Author Topic: Magazines  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
Magazines
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »
Basically I write Science Fiction and a bit of regular Fiction.  Now I don't have anything monumentally novel-sized currently complete but I've been sitting on several completed short stories.

Instead of letting them go to waste I feel that they should be at least given an attempt for publication in a magazine.  Now I've got the SF angle down and have several magazines in that genre I'm already looking in to.  My only failing is that I'm unaware of any just regular fiction magazines out there.  Anybody know of any?
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
Re: Magazines
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:59:55 PM »

The best resource is probably The Writer's Market 2009. It is a bible for writers, in a way. Its about 20$ on Amazon. There are separate ones for poetry etc. It is worth the investment if you are serious about getting published!
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:07:21 AM »
The best resource is probably The Writer's Market 2009. It is a bible for writers, in a way. Its about 20$ on Amazon. There are separate ones for poetry etc. It is worth the investment if you are serious about getting published!

I'd even say that an out-of-date edition (no more than, say, five years old) is still worth picking up if money's that tight. You'll still get enough information to find a mailing address for any magazine or publishing house in which you're interested, and you'll usually be able to zap off a query letter via e-mail.

Alternately, if you've really gotten your ducks in a row and you've set up a business as a writer (business license, tax i.d. number, the works), you could do a lot worse than go to a convention in the genre of your choice.
http://www.scificonventions.com/
... might be a good place to start, but there are other options.

Check with your lawyer and accountant contacts, but being able to lump the "$240 Attending Membership" fee and the hotel room for WorldCon 2009 as a "business expense" would certainly be worth the paperwork.
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 09:15:14 AM »
Another good place to check is Ralan's site.

Lists markets by pay rate and type.
Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:42:11 PM »
Also, if they haven't changed their way of doing things, A copy of The Writer's Market comes with membership in TheWriter'sMarket.com, which I personally find tons easier to use since most places want you to email your queries these days.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline J. D. Ford

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Spec Writing Projects (Science Fiction)
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 10:55:12 PM »
I just picked up the Novel and Short Story Writer's Market for 2009.  Let me take a look and see what jumps out at me.

~J. D.
cacoethes scribendi