Author Topic: Good books on writing  (Read 10371 times)

Offline Todd Edwards

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Todd C Edwards - Novelist
Good books on writing
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:20:19 PM »
I've read a bunch of them, some useful, some not, and some that were amazingly useful. Do you have a book or three that helped you out?

The ones I recommend are:
  • How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy - Orson Scott Card: great overview
  • Characters and Viewpoint - Orson Scott Card: no one writes characters like him. It is part of "The Elements of Fiction Writing" series. The rest are good too and focus on different aspects of the craft. I believe Jim learned from William Noble, who wrote Conflict, Action, and Suspense in the series.
  • Writing the Novel - Lawrence Block: a good overview of all the aspects of novel writing
  • The First Five Pages - Noah Lukeman: indispensable guide to editing. Tells you, in order of importance, what things make editors and agents reject a book.
  • The Elements of Style - William Strunk and EB White: no list would be complete without it. Grammar rules, tight writing style, common mistakes to avoid, and witty as well. What's not to like?

--Todd
toddcedwards.com My writing website

Offline Jon Crenshaw

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Good books on writing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:49:35 PM »
Elements should be on every writer's shelf. ;)

As much as I'm *not* a bit King fan, his "On Writing" is an excellent resource for writers. (Once you get past the biographical stuff.)

-Jon

Offline Shiloh

• Participant
  • Numb me, drill me, floss me, bill me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 02:46:25 AM »
Writers Digest publishes a lot of helpful books, whether on the "how-to's" of character, plot, and the like (I believe the Orson Scott Card book is one such example), and they also publish a lot of technical guides, historical references, and things like that.
It matters not how strait the gate,
Or what punishments bar the scroll.
I am the captain of my fate;
I am the master of my soul.

Offline pathele

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 01:30:46 PM »
Sometimes the Magic Works : Lessons from a Writing Life  by Terry Brooks. 
It was pretty good. 

On Writing by Steven King was wonderful

Offline Selkie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:05:15 AM »
Steering the Craft by Ursula K. LeGuin.  A definate must-read, because it takes a somewhat different direction from the usual "How to" for writers. She also includes some really interesting writing exercises.  Even if you don't write, it teaches you things about writing that adds depth to the books you read.  And I met Ms. LeGuin, and she was really cool. ( ;

Offline terroja

• Participant
  • Psycho Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 04:11:17 AM »
Jeb's Big Book A-writin' Real Good-Like By Jeb.

No.

Um . . .

On Writing by Stephen King was the only one I could ever plod through. I'm the kind of person that is incapable of taking other people's advice on anything. I always automatically assume that I know better than everyone, no matter how impressive their resume.

A man feared that he might find an assassin;
Another that he might find a victim.
One was more wise than the other.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 03:04:31 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1587154811/sr=8-1/qid=1149260459/ref=sr_1_1/103-0655165-8758205?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I Have This Nifty Idea, editied by Mike Resnick.

Pat Elrod's Writer's Kit & FAQ...FAQ's free, kit is a whopping 3 bucks:
http://www.vampwriter.com/FAQ%20WRITING.htm
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Todd Edwards

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 07:24:11 PM »
Good stuff! I like the essays about writing. I've enjoyed Terry Brooks's, Stephen King's, and right now I'm reading I. Asimov by the man himself. Great, inspirational stuff.

The Pat Elrod site seems to have some good real-world tips. Thanks for the link.

--Todd

Offline FredG

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 06:51:27 PM »
I'll recommend Screenplay, by Syd Field, as one of my favorite resources.  It doesn't help me with plots, characters, or word choice, but it helps with timing and pacing. 

I know that I should have about twice as much middle as end and beginning.
To misquote Checkov, if I want to have a gun go off in act three, I need to write it into the room in act one. I know that I need to sometimes think of the chapters as a series of sequences strung together.

By knowing what's important to the Imginary Film Version of my story, I know what to put (and not put) in my written version.

-FredG

Offline Kimber L Rose

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 07:37:27 AM »
Stephen King's 'On Writing' was pretty good.  I also have 'The First Five Pages' by Noah Lukeman which was a pretty good book.  The one I would recommend would be 'Writing the Breakout Novel' by Donald Maass, that one actually had a lot of good information in it.

Offline Todd Edwards

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 05:29:03 PM »
I was on the waitlist for the Breakout book at the library, but when it came through, I was out of town for a while and missed my window of opportunity. D'oh. Need to try again.

Offline Kimber L Rose

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 01:22:41 AM »
If you've read 'The First Five Pages'. then I wouldn't worry about it too much.  There's a lot of the same information in both books.  I actually like the way that it's formatted in 'Breakout' though, makes more sense to me.  It also covers how to grab and keep attention.  Gosh, I hope some of it sunk in.

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 01:29:25 AM »
as I just mentioned on another thread, I liked holly lisle's thing. it's in pdf format here:
http://www.envisionsoftware.biz/hollylisle/muse2-new.pdf

I agree "on writing" was simply fantastic.
sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

In anger nothing right nor judicious can be done.

Offline Todd Edwards

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 10:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the Holly Lisle link. Good stuff in there.

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 01:40:40 AM »
I'll second...or third...or fourth...or...::gets frustrated, grabs the next number at the counter and waves it around:: Orson Scott Card's books.  Both the "How to write Science Fiction and Fantasy" one and his book on characters.  I tend to find myself going, "Yep, yep, that's right, yep, hey that makes sense, yep, hey I didn't think of that before, yep..." and so on when I read them.

Also...I've found every book you read can teach you something or other.  Takes a bit more brainwork to figure it all out, though, since you have to sit yourself down and go, "Ok, why didn't that work?  Why did I like that?  Why didn't I like that?" but the bright side is that you don't have to wait for someone else to write a book about it first.  :)
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.