Author Topic: Query Before Completed MS?  (Read 2826 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Query Before Completed MS?
« on: November 05, 2007, 02:08:41 PM »
I was wondering...

Do some writers query before they finish their manuscript, or even before they begin writing their manuscript?  I think I read that on another board somewhere. 

Just wondering, because I'd be freakin terrified to send anything out before I at least had a first draft.  And I probably won't end up querying until I have a final MS (final as far as I'm concerned, anyway).

BLG
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Query Before Completed MS?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »
From what I hear, your instincts are correct.  Wait until you have the MS complete AND make sure your first 90 pages are as perfect as possible.  Sounds like its query-->then they hopefully will ask for 90 pages if interested -- followed by manuscript.  Further suggestion was send out to five agents, if you get negs then redo your query and try another five etc. Good luck!

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 05:46:53 PM »
Do some writers query before they finish their manuscript, or even before they begin writing their manuscript?  I think I read that on another board somewhere.

You can do it if you're an established writer whom publishers have some solid evidence are capable of finishing and turning in a publishable novel; there's no point in trying otherwise.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »
Okay, that clears it up.  I guess I wouldn't be too worried if I was an agent and Stephen King sent me a query before he had a manuscript.

That brings up something else...

Do writers as established as King even have to query?  Or is it pretty much a given that whatever they write will be bought?

It's sort of wierd to think that Stephen King or someone as successful would have to pitch and sell their idea every time.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
Do writers as established as King even have to query?  Or is it pretty much a given that whatever they write will be bought?
It's sort of wierd to think that Stephen King or someone as successful would have to pitch and sell their idea every time.

I don't honestly know; but if you read On Writing, it's clear that King wrote a lot of stuff when having serious drink/drugs problems that he now seems to regard as not very good, and there's no mention of him having any problem selling it.  And there's no lack of examples of writers getting to a point where they appear to make enough that they can refuse to be edited and indulge themselves at the expense of whatever qualities made their books good to begin with - Anne Rice springs to mind.

I don't know that the world has room for more than a handful of such writers, though.  It's certainly not the case for the average mid-list SF/F writer with half a dozen or so novels out and a couple of reasonably-major-but-not-Hugo awards, of whom I know a fair few.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline pj

• Lurker
  • If I'm not back by breakfast...call the president.
    • View Profile
    • Fromthebones
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:04:25 AM »
I came here because I've just got into the Dresden books, after the show, and having them on my reading list for too long a time.  And here I find all this great 'writing' talk too.

I'm about to embark on the great agent search myself.  And I think the advice given above is sound.  I've been polishing the completed manuscripts I have so that those first 50 pages shine.  Hopefully the rest of the pages shine also, but it's worth taking extra care with the first 50.

And I also heard the five agents at a time is the best method.  I came across a site that has a good agent listing, so I've been scouring that for the last week or so doing my research.

Crossing my fingers for some good responses.

PJ

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 03:03:25 PM »
Good luck PJ, and welcome to our little club!

It's a good time here, and along with all the Dresden and Butcher talk, you can find some awesome writing info.

I'm still a long way off myself from starting the agent search.  I haven't even tested that water.  I'm just trying to drag my ass through my first novel so I can get it polished, plus I'm doing Nano...so yeah, it's going to be a little bit.  But, all I have to do is keep pounding the keys, right?

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:34:24 AM »
People already said what I was thinking, so I'll reinforce it...don't bother submitting a query without a finished manuscript until you're a well established author with a career that lets publishers know you're for real.  Anyone can write a few-paragraphs query.  Few can finish a good manuscript.  And yes, just by reading the works of some massively popular authors (Anne Rice, Laurell K. Hamilton) you can become popular enough that whatever you write will be bought and published, even if the quality isn't as good as their previous stuff.  But it's about as common as becoming massively popular is...ie, only a small percent get to that point.
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.