3 (5.1%)
< 90,000
3 (5.1%)
< 100,000
1 (1.7%)
100,001 or more
6 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Wordcount!  (Read 19586 times)

Offline BobSkull

• Participant
  • Justice or Vengeance?
    • View Profile
Re: Wordcount!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 05:24:21 PM »
Currently, the novel that I'm working on the most is at 23,405 after three days. I'm hoping that the storyline will be engaging enough for me to go for at least ten times that.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 05:06:27 AM »
Currently, the novel that I'm working on the most is at 23,405 after three days. I'm hoping that the storyline will be engaging enough for me to go for at least ten times that.

What are you writing that with ?

That wordcount in that many days is a) impressive and b) would make me worry slightly about possible RSI-like issues.

I've typed 10,500 words in a day, and it was a bad plan even though I spent a couple of hours not writing in the middle.  [ Seeing possibly the worst piece of theatre I ever saw in my life, which could well be part of why so creative. ]
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline BobSkull

• Participant
  • Justice or Vengeance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 04:56:42 PM »
What are you writing that with ?

That wordcount in that many days is a) impressive and b) would make me worry slightly about possible RSI-like issues.

I've typed 10,500 words in a day, and it was a bad plan even though I spent a couple of hours not writing in the middle.  [ Seeing possibly the worst piece of theatre I ever saw in my life, which could well be part of why so creative. ]

If you mean What am I writing it with as in writing materials, it is my desktop.

Lol. I know what you mean, I thought the same thing so I (after a great deal of deliberation) gave a copy of those pages to my dad(great writer, grammercrazy writing genius) and he gave me the thumbs up. And the I re-read it. It all sounded good, so I'm not worried. (Not really sure what RSI-like issues means though???)

I just sometimes get into a groove(I know that sounds stupid), and can write a lot in a day, and these past few days have just been great for my book.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 09:49:06 PM »
If you mean What am I writing it with as in writing materials, it is my desktop.

That was what I meant, yes.

(Not really sure what RSI-like issues means though???)

Repetitive Strain Injury: not messing up your wrists.  Which may be more of an issue for me because I've spent thirteen years this year in day-jobs where I was sitting in front of computers typing much of or all day and trying to work that in ways that don't leave me unable to write in my spare time.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline etoiline

• Participant
  • thinking really hard
    • View Profile
    • aspire to the stars
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 08:12:49 PM »
My current story is about 61k. That includes stuff written during last year's NaNo...yes, it is a NaNo story, but I think it's pretty good, however deluded that may be. I've got sort of an amorphous goal of getting the whole thing finished this year.

I've only got one section to write, but it'll be huge. I'll probably add on another 10k without realizing it, once I finally sit my butt down and get it on paper.

~Cal
~~
aspire to the stars: http://etoiline.com

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 10:57:57 PM »
Currently my babe is in the middle of chapter 7, first draft (with things to add), and is on 54, 390 words (...this is going to be a looooooong book at this rate...)

Offline prime_spirit

• Conversationalist
  • You only got one day that's your last...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 02:01:07 AM »
I'm going to be very honest and say <100 :(

I'm still working on background stories, history, societies, etc, and almost all of it from scratch. The thing about making your own world is that I won't have to look up too much background material to make it realistic. The downside is that it takes a really long time to get all these ideas into an accurate timeline. Which there were more hours in a day...

Beta-testing: December 2007

Offline Maiafay

• Participant
  • Nitpicker...and snarky wench
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 04:33:14 PM »
Hmmm longest was over 100,000 words, and my current is 88,900. I could use some trimming in the 88 one, but not until it's finished. 
Fantasy Art that ain't half bad: Deviant Art
Fanfiction that's coherent! My Writing

Offline TigerKat24

• Participant
  • Evily Evil McEvilpants
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 08:26:47 AM »
Currently, Confidence is about 52,000, give or take a couple hundred words. However, it's been at about 52,000 since December 5th. Make the writer's block stop...
~TigerKat~
Minions! Evil demands chocolate chips!
Harry/Murphy: OTP from Page 10

Offline Valkyrina

• Participant
  • "Better safe than exsanguinated!" - Harry Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 09:29:56 AM »
Make the writer's block stop...

I prescribe one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Writers-Block-Ideas-Jump-Start-Imagination/dp/0762409487/sr=8-1/qid=1172482083/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7920969-0594312?ie=UTF8&s=books

A lot of sleep and lots of fruit in your diet.

See if that helps.

Unless you're writing about a unhealthy, insomniac who can't write and you're trying to get into their head.

;)

Seriously though, this book is awesome.

I read a few pages, went to sleep and a few days later my imagination *pinged* microwave style and came back with a "look what I found" kinda story.

Every author on this site needs at least one of these by their beds.

... Except Jim, 2 reasons: 1) he's already got an awesome character and we love Harry to bits. 2) the book gives you lots of little mental tributaries to go down, little stories that if you're used to writing one character's life story, may make you shelf that character for a while (been a while since my Valkyrie had much to say) and we'd HATE for Harry to get shelved.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 09:36:59 AM by Valkyrina »
vini, vidi, evicerate - Me 2005

Offline TigerKat24

• Participant
  • Evily Evil McEvilpants
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 06:09:24 PM »
Would you like a pony? I can get you a pony. It'll have to be either evil or stupid, but I can get you a pony. Or maybe a bunny? I can get you a bunny too...
In other words, thank you very much for the recommendation. Excuse me while I hie my newly-moneyed butt over to the bookstore.
Randomly, I've also found The 3 AM Epiphany and No Plot? No Problem! helpful with previous bouts of blockage. Unfortunately I don't own a copy of either one so I'm kind of out of luck this time around.
~TigerKat~
Minions! Evil demands chocolate chips!
Harry/Murphy: OTP from Page 10

Offline Valkyrina

• Participant
  • "Better safe than exsanguinated!" - Harry Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 05:23:01 PM »
Can't say I was ever a pony kind of girl I'm afraid, not even a unicorn kind of girl.

If you had a dragon around however...

;D

Anyway, might have to add those 2 books to my amazon shopping list...

Been meaning to put more energy into my writing recently.

*pokes imagination with a stick to see if it's dead*
vini, vidi, evicerate - Me 2005

Offline Drew

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • www.DrewHenriksen.com
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 11:18:31 PM »
The whole thing came out to be 213,980.  The publisher cut it into a trilogy.  So each one is about 70,000.

Offline [beatle mania]

• Conversationalist
  • Wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 05:03:47 AM »
'round 2,000. I had to cut it really short, as it's a class project, but I love the damned thing so much (as do most of the people who read it) that I want to expand the details and double or triple the size.

I have to start somewhere, and I hope I can do something with this peice that will help me expand as a writer.
shaking and crying

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 08:31:25 PM »

52,486 to be exact. About halfway in rough draft form: my 'rough-draft' means that for the most part, I've left dialouge out or used simplistic placeholders.

One novel, no sequels.
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale