currently, Trans-Siberian Orchestra for the Christmas season), and just go to town, pausing to flip to other windows and actually DO some work in between paragraphs.

I used to be able to write anywhere, with pen and paper, but I have discovered in recent months that I am now addicted to the instant editing ability that writing on the computer affords.  Maybe if I have a laptop someday, I can expand my territory.

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
  • Uh...what was the question?
    • View Profile
    • Author Paige Cuccaro~ Alison Paige
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 07:01:50 PM »
I wonder where Mr. Butcher goes to create... ???

http://www.paigecuccaro.com/html/the_cave2.html

'bout halfway down the page, under the the Fred Flinstone cartoon. Jim at work.
Thanks to Shannon for snapping the pic. ;)

There are four pages of other author cave photos...er, office/ writing spaces.

Just sayin' ;D

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 07:48:29 PM »
Holy crap that's awesome! 

Anyone know what laptop Jim has??  In the pic it looks like a Toshiba Satellite, which is the same one I have.

At the risk of being branded "World's Worst Employee"...  My best place to write is at work, when I'm supposed to be doing something else.  Put my headphones on with whatever music strikes my fancy (currently, Trans-Siberian Orchestra for the Christmas season), and just go to town, pausing to flip to other windows and actually DO some work in between paragraphs.

I used to be able to write anywhere, with pen and paper, but I have discovered in recent months that I am now addicted to the instant editing ability that writing on the computer affords.  Maybe if I have a laptop someday, I can expand my territory.

I always get the vibe at work too, but I'm usually too busy to do anything about it.  Occassionally, if I just can't take it anymore, I bust out my laptop and type a page or so, just to satisfy the urge.

And yes, having a laptop is awesome for writing.  And you can get one that will work marvelously for writing for cheap, too!  I play one or two games on mine, also, but I do my best to keep it clear of stuff.  The games are mainly for when I'm at Perkins and need a break from writing.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 08:34:33 PM »
Currently my writing spot is on the couch with the laptop either on the table or propped on a book in my lap.  Apartment is pretty small so not many places to move around to and this is the best one to sit at...also here, World of Warcraft doesn't lag so much.

I've got a whole list of music I've been listening to lately when I write (new Evanecence, some anime music, random stuff gotten off soundtrack put together for a book, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, few songs from LotR soundtracks, etc).  But the music varies depending on how long its been listened to usually.

Usually I just sit on the couch and brood on one of my worlds or story ideas until my brain finally gets that I want to get some work done and kicks into gear.

And I agree, laptops are great for writing.  I had laptop and desktop before I got married and had most of the stuff I was working majorly on on the laptop.  Now, of course, everything's on the laptop plus a handful of older games 'cause my three year old laptop just can't run new games.  Hence why the hubbin's shiny new desktop is great to have.  ^^
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline prime_spirit

• Conversationalist
  • You only got one day that's your last...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 04:03:54 AM »
I'm a bit of an odd one here. I don't have a set place to be inspired. My bedroom is also a place I work so inspiration drizzle out when I glance my real-world paperwork. I guess it depends on what I feel at the moment. Usually, when I'm reaching a deadline for a project, my brain also kicks up my inspiration. After a healthy jog in the afternoon and a evening's rest, I find myself refeshed and inspired the next morning to the point of distraction.

I don't usually listen to music since I could get distracted by sound. I'm better at visual stimuli, so I surf for CG pictures. There's just something about other people's 3D artwork that gets my inspiration working. Savinoff's, Kagaya's, Lacoste's or in galleries like TerraEscape and CG Society. Often I download them, print and laminate, in case of a blackout and I can't access the PC... :)

Beta-testing: December 2007

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 04:53:53 AM »
I forget about this question about someone asks it. But it's one of my favorites. :D

I write in my room. My parents got me a writing desk with a few drawers a long time ago and I have pretty much everything around on it. I use the laptop more like a desktop when I'm writing. But on one side, there's the Gobstoppers, CDs and the headphones; on the other side, there's the dictionary, the thesaurus and the flash drive.

The music's usually instrumental, whether classical or techno.

Of all of the stuff, though, it's the swivel chair that really gets me in the mood. I need to roll it around the floor to rejuvenate my thinking. :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:55:35 AM by Kiriath »
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 04:57:23 AM »
I play one or two games on mine, also, but I do my best to keep it clear of stuff.  The games are mainly for when I'm at Perkins and need a break from writing.

I have a few games on mine for LAN parties. But other than them, it's only for writing. :D
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
A Miracle of Science

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 05:03:34 AM »
I don't usually listen to music since I could get distracted by sound. I'm better at visual stimuli, so I surf for CG pictures. There's just something about other people's 3D artwork that gets my inspiration working. Savinoff's, Kagaya's, Lacoste's or in galleries like TerraEscape and CG Society. Often I download them, print and laminate, in case of a blackout and I can't access the PC... :)

My background picture usually connects to the novel that I'm working on...

I'll give you a link, as I'm subscribing to this thread as those 3D sites look great. :)
Urban exploring websites - http://www.infiltration.org/ have a lot of abandoned places pictures. I think the color ones look cooler than the black and white ones, but they're all pretty useful.
A Miracle of Science

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 05:08:24 AM »

'bout halfway down the page, under the the Fred Flinstone cartoon. Jim at work.
Thanks to Shannon for snapping the pic. ;)

There are four pages of other author cave photos...er, office/ writing spaces.

V-Dub! ... Er, the Beetle! :D

(4 pages? Ooooh.)
A Miracle of Science

Offline SirThinks2Much

• Participant
  • Too pretty to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 09:42:38 AM »
I have two "writer's spots."

One, the preferred one, is sitting on my bed, leaning against a heap of pillows, with my laptop where its name implies, happily tapping away.

The other one in whatever classroom is holding the most boring lecture out of my class schedule.

I'll be resorting to that second one in a few weeks, sadly.
"What would you like on your vegetarian pizza?"
"Dead pigs and cows."
----
"Um. Say, Harry, that is quite the homicidal gleam in your eye."

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 11:50:38 AM »
also here, World of Warcraft doesn't lag so much

*raises hand* Hi, I'm Tas, and I'm an addict too. ;)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 04:28:26 PM »
As of this summer's exciting adventure in home-buying, I finally have a study of my own to write in, with a nice big double bed in which to sprawl with my laptop and notes spread out around me.  At the risk of sounding fourteen, one of the things I like best about it is that the walls are all dark red.

Unfortunately, my writing habits of working from after work Friday into the small hours of Saturday morning and then sleeping late on Saturday are kind of impaired by the people upstairs having small children sleeping in the room above my study, who get out of bed at 6 am and have discovered that jumping off the bed onto the floor really hard and loud is Fun.  But with luck they will grow out of it.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline prime_spirit

• Conversationalist
  • You only got one day that's your last...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 01:37:32 AM »

My background picture usually connects to the novel that I'm working on...

I'll give you a link, as I'm subscribing to this thread as those 3D sites look great. :)
Urban exploring websites - http://www.infiltration.org/ have a lot of abandoned places pictures. I think the color ones look cooler than the black and white ones, but they're all pretty useful.

Oh hey, thank you very much! These are really good. I've been looking for something more 21st century-ish and the Canadian factory and Toronto Subway looks perfect. :)

Beta-testing: December 2007

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 05:41:44 AM »
Quote from: prime_spirit
Oh hey, thank you very much! These are really good. I've been looking for something more 21st century-ish and the Canadian factory and Toronto Subway looks perfect. :)

Groovy! You're welcome. There's more from the links there, too. :)
A Miracle of Science