Author Topic: Books with companion soundtracks  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
Books with companion soundtracks
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »
Last year this book came out (can't remember the name), something to do with a library and a bookshelf for the cover with a male silhouette at the bottom, and on iTunes it came out with a companion music soundtrack to the book.  Is this something new or are books getting the same treatment to movies with their soundtracks?  The idea came up when I was outlining my book last night.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Books with companion soundtracks
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »
Only book I've seen it done with was a Star Wars book, Shadows of the Empire, but that was an odd one out because it got the soundtrack, a video game, action figures, and a comic.

From a quick search, it looks like the one you're talking about is "The Book of Lies" by Brian Meltzer.  The thing I have to wonder about, looking at the cd on Amazon, is how royalties and cost of rights tie in with it.  The CD is a made on demand type thing, and looks to be mostly classical, but still has more recent stuff.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »
Last year this book came out (can't remember the name), something to do with a library and a bookshelf for the cover with a male silhouette at the bottom, and on iTunes it came out with a companion music soundtrack to the book.  Is this something new or are books getting the same treatment to movies with their soundtracks?  The idea came up when I was outlining my book last night.

What ive been doing with mine, is naming the chapters after a song.  that song describes the feel of the chapter.  nifty huh?
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »
What ive been doing with mine, is naming the chapters after a song.  that song describes the feel of the chapter.  nifty huh?

Ohh...so you watch Grey's Anatomy?  Tehe.  All the episodes are named after song titles, which basically does the same sort of thing with giving a mood, although you have to look up the episode names.

Another idea is like the woman who writes the Weather Warden series, can't remember her name or see the books, she puts a playlist at the end of the book.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »
Occasionally a soundtrack is built right into the text, as with Pratchett and Gaiman's Good Omens, which references a number of Queen songs.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »
I'd like that concept.  i'll have to go looking for one to see how it feels.  Carrie Vaughn simply lists songs that she listened to while she was writing, which is neat too. 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 07:01:01 PM »
Ohh...so you watch Grey's Anatomy?  Tehe.  All the episodes are named after song titles, which basically does the same sort of thing with giving a mood, although you have to look up the episode names.

Another idea is like the woman who writes the Weather Warden series, can't remember her name or see the books, she puts a playlist at the end of the book.

Don't watch grey's anatomy, but yeah, like that :)

That could work too!
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

comprex

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 07:24:33 PM »

Stephen Brust's The Sun The Moon The Stars does that with paintings.   

A long time ago I had a professor (probability and statistics) who used to do that with tests.      I remember doing really well on The Love for Three Oranges.

Offline JaydelSC

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »
I've seen more than a few of the authors I enjoy reading put a playlist of the music they listened to while writing the book in question. In some cases it's at the end of the book (doesn't Ms. Meade do this in the Weather Warden books?)

I really like this trend because everything creative I do starts in music: either something write and play on my guitar (much less formal that it sounds--more like musical musings) to the music I'm listening to when I have an idea. Without music I would likely stagnate, so it's really interesting to find out what other people are listening to...I've found a song or artist that I like by following these things.

jd

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »
(doesn't Ms. Meade do this in the Weather Warden books?)

Richelle Mead writes the Succubus books; Rachel Caine writes the Weather Warden series.  And yes, she does put a playlist at the end of each Weather Warden book.

Offline JaydelSC

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »
Ouch, that's embarrassing :P  I read those as well though--liked them. I read fairly voraciously...probably 3-5 books a week. I'm always mixing authors up.