Author Topic: how will SotC/Fate 3.0 deal with downsides from the books?  (Read 2550 times)

Offline vampmike

• Participant
    • View Profile
let me explain: harry on a few occasions says that he has alot of power but lacks the subtly to do 'fiddly' magic like veils. he is extremely powerful but morgan is naturally better at on the fly magic than he is. fae have an aversion to iron. etc, there are alot more but i think these will be enough.

my point is that SotC/Fate, doesnt have a system like many of the current roleplaying systems where players can take downsides, and thus gain an advantage elsewhere on their character sheet.

i mean its isnt hard to bolt a downside system to SotC but i was wondering if there was one top be added how would it be handled? for each downside a free stunt etc is gained that doesnt remove from the fate pool? will downsides be bolted onto certain stunts?

of course i have only just read the system, havent played or run it yet [although im gonna be using it for a starwars game], and maybe im overlooking something which is in the system which will be able to show why harry is seen as one of the more powerful practicioners but hes usless at most non destructive magic? i know later in the books he begins to expand his kknowledge, but he still says many times into the later books that molly is easily better than he is at certain spells. and after reading SotC i cant see that they would make each spell a stunt as that would really change the feel of the dresden books, i expect the system will be more like the magic system from spirit of the season.

i would love to hear peoples views on how this could be handled etc

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: how will SotC/Fate 3.0 deal with downsides from the books?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:18:59 PM »
Spellcasters will be able to declare certain areas of spellcraft as being a "blind spot" for them; also, there will be varying levels of skill that can be applied.  Harry's very good at summoning up power (lots of it) -- that's one skill -- but not so good at controlling it -- that's another.

That said, Fate entirely supports folks taking downsides in the form of aspects (ones that get compelled a lot).
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline vampmike

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »
thank you iago, comming from you not much else needs to be said on the subject hehe.

in regards to the blind spot obviously they have some sort of adverse effect on the characters ability to cast magic, but what will the 'up side' be of taking such a blindspot?
hopefully the answer wont give way too much of the upcomming system so it can be answered hehe [of course give away as much as you want, i wont tell a soul hehe]

oh and BTW love SotC!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:38:29 PM »
thank you iago, comming from you not much else needs to be said on the subject hehe.

in regards to the blind spot obviously they have some sort of adverse effect on the characters ability to cast magic, but what will the 'up side' be of taking such a blindspot?
hopefully the answer wont give way too much of the upcomming system so it can be answered hehe [of course give away as much as you want, i wont tell a soul hehe]

Essentially with a blind spot you can't ever get better with that kind of magic (you can cast it, you just aren't particularly good with it), but you get an extra free specialization in another form. So Harry might have a blind spot for veils, but a double specialization in fire, right out the gate.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »
Essentially with a blind spot you can't ever get better with that kind of magic (you can cast it, you just aren't particularly good with it), but you get an extra free specialization in another form. So Harry might have a blind spot for veils, but a double specialization in fire, right out the gate.

Harry compensates for his lack of fine control with foci, like the blasting rod for precise applications of fire.  How does that work in the game?  If Harry has a blind spot in control, does the staff partly or fully cancel the blind spot?  If so, what's the downside to the rod (besides that fact that it can be lost or stolen, of course)?

Dang, I cannot WAIT for this game to come out!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Knave

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »
I'm guessing here, but I assume that Harry has his rod and staff as an aspect - something like "My rod and my staff, they comfort me/kick your sorry behind."

That way he can use them to focus (improve his results) and others can compel them by taking them away.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »
I'm guessing here, but I assume that Harry has his rod and staff as an aspect - something like "My rod and my staff, they comfort me/kick your sorry behind."

That way he can use them to focus (improve his results) and others can compel them by taking them away.

That's pretty much what I figure. I'm not sure if DFRPG has anything more to it than that, but you could totally work it that way.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Items get a little more statted than just an aspect, but you can often make a good item into a *great* item by *also* taking it as an aspect.
Fred Hicks