Author Topic: A theoretical question regarding advancement  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Dan from Chicago

• Participant
    • View Profile
A theoretical question regarding advancement
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:23:36 PM »
So, there will be character advancement in the Dresden RPG and Player characters must have positive refresh according to what's been revealed so far. Changeling characters loose refresh when they take additional powers, and get closer to becoming full out fae. Wizards can become more powerful over time, which might include buying additional powers, and losing refresh.

So does character advancement include increasing a character's refresh at certain points? If so, could a changeling become fae, or at least buy more fae powers over time without becoming an NPC. If not, does that imply that certain levels of Wizarding power are locked away for NPCs only(i.e. Merlin is always an NPC, so no PC will ever stop the entire Red Court attack with a single ward)?

It would make sense to me that advancement would increase refresh ... lycanthropes could have better control of their rage(more refresh means it's cheaper to spend fate points avoiding compels), Werewolves could buy a more powerful wolf form(the previews from Turn Coat suggest Billy's gotten more powerful then he used to be). Wizards could buy additional powers, or have more fate points to power up the powers they already have.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: A theoretical question regarding advancement
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »
Character development is currently slated to have multiple ways it happens.  It'll include:

- Doing "shuffles" of your points & powers & skills in reaction to story developments
- Increasing your depth of competence (skills)
- Increasing your potency (refresh)
- Increasing the game's weight class (skill cap)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »
If not, does that imply that certain levels of Wizarding power are locked away for NPCs only(i.e. Merlin is always an NPC, so no PC will ever stop the entire Red Court attack with a single ward)?

Even if it's not the default mode, presumably the rules would at least suggest ways to support that level of play.

I say this because Harry is noted as being one of a handful of the most powerful wizards on the planet, even if he lacks the years of experience to build all of his skills. If the rules can support characters like Harry, and if they offer a guide for progression, they should be able to support more powerful characters.

From experience, characters with a skill cap of Fantastic get so powerful it's silly. I imagine that some of the most powerful NPCs around fall into that general area. Assuming PCs can eventually get up there, they should be able to throw down pretty well.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
Even if it's not the default mode, presumably the rules would at least suggest ways to support that level of play.

I say this because Harry is noted as being one of a handful of the most powerful wizards on the planet, even if he lacks the years of experience to build all of his skills. If the rules can support characters like Harry, and if they offer a guide for progression, they should be able to support more powerful characters.

From experience, characters with a skill cap of Fantastic get so powerful it's silly. I imagine that some of the most powerful NPCs around fall into that general area. Assuming PCs can eventually get up there, they should be able to throw down pretty well.

Yep. That's part of why I refer to it as a weight class. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/