Author Topic: Attack of the Stickied threads.  (Read 7785 times)

Aine

Re: Attack of the Stickied threads.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 10:50:14 PM »
I have a claymore that has "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY" on one side and "DO NOT EAT" on the other.

In runic.

Reminds me of a story from basic:

We were doing drills on how to lay down supressive cover fire and the girl in front of me says "cover me while I move" and goes darting off through the course.  The DS starts screaming, "No! No! NO!  Too fast.  Go back and start again only do it SLOWER!"  So, she gets back in front of me, darts off through the course again, only looking over her shoulder saying, "cooooooover....meeeeeeee....while....IIIIIIIIIIIIII...moooo oooooooove."

FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY on your claymore is NOT a bad idea.  :D

Offline rusty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
Nice one Mickey Finn

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
I have a claymore that has "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY" on one side and "DO NOT EAT" on the other.

In runic.
That is full of win
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Aine

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
RPG board is starting to suffer from Sticky Thread Syndrome, as well.   :-\

Offline DesertCoyote

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 06:46:11 AM »
RPG board is starting to suffer from Sticky Thread Syndrome, as well.   :-\

RPG board?  What RPG board?  I thought it was the sticky forum.

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 08:42:51 PM »
RPG board?  What RPG board?  I thought it was the sticky forum.

Jokes aside, I agree - and in fact is why I wandered down here.  :)  The front page currently has 11 stickies and 9 (typically fast-moving) non-stickies.

Maybe a merging of the "NO-SPOILERS"/"ON-TOPIC"/"If you want to discuss spoilers..." threads, and creation of a new "resources" sub-forum for the char sheet/web graphics/fan license stickies (and, for that matter, some of the non-sticky threads)?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 10:49:22 AM »
Or you can take the extremely difficult step of clicking on the link for the next page. *shrug* I understand if that's too much to ask. I mean, it's much harder than typing out a whole post. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Aine

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 03:12:30 PM »
Personally, I think a "Resources" child board is a very good idea.

Of course, I also think that when the Stickies (that often don't get posted in for weeks/months/years or are locked) outnumber the extremely fast moving threads, perhaps it actually is an issue and not just people being lazy. 

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »
I just can't see how it CAN be an issue. I mean, how destructive could it possibly be to an adult's forum experience to have to click one more time? Are we that sold on the "validity"  and "necessity" of instant gratification that ANY delay in getting what we want is bad? And where do we draw the line?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Aine

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
You know where would be a good place to draw the line?  How about when the stickies outnumber the active threads?  :P :)

No, but seriously.  A lot of people, especially new people, will simply look on the first page and move on.  People have notied the Sticky threads taking over enough for them to wander down here and make a suggestion in the "Sight Suggestion and Support Area."  Politely, I might add.  Isn't that what it's here for?

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 08:00:54 PM »
I just can't see how it CAN be an issue. I mean, how destructive could it possibly be to an adult's forum experience to have to click one more time? Are we that sold on the "validity"  and "necessity" of instant gratification that ANY delay in getting what we want is bad? And where do we draw the line?

Because it's annoying and at least arguably unnecessary?  Or heck, even just the fact that right now with a 1280x1024 desktop and my browser full-screen, I have to scroll down to see the first non-sticky?  The fact that, yes, it's easy to click through doesn't mean people want to.  If there's an easy solution, why exactly is it "vanity" to not want to deal with it?

Plus, as the kind lady said, that's exactly what this forum is for.  :-P

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »
Problem with a 'resources sub-forum' is that it removes announcements intended to govern the parent-forum. However, there is a benefit to consolidating the stickies beyond cosmetics and accessibility. Simply, it cuts down on the number of threads, which should be a benefit considering the recent concern of topic pruning, etc.

A global "Read before posting" sticky would accommodate all the the administrative posts and even locked should still be editable by global admins. Followed by a "FAQ" sticky, pertaining to the base topic of the forum, which is fairly standard. Then a specialized sticky or 2 such as the "Short Stories" sticky (Personally I find this helpful as I tend to lose track of the Short Stories order and upcoming, etc.) would be a non-issue.

"I still can't believe that you came to the Vampires' Masquerade Ball dressed as a vampire."
"Not just a vampire, a cheesy vampire. Do you think they got the point?"

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »
Because it's annoying and at least arguably unnecessary?  Or heck, even just the fact that right now with a 1280x1024 desktop and my browser full-screen, I have to scroll down to see the first non-sticky?  The fact that, yes, it's easy to click through doesn't mean people want to.  If there's an easy solution, why exactly is it "vanity" to not want to deal with it?

This has been raised as an issue for a number of years, yet your suggestion hasn't been implemented; given how responsive Fred's been to suggestions in the past, this seems indicative. Might want to consider the possibility that it ISN'T an easy solution, or that taking that route eliminates positive aspects that you may not be considering.

Plus, as the kind lady said, that's exactly what this forum is for.  :-P

Right. It's about an exchange of ideas, a discussion, which means that I feel free to disagree on this. *shrug* It's no great hardship, not to mention that a number of the stickied threads DO tend to get posted to often enough, in my opinion, to warrant a separate, visible title. Just because one person doesn't feel any desire to check up on stickied posts doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to without far more clicking-through than the current system requires.

meh

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »
Doesn't everyone just use the unread/new replies links on the upper left?   ???

;)

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
This has been raised as an issue for a number of years, yet your suggestion hasn't been implemented; given how responsive Fred's been to suggestions in the past, this seems indicative. Might want to consider the possibility that it ISN'T an easy solution, or that taking that route eliminates positive aspects that you may not be considering.

It's actually rather simple, unless the admin panel of these boards is vastly different from every other one I've experienced and doesn't really eliminate anything positive if stickies are merely combined rather than deleted outright. However it probably still will not resolve the issue of people complaining since there are still going to be a number of beneficial stickies. Which is probably the issue, it may take a little time to decide which stickies to combine or whatever and even less time/effort to implement, but there's probably more important things to worry about considering even after the time and effort people will still be complaining.
"I still can't believe that you came to the Vampires' Masquerade Ball dressed as a vampire."
"Not just a vampire, a cheesy vampire. Do you think they got the point?"