Author Topic: Questions about the Dresden Files RPG  (Read 19832 times)

Offline Taxalian

• Participant
  • I is disgustipated.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about the Dresden Files RPG
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 04:39:44 AM »
About how many pages will it be?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:50:54 AM by Taxalian »
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -Somerset

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 05:43:42 AM »
About how many pages will it be?
We have too much awesome for one book, it's looking like we may have to split it into two. Our current page count estimate is around 600 total (which would be divided into two books).
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 03:09:11 PM »
So Fred, is it looking like a rules/setting split or more of a character/world split a'la Hero 6th?
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 03:13:29 PM »
So Fred, is it looking like a rules/setting split or more of a character/world split a'la Hero 6th?

Rules/Setting *sort of*. You should be able to run the game out of book #1, but you'll be missing a lot of crucial examples and supporting material without #2.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply and keep up the great work!

No matter what when this puppy hits, no matter what form or size, you've got two sales right here!
(One for me and one for my friend who gave me his copy of Strom Front and said "Check this out!")
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
We have too much awesome for one book, it's looking like we may have to split it into two. Our current page count estimate is around 600 total (which would be divided into two books).

Six hundred pages?  I was looking forward to this game.  Now I'm a little scared... ;)

I know there are sensible reasons for breaking it into two books.  Still, it would be fun to have a single-volume edition for the shock value.  "OK folks, we'll get started on character creation as soon as you commit this (THUMP!) to memory."
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 02:51:04 PM »
Six hundred pages?  I was looking forward to this game.  Now I'm a little scared... ;)

I know there are sensible reasons for breaking it into two books.  Still, it would be fun to have a single-volume edition for the shock value.  "OK folks, we'll get started on character creation as soon as you commit this (THUMP!) to memory."

Well, reducing that shock value is actually a good thing in terms of getting people on board. :)

All the core rules are gonna be in the first book, but the 150-page chapter on (nearly) every character in the first 10 books, all the monster writeups, the discussion of political factions, and Kenneth Hite's chapter on real-world Occult Chicago will land in the second.  If we're lucky enough to get a little vignette story from Jim, that'll be in book 2 as well, I suspect. So there's plenty of incentive to get both I'd say, while still saying, "Hey, don't worry, the core *game* itself is over in this first one."
Fred Hicks

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 03:02:10 PM »
I'm guessing both books will be released simultaneously, correct?

I much preferred 4e D&D's method of releasing it all at once than 3e's staggered approach.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
I'm guessing both books will be released simultaneously, correct?

Oh, gods, yes. In fact I'm thinking of making sure the index in the back of each covers both books. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »
Excellent!

Now, for an even more important question - have decided on covers for both books?  ;D

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »
Excellent!

Now, for an even more important question - have decided on covers for both books?  ;D

I'm getting the second cover done up now. It might feature a giant purple monkey.

First cover's been done for... well, for a while.
Fred Hicks

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
Well, reducing that shock value is actually a good thing in terms of getting people on board. :)

All the core rules are gonna be in the first book, but the 150-page chapter on (nearly) every character in the first 10 books, all the monster writeups, the discussion of political factions, and Kenneth Hite's chapter on real-world Occult Chicago will land in the second.  If we're lucky enough to get a little vignette story from Jim, that'll be in book 2 as well, I suspect. So there's plenty of incentive to get both I'd say, while still saying, "Hey, don't worry, the core *game* itself is over in this first one."
:o Wow, I'm really glad that the characters and the setting are getting this kind of detailed treatment. Licensed products that just throw the stats of the main characters at the back of the book with just a few pages bug me.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 02:31:39 AM »
This sound like very good news for the people who have no interest in paying for Dresden setting material and character writ-ups when they plan to either have a game set in a different part of or time period the Dresden world, in which case much of the setting write-up material would be superflous, or don't plan to play in the Dresden setting at all (just look at how variously the SotC rules were used) and mostly just want Fate 3.0 with some tweaks and rules for fantasy stuff.

I know I'm buy the rulebook the first chance I get, but I'm not sure what I'll run it for, probably either modern day Dresdenverse Seoul or heavily Nehwon-inspired Sword and Sorcery. Hell, I'd happily pay for the rulebook for the magic rules alone but I don't think I'd ever use a single character write-up for anything except giving players examples of good aspects.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 02:48:57 AM »
This sound like very good news for the people who have no interest in paying for Dresden setting material and character writ-ups when they plan to either have a game set in a different part of or time period the Dresden world, in which case much of the setting write-up material would be superflous, or don't plan to play in the Dresden setting at all (just look at how variously the SotC rules were used) and mostly just want Fate 3.0 with some tweaks and rules for fantasy stuff.

I know I'm buy the rulebook the first chance I get, but I'm not sure what I'll run it for, probably either modern day Dresdenverse Seoul or heavily Nehwon-inspired Sword and Sorcery. Hell, I'd happily pay for the rulebook for the magic rules alone but I don't think I'd ever use a single character write-up for anything except giving players examples of good aspects.

I do plan to pick up both books, but I know for sure that I'm going to use the thing for more than just Dresden gaming. If the rules can handle the various NPCs we've seen, they should be able to handle low powered supers pretty well. I also totally want to run a fantasy game with them as well.

And of course, I can finally get around to playing a Buffy-verse game.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 02:57:18 AM »
I do plan to pick up both books, but I know for sure that I'm going to use the thing for more than just Dresden gaming. If the rules can handle the various NPCs we've seen, they should be able to handle low powered supers pretty well. I also totally want to run a fantasy game with them as well.

And of course, I can finally get around to playing a Buffy-verse game.

I would agree with your conclusions. :)
Fred Hicks