Author Topic: Baltimore and Other Possible Dresdenverse Cities  (Read 19580 times)

Offline Sh33p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Baltimore and Other Possible Dresdenverse Cities
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »
...I am curious as to whether or not it'd even be possible to Dresdenize my home state of South Carolina, let alone any specific cities in it. :P

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am looking to Run/Build the Dresdenverse version of Nottingham.

Do you think that running the first games as feet wet/waste deep and them being university students (kind of like Billy and the Alphas) and slowly expand out to the things going on in the area.

To start with they would deal with university cults (dabblers in magic), low powered white court using and abusing the students (actually think this would make a good big bad for the first arc),

what sort of low level threats do ytou think i could throw at them, think possibly an angry spirit of a dead student (possibly murdered by white court big bad), anyway just trying to think of some entry level type threats that would work well in the dresdenverse.

Offline MFeeney

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
Looking at doing San Francisco for my gaming group (funny I lived an hour a way from the city for nearly 30 years and I only went there a handful of times but it is the closest big city)  just for fun I may do the City I am in currently Sofia Bulgaria ( actually have Ideas for Stara Zagora as well) in hopes that when I come back here may get some of my students playing.  Since I should be back in California just after the book comes out in June

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 04:37:49 PM »
I'm going to be doing Knoxville/East TN.

Two cities I would like to see done (I'll probably find a way to incorporate them into mine some how) are Rome and Jerusalem.

Especially Jerusalem.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 06:40:54 PM »
...I am curious as to whether or not it'd even be possible to Dresdenize my home state of South Carolina, let alone any specific cities in it. :P

Lived in Charleston for several years and drove all over the state.  I think most any Southern city, especially one with as much history as Charleston would be ripe for Dresdenizing. 
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »
Before settling on Munich, we briefly thought about doing the "Other Dresden Files" based in the city of Dresden, Germany. :)

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 11:21:14 PM »
Before settling on Munich, we briefly thought about doing the "Other Dresden Files" based in the city of Dresden, Germany. :)

Lots of pissed off ghost potential in Dresden but Munich is a better crossroads city IMO. 

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 11:36:52 PM »
Lots of pissed off ghost potential in Dresden but Munich is a better crossroads city IMO. 

Funny, "crossroads" is sort of one of the themes of the city. We decided on "The bridges over the Isar (the local river) do not only connect the two river banks." Starting from there, the city has a whole lot of places where you can crossover into the Nevernever. There even seems to be some sort of portal beneath the city leading to the Outer Gates or beyond. And we decided that at the Marian Column (the exact geographic center of Bavaria) all Bavarian Ley Lines cross. Probably a feat of supernatural engineering changed the flow of the ley lines when the column was raised.

So, "crossroads" is written all over the city.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2010, 12:09:49 AM »
Funny, "crossroads" is sort of one of the themes of the city. We decided on "The bridges over the Isar (the local river) do not only connect the two river banks." Starting from there, the city has a whole lot of places where you can crossover into the Nevernever. There even seems to be some sort of portal beneath the city leading to the Outer Gates or beyond. And we decided that at the Marian Column (the exact geographic center of Bavaria) all Bavarian Ley Lines cross. Probably a feat of supernatural engineering changed the flow of the ley lines when the column was raised.

So, "crossroads" is written all over the city.

It's also a hub for trains, the autobahn, and air travel and within driving distance to some great castles and other more recent historical sites (Berchtesgaden, etc).   

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »
It's also a hub for trains, the autobahn, and air travel and within driving distance to some great castles and other more recent historical sites (Berchtesgaden, etc).   

I know. I actually live there ;) The supernatural angle is just enforcing this.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:16 AM »
I know. I actually live there ;) The supernatural angle is just enforcing this.

I envy your beer selection Carabas.  I lived in Ansbach when I was in the Army (way back in 89-91) and have fond memories (if somewhat blurry) of Bavaria.

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2010, 12:35:35 AM »
I envy your beer selection Carabas.  I lived in Ansbach when I was in the Army (way back in 89-91) and have fond memories (if somewhat blurry) of Bavaria.

Back in 89-90 is was in the States attending high school.
And, while we have a great beer selection, I am not a beer drinker. I prefer wine and cocktails...

Offline aumshantih

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2010, 01:26:07 AM »
I'm likely going to start up a Dresden Files game set in Providence, RI (where I've lived for a while).  The city *begs* for it, especially considering the Lovecraft connections.  Being the small city in the smallest state, I'll probably expand it outwards, including Southeast New England and Boston in the works.

I'm also interested in doing something more exotic, like Calcutta (where my family is from), or Mexico City.  Both would require more work, as neither would really have "kosher" Dresden phenomenon.  Calcutta has a huge amount of supernatural lore, and considering the lifespan of wizards, you could even have some kind of White Council as neo-Imperialists who still remember the British Raj versus "upstart" local factions.  Mexico City of course would introduce the so called "Obsidian Court Vampires" - a fun fusion of mesoamerican deities and vampiric fun.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 01:51:02 AM »
Mexico City sounds like a dangerous place to visit (much less live) for Wizards.  The PCs sure wouldn't suffer from boredom, that's for sure  :D  The number of "old" gods and the increasing level of violence in that part of the world would give a group no end of options for the monster stomp games.

Offline Sir lerks-a-lot

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2010, 05:54:29 AM »
I plan on doing a game based in Detroit this summer. 

So far I have three skeletal ideas:
White court vampires, who feed on despair (yes, this means Esperacchius will likely make an appearance), living in the suburbs.

A Henry Ford is still alive and in control of the auto industry.  How you ask?  He's actually a young dragon.

Undead control the Detroit Salt Company.  They do this in order to provide a place for them to hide from humanity in the tunnels and caverns under the city.