Author Topic: RPG for Dummies?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Vijay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
RPG for Dummies?
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
Never played an RPG but love the Dresden Files and would like it to be my first.  Are there any suggestions for guides or anything to help me get acclimated?  At least I can learn the basics of the FATE system for the eventual release. Thanks

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
Re: RPG for Dummies?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »
What you're probably looking for is Spirit of the Century. Indications are that, while it won't be exactly like The Dresden Files RPG, it will be similar enough to start on. And, from all accounts, it's a pretty good game on its own.  :) But wait, there's more - a stripped down version of the rules is available for free, here.
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline Vijay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
Thanks for the links and advice.  I'll also try to find some books.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:53:02 AM »
Thanks for the links and advice.  I'll also try to find some books.

If you happen to be on a budget, www.rpgnow.com has a "Free" section. Check the "Browse" menu on the left edge of the screen on the main page, and select "Show Only Free Products"

Alternately, there's http://www.1km1kt.net/ ("One Thousand Monkeys, One Thousand Keyboards"), which contains one of the largest supplies of free tabletop RPGs online. Be advised that most of these (and especially the 24-hour RPG project entries) are of highly variable quality, but you'll still learn many things from all of them.

Good luck!
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline Vijay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:13:02 PM »
Those links seem really helpful in getting me started.  I really appreciate the help.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 06:16:20 PM »
You may also wish to consider tracking down a gaming group in your area and asking if you can play for a session or two. Colleges often have game clubs. If you have a local game shop, there might be some in shop play; some game shops run demos designed just so as to introduce new folks to a particular game.

A quick warning: Not all games cater to the same crowds, and not all gaming groups like the same things. You may not be satisfied with your first game or your first group, and that's fine. It could very well just be that you're going into the thing with a set of expectations that don't match the expectations of the gaming group you fall in with. Or you might click and have a wonderful time.

Anyhow, good luck.