Author Topic: Anyone have good tips on writing a Conspiracy Thriller?  (Read 4303 times)

Offline kingaling

• Conversationalist
  • THE VOICES ARENT REAL, but have some good ideas
    • View Profile
Anyone have good tips on writing a Conspiracy Thriller?
« on: March 13, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »
I'm putting together a supernatural storyline that is based on an Assassin who's also a Sorcerer. Does anyone have any tips on what a Conspiracy Thriller should contain. I'm hoping to make this similar The Jason Bourne Series and could use some tips from people who've been there, or are struggling through something the same. Any tips would be of great help. Thanks.
Son of Blampira and father to the vampire in her sig.

"It's good to be King." - Mel Brooks

"I have an idea! An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have good tips on writing a Conspiracy Thriller?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:18:02 PM »
speaking strictly as an audience member, to me the mark of a good conspiracy thriller is the ability to figure it out before the main character.   However this has to be balanced otherwise it makes your novel lame.   For example:  Fight Club
(click to show/hide)
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:56:57 AM »
Does anyone have any tips on what a Conspiracy Thriller should contain.

uhmm  a good conspiracy?  sorry I'm in a snarky mood tonight.  Seriously, I've been a Deighton, Fleming, Ludlum, McInness, Follett, Brown, Clancy etc fan all my life.  In this genre--you either got the smarts or you don't. 

Oh and an incredible sense of place and the ability to share it in exciting dialog and description. 
An overwhelming ability to build and hold tension by the brilliance of your intellect. 
The ability to write action scenes that rock and never get boring.
The smarts to always stay one step ahead of your very intelligent readers.
Entertaining your readers while at the same time you thumb your nose in front of their face--and make them smile in the process because you are so brilliant.

That all leads back to the same thing...  brilliance in writing and a smart, snarky mind.  There is no way to fake it.  There is no way to stick things together with duck tape and think it will sail. 

Now, how do you physically do that?  Go to top and read ALL those books.  If you've done that and are still wondering what makes this kind of book work?  ..... better pick another genre.  This even has a cliff notes version... movies.  Again, if you can't chart it out in a movie.... better pick another genre. 

Good luck with all that!  :-) 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline kingaling

• Conversationalist
  • THE VOICES ARENT REAL, but have some good ideas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »
uh..well. Yeah! Of course I need to know those things...but that's why I asked for tips. Like a guide to writing it. There are plenty of guides to writing standard mystery stories, but Conspiracy Thriller's have a lot more to them. That's why I was hoping for some details, not just vague "you need to know how to do this and that.." response.
Son of Blampira and father to the vampire in her sig.

"It's good to be King." - Mel Brooks

"I have an idea! An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »
Don't Twist just to have a twist.  Any twists, doublecrosses, etc, have to have some valid reason other than "Oh, shit!  I need to have a clever twist!"  Good guys gone bad, bad guys gone good, all have to have a compelling reason(s) which have been subtley worked into the story.  For a character to believably change their stripes, it's got to be through development that is at least quietly mentioned, rather than a sudden "oh, snoggfarblers ate his first daughter 40 years ago.  Didn't anybody but me know that until now?"

At all costs avoid "Hey, Anakin?  Ya wanna be evil?" "ummnn..no."  "C'mon, let's be evil. C'monnnnn." "Um...ok."

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:36:25 PM »
Make the Antagonist SMART.  I really can't stand it when the bad guys act like idiots just so that the good guy can win. 
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:41:11 PM »
I think that's one of the hardest parts.  An author just can't create a character who's smarter than they are.  Might manage the illusion from time to time, but not a whole cast.

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 08:58:45 PM »
Yes, you can write a character who is smarter than you are!  You have to cheat a little and get input from people who know more about a field than you do.  (For example, when I write a doctor character, I always discuss what she does with my family GP.) 

Since my background is in technical writing, I know that one can immerse oneself in a subject and be able to come across with a great deal of authority, even if you have not personally had first hand experience.

But mostly I was stating that when you have bad guys who suddenly shoot each other or act out of character in some way, simply ecause you need the plot to move along, that makes for a lame thriller.

How many people have just wanted the bad guy to blow Bond away instead of talking him to death?  Or, why in the world did the Emperor not realize that Vader might have his own agenda? 

Smart bad guys are difficult to write.  Smart likable bad guys are even more difficult to write.  But the rewards in having a smart likable evil dude is immeasurable.  And that would make for superior fiction.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 09:01:34 PM »
Let me clarify that...I don't mean knowledge in a field smart, but cleverness smart, the general brain meat capability type of smart.

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »
Yeah, well the benefit is that the hero and villain will both be constrained by the author's smarts.  So they will be on a level playing field.  ;D

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 11:26:53 PM »
Lol.  There is that, isn't there?  Of course, that's what makes a smart author a better read than a not-so-smart author. 

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 12:07:15 AM »
You hit the nail on the head.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »
Sorry I was so snarky in my first reply.  Blaze has it right.

Start out with your conspiracy base line plot (what is the bad guy's plan) and then shade in how the protaganist is going to weave in and out.  That's probably the best plan. 

The more intricate, well thought out, logical, devious--but only when it really furthers the baddies' plot, the better the hero will be. 

So start with a solid evil plot, with really interesting intelligent bad guys with motivation*--once it's iron clad and logical, then start foiling the attempt.  Does that make sense?  The additional shading would come from how the bad guys adapt to the hero's foils.

I'm currently working on a DaVinci Code for young adult, which I hope to have in someone's hands by April 15th.  It's thrilling and exciting.  That's how I came up with it.  Once your mind is working in a conspiracy fashion then it's a matter of figuring out how the hero pulls it apart to get the end mind-blowing last confrontation.

*don't overlook that the first motivation is never a single motivation but several.  The bad guys will each have their own motivations for being involved.  PLUS the best twist is when we find out a secret motivation of the main bad guy, who has kept the motivation secret from his own left hand person. --Those are the ones where only the psychopathic readers understand the psychopathic motivation (uhm think Hannibal Lecher) OR some classic books of this type--the motivation seems sound, but even the main bad guy doesn't understand his/her own unknown deep seated psychological motivation for doing the deed... 

Or another twist, 3/4s of the way through the bad guys (or one bad guy) realize(s) that their motivations are diverging from each other. So a hero vs bad guy, becomes a complicated mesh of hero vs bad guy vs bad guy--forcing an unlikely hero/bad guy alliance.  Yeah that would be a cool one too!  (hasn't 24 used this one?)  The reverse would be just as likely in real life.  hero and hero helper vs bad guy and the hero helper realizes that his motivation is going to drive him/her over to the bad guy's side, whether the bad guy knows it or not...

heck I could keep going on those for forever and ever.....  oh and don't forget.. MUST HAVE TICKING CLOCK DEADLINE!

Yeah, those would hook me in...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:46:32 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 08:38:25 PM »
Just remember, the best bad guys always think they're the good guys!
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »
Way to go Liz!!  ditto that thought!