Author Topic: Block Breakers  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Angelis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Block Breakers
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »
As writers, most will be very familiar with the evil writer's block.

What is your best way for breaking the block? If you don't have a 'best' way, what do you find has broken your block(s) in the past?

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Block Breakers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »
Don't read this if you get offended easily ;)

(click to show/hide)
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:55:30 PM »
What is your best way for breaking the block? If you don't have a 'best' way, what do you find has broken your block(s) in the past?

Poking around on the internet.

Reading or watching something that's not similar enough to what I'm working on to get in the way, but is close enough that my characters will have reactions and opinions.

Starting something completely different.  (Not hugely recommended; I think everybody accumulates things they astart and do not finish, but it's all too easy to get cuaght up in this and never finish anything.)

And, of course, Conceptual Guilt-Judo 101; find something I can persuade myself I need to be doing more, so that I can convince myself that I am actually goofing off when I go back to write on whatever it was, and therefore it does not have the psychological pressure of being blocked.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »
Find something to write, even just a random character description - you never know, it might come in handy later on, and it'll get your brain working again.
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:45:11 PM »
Suggestion from Bret Anthony Johnston.... 

Take three minutes and write as many words that begin with one letter--selecting, of course, different letters. 

Rather interesting actually, because it forces you to concentrate on words.  This will pull you out of your normal world and into the writing world.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »
Find something to write, even just a random character description - you never know, it might come in handy later on, and it'll get your brain working again.
This one has been working for me a bit lately.  Ive got a pretty robust world setting, but the writing itself is dragging on in the character and plot development side.  So if I get too stuck, I make a character, as if I were using my own setting for a DnD game or some such.  It gets me out of the box of my main plot, while simultaneously bringing me further in to the world itself, and the midset of the place.  And its never a bad thing to have a stack of extras to pull from that have a little flesh on their bones, metaphorically speaking.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:04:54 PM »
This one has been working for me a bit lately.  Ive got a pretty robust world setting, but the writing itself is dragging on in the character and plot development side.  So if I get too stuck, I make a character, as if I were using my own setting for a DnD game or some such.  It gets me out of the box of my main plot, while simultaneously bringing me further in to the world itself, and the midset of the place.  And its never a bad thing to have a stack of extras to pull from that have a little flesh on their bones, metaphorically speaking.

The thing is, pretty much the first thing I do when I start seeing how a story is going to come together, for the main characters, is a casting call of the form "I need someone who will do X in siutation Y and A in situation B so my beginning and my ending work."  I get the person who will actually do that, and the rest of the the character comes clear around that.  I can't really dissociate character from plot that way, because a character who does the wrong thing is useless or actively harmful.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »
The thing is, pretty much the first thing I do when I start seeing how a story is going to come together, for the main characters, is a casting call of the form "I need someone who will do X in siutation Y and A in situation B so my beginning and my ending work."  I get the person who will actually do that, and the rest of the the character comes clear around that.  I can't really dissociate character from plot that way, because a character who does the wrong thing is useless or actively harmful.
Fair enough.  For me its more of, when I come across a situation like that,,, I can then go back to the vault and see if Ive already gotten one that fits my purposes. If not, I can always make new ones, and the one Ive made to break the blocks sometimes go to waste completely, but in the mean time its a useful exercise. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »
Another thing (I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a technique, but I've found it can work for me) is to just plow through the part that I'm stuck on in any way possible, regardless of quality.  This usually results in run-on sentences of this type:

"And then I did X, Y, and Z, and this happened and that happened, and then the cops came and then we found Susan's head in the dryer..."

But after a couple pages of this drivel I find the words are flowing again.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 03:13:12 AM »
Don't read this if you get offended easily ;)

(click to show/hide)
The problem with this that that often you are no longer in a position to actually record anything, which defeats most of the purpose. 

Another thing (I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a technique, but I've found it can work for me) is to just plow through the part that I'm stuck on in any way possible, regardless of quality.  This usually results in run-on sentences of this type:

"And then I did X, Y, and Z, and this happened and that happened, and then the cops came and then we found Susan's head in the dryer..."

But after a couple pages of this drivel I find the words are flowing again.
Agreed.  It really comes down to finding any way to get from Page 1 to Page 2.  anything beyong taht is editing.  But as long as keys are being pressed, the words are flowing.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 02:57:27 PM »
The problem with this that that often you are no longer in a position to actually record anything, which defeats most of the purpose. 

Well not for me.  Its been a long time since my tolerence has been that low :P   Definitely don't try it if you aren't used to it. At least for block breaking purposes.  Besides even if you just get so baked you sit and stare at the refrigerator for 3 hours, you should just keep your mind running along the path of your story.  Then when you sober up you can write again. And if its trash throw it out and if its gold click the save button.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »
hehe, my biggest problem with writing in general is that most of it is done in my head and I rarely manage to get it out on paper.  I tried voice recognition for a bit, but even a high end one didnt work consistently.  I even played around with the idea of paying some college kid to transcribe dictation, which I still think I should pursue.  Work (and some online RP) is forcing me to become a faster typist, so I may have just fixed it the hard way while I wasn't looking.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Angelis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »
Reading or watching something that's not similar enough to what I'm working on to get in the way, but is close enough that my characters will have reactions and opinions.

Now this solution, I like. I tried it out to a certain extent a couple of nights ago. It didn't shatter the block completely but it definitely helped to get my mind working again as far as writing. :) Thank you for the recommendation!

Offline Angelis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 03:17:05 PM »
I really like a lot of these ideas so far...I think I'm going to keep a list of these handy! ;D

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 04:29:50 PM »
Agreed.  It really comes down to finding any way to get from Page 1 to Page 2.  anything beyong taht is editing.  But as long as keys are being pressed, the words are flowing.

Provided you are not the kind of person for whom the words flowing to the wrong place can kill a project.