Author Topic: Where to publish short fiction?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Delvalen

• Participant
  • No hell but what we make
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Where to publish short fiction?
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:47:30 PM »
Hey guys! Looking for some help here as I freely admit that I am not the most experienced writer in the world!

I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any decent experiences with some sci-fi/fantasy magazines publishing their short fiction?

I'm looking to try to publish some of my own shorts, but I'd like to know if there's anything out there that I should look to right off the bat.

Any standouts? Or really, have you guys heard of any that are supposed to be good?

Thanks so much for your help!

Luke

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Where to publish short fiction?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »
I've never finished short fiction to try to sell it, but a lot of what I've seen from different sites and magazine submission guidelines is to know the market you're selling to, and to know the kind of target audience that reads the magazine, and the type of work the magazine generally publishes.  A suggestion from I think Realms of Fantasy was to buy a couple issues of a magazine you're considering submitting to, and read what they put out.  So that you don't do something like submit a blood and guts horror story to Asimov, or something like that.  There's also a website I found, though I have no clue what it was now, that gave a lot of option to search for and came up with a list of places, along with how they accept submissions, payment, and sometimes a link to guidelines.  I might possibly have the link somewhere on my home computer.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Delvalen

• Participant
  • No hell but what we make
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:23:20 PM »

Right on. Thanks. Let me know if you find that homepage, could you?

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
Right on. Thanks. Let me know if you find that homepage, could you?

It looks like it probably got lost at some point between computers.  And  I have no clue how I found it, either.  The closest I could find was firstwriter.com, though it looked like you had to join, and I didn't see if that required payment, to be able to get more info, like actual magazine titles and such.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »
I would think this is starting at the top, but give this a shot!

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/newsletter/july09.htm
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess