3 (5.1%)
< 90,000
3 (5.1%)
< 100,000
1 (1.7%)
100,001 or more
6 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Wordcount!  (Read 19624 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Wordcount!
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2007, 04:35:23 AM »
I just finished an online writing course.  When it comes to the dialog that you said slows you down.  One of the pros in this class apparently set her computer to center and plugged it out quickly.  None of that other stuff was written down in the rough, rough draft--such as what did who say and how they said it and all that stuff that slows you down.

I have a memory problem when my head is going 100 times faster than my fingers can go.  The trick really worked wonders for me and kept me moving at a faster rate of speed.  Once down, then you can always go back and get it into normal novel format.  So it looks sort of like this:

Okay forget the example, blasted centering tool isn't working.  But you can get my drift.  Name in center, next line the action centered, then the dialog.... Sort of like script writing I guess.  Really fast, really easy & keeps you moving forward. 

None of the others in the class thought it helpful, but my Pooh size brain really did!  Did some nice work today on my piece, both in planning in my head and getting a lot of it into word doc.

Best wishes as you go forward!  Meg
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Kelli

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2007, 03:59:39 AM »
My current project is at 25k words, and I'd say it's around 2/3-3/4 finished. It was intended as a short story originally... oops.... guess I'm writing a novella instead.

Offline Kathleen Dante

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Kathleen Dante | Erotic Romance Author
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2007, 11:59:08 PM »
My current WIP is at 33k. Just about one-third of the way through.

::update::

Just crawled past 55k.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:56:37 PM by Kathleen Dante »
DREAMWALKER - Available now from Berkley Heat
ENDANGERED - Available now from Berkley Heat
http://www.kathleendante.com

Offline TragicKingdom

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2007, 09:44:34 PM »
My finished book is about 58000 words. In the editing process, this should plummet significantly. I love to trim the fat off of my books. Literary-lyposuction (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). It keeps it healty.  :D

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2007, 05:32:58 PM »
ca. 350k, and that's after cutting and tightening. But in my defense: it's a fantasy trilogy. Hope to finish the current draft (the 5th or so) by the end of the year and start looking for an agent.
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline SunPhoenix

• Conversationalist
  • Unlike some people Stupidity doesn't discriminate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2007, 11:29:07 PM »
No Idea what my wordcount is but I got 4 1/2 pages on one book and 3 pages on another on spiral bound notebook paper.

::Update:: at 8 1/2 pages on the first book
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 11:32:09 PM by SunPhoenix »

Offline Troubled darkness

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2007, 01:34:02 PM »
hmmmm for some reason I joined this site a while back and haven't posted  ???

My wordcounts:

;D I have one thats at 60k and suspended for the moment because I changed what the character's abilities were slightly. My main WIP is on 37k

I haven't done any proper writing in such a long time  :'(

Offline SunPhoenix

• Conversationalist
  • Unlike some people Stupidity doesn't discriminate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2007, 08:29:31 AM »
Ok I started actually typing it out and my wordcount is at 1,644 with about 1 1/2 chapters.

::Edit:: Chapters 1&2 are equal to 2634 :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 04:40:54 AM by SunPhoenix »

Offline redneckwitch18

• Conversationalist
  • Och Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2007, 11:07:18 PM »
I'm guesstimating my word count seeing as it's on a legal pad  :)

Around 15,000 for me maybe, but the yellow paper seems to keep me from drifting b/c it instantly brings my attention.

Right now though, the stupid legal is sitting on my desk haunting and calling me daily. I've been so stressed with school that I haven't had a spare moment to sit down and write out anything b/c i seem to get interrupted everytime I sit down. I think I'll booby trap my door a couple of times.
(that'll teach them to come barging in-mwahahaha)
Brilliance is fleeting, but stupid lasts a while.

http://mepreport.com/quiz/ttp.htm  
I'm a tartan podcast. lol

Read new posts when I remember!
http://novelist10.wordpress.com/

Offline Craz

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Superheroes and Sorcerors
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2007, 04:52:55 AM »
My first baby had around 6k words. The second one, in the twenty or so hours I've worked on it, has yielded much better results. 2,040 words currently.
J.A.H., author.

Check out Superheroes and Sorcerors, my blog and archive at http://justenhunter.com !

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2007, 01:14:28 PM »
The answer is,
It depends.

First I am basically a co author, that is without my wife my stuff is tedious at best, and my wife plots like an explosion in a string factory. So between the two of us we make one author.

The depends thing come in at, Which project?
We have about 20 projects ongoing at the moment, most in the 5000 to 15000 word range. That is the preferred size of our market, and we write to standard, hopefully improving our sell percentage.
Regards,
Kevin

So, the age old writer's edition of the my-you-know-what-is-bigger-than-yours question--what's the wordcount of your current baby?

Poll time!

For the record...my current story is hovering around 43,000 words.  I say hovering, because I've done some chopping block stuff to it recently, so it's been bobbing up and down.
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?