Author Topic: Curious.. why no PBBG?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline AnOutsider

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Curious.. why no PBBG?
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:45:38 AM »
Not to be confused with 3D mmorpgs like World of Warcraft and the like, I'm curious why a PBBG wasn't considered? If it was, why didn't it come to fruition?

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Curious.. why no PBBG?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:37:56 PM »
A whaat?? :: Confused::

Offline AnOutsider

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:37:24 PM »
Sorry, I figured people would be familiar with the term. PBBG = Persistent Browser Based Game. There are a lot of MMORPGs that are purely browser-based. Older ones are purely text-based but newer ones mix in a great UI.

Hmm, some examples are neopets, pimpsstreet.com, http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wgame/screenshot.asp etc etc

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:04:54 AM »
Trademark comes to mind as far as fan based games goes. 

Offline AnOutsider

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:51:53 AM »
Naturally, but if I'm not mistaken the RPG is officially sanctioned by Jim, so I was just curious as to whether or not a PBBG was considered

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »
No one has mentioned any kind of computer adaptation.  Jim reportedly has a background in LARP and tabletop RPing, and I assume he specifically wants to see his world made into a traditional RPG.  Which is cool, because I do too!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline AnOutsider

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »
Ah gotcha, was just curious

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 11:00:51 PM »
No one has mentioned any kind of computer adaptation.  Jim reportedly has a background in LARP and tabletop RPing, and I assume he specifically wants to see his world made into a traditional RPG.  Which is cool, because I do too!

I'd chalk this one up to author bias. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, since this route helps keep the ratio of 'intelligent fans' vs. 'OMG I LOVE UR SHOWZ' tilted in favor of the former. Still, I agree that it would make for a fascinating browser-based RPG. I waste altogether too much time on certain Facebook games, and I can easily see the Dresden Files (or even Codex: Alera) working as fascinating online games in that context...
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline AnOutsider

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
I agree. Perhaps one day.