Author Topic: Baltimore and Other Possible Dresdenverse Cities  (Read 19597 times)

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Baltimore and Other Possible Dresdenverse Cities
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 03:01:20 AM »
I doubt that we're likely to find official write ups of anything beyond Chicago and Baltimore.

That said, unofficial write ups can be just as fun as official ones. Once the book comes out and I have time to sit down and Dresdenify Amherst, I'll most likely post it on here. I, and I'm sure many others, would appreciate it if those intimately familiar with other cities around the world do the same.

Offline Joefoe

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:39 PM »
Seattle Washington has a whole city built ontop of the old city. fires, and earthquakes buried it about 100-150 years ago. Northwest, native american spirits, close to canada, sasquatch and such

Offline Gilesth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »
I know they're putting in a chapter on how to make your hometown all magical and stuff, so I'm going to go with Denver.  In the Fool Moon, that wolf-woman moved to a reserve in the Rocky Mountains, and they didn't specify the state, so I think I'm going to get her involved in my campaign.  Denver also has some cool history, especially with street gangs, art and culture, and sports....lots of fodder for a rag-tag group of people to investigate the wierdness of the supernatural.
I write, I game, I read.  I'm a nerd, married to a nerd, and I'm proud of it!

Offline PerCuriam

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 08:41:22 AM »
I'd definitely Dresden-ify my hometown of Buffalo, New York. Since it's solidly Rust Belt, there's umpteen-bajillion fun places to stick monsters, like the old abandoned steel plants, decaying empty warehouses and grain elevators, Love Canal, dumps with Manhattan Project leftovers in them, and a city hall that's a phallic symbol designed by Gozer Worshipers. It won't be a happy place to set a game, but it will be atmospheric.
"Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!"

Offline Simon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 02:05:29 AM »
I'd probably take a whack at Dresden-ifying my current home town of Birmingham since it's the second largest city in the UK. Might have a look into doing London as well just because of the ease of it - much larger population, political centre and large global financial hub, all the history plus it'd probably be a lot easier to find information on.

Another idea that I had was one of the major border cities on the US/Mexican border. In cities like El Paso and Ciudad Juárez or San Diego and Tijuana you've got the two countries and cultures living right up next to you that you can play off of. Throw in the drug cartels, people smuggling coyotes, industry, tourism in places like Tijuana - must be a white court smorgasbord, all the old legends and weird shit like the 400 plus unsolved murdered women in Ciudad Juárez and you should be able to come up with more than enough to keep your group occupied. :)

Offline kaemgen

• Conversationalist
  • Ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »
I'd definitely Dresden-ify my hometown of Buffalo, New York. Since it's solidly Rust Belt, there's umpteen-bajillion fun places to stick monsters, like the old abandoned steel plants, decaying empty warehouses and grain elevators, Love Canal, dumps with Manhattan Project leftovers in them, and a city hall that's a phallic symbol designed by Gozer Worshipers. It won't be a happy place to set a game, but it will be atmospheric.

And of course we have Niagara falls just a short trip up the 190, Alleghany State Park within driving distance, and with the 4am last call there is plenty of interesting things you can meet in our plentiful corner bars.

Offline PerCuriam

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 03:09:47 AM »
And of course we have Niagara falls just a short trip up the 190, Alleghany State Park within driving distance, and with the 4am last call there is plenty of interesting things you can meet in our plentiful corner bars.

Oh God, the Falls. That town is incredibly screwed up in real life! Can you imagine what would happen if the dresdenverse monsters get some of the Niagara Falls Police Blotter crazy rubbed off on them?
"Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!"

Offline Dave Mallonee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 03:30:36 AM »
I would love to see San Antonio, TX in the Dresdenverse. The blended Hispanic/Anglo/German culture, the large number of rich Central and South American nationals with homes here (possible Red Court connections), the Alamo and all the other Missions (would it be to cliche to have a Knight of the Cross duel a Denarian at Mission Espada?), the Riverwalk, the military bases. I think it would present an excellent backdrop for stories.

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 01:42:32 AM »
I've been planning little back story objects around my hometown, Kansas City.  It is fairly centrally located and with a member of the senior council located in the same state there could be some great storylines.
I'll be honest there was also a LARP group I hung out with a couple of times that had a really cool idea that I'll adapt.  There's a highway that can be driven in a complete circle around the city.  I just haven't decided if it's keeping something in, or something out.

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 04:02:37 PM »
Though for that matter using the circular highway idea Paris has a lot of really good storyline ideas AND the peripherique.

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 12:44:46 AM »
On cities that would work well in the Dresdenverse I would submit Portland, OR and Seattle, Wa Both have interesting histories as port towns and ties to the far east as well as extensive undergrounds. The use of the protland underground by press gangs is the origin of the term "Shanghaied"

Also would anyone be interested in working on compiling city guides created by natives for on-line publication? It would be a great resource for all of us. Google Maps has maps that can be saved and made public that have street views and lots of info.
Just a thought.
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 01:50:49 AM »
My brother and I are in the process of pre-Dresdenifying Spokane Washington, our home.

We are the 2nd largest City in the state and yet we have the 2nd worst job market in the country.
We have the weirdest weather. In the winter it snows for a while, then rains, then gets hot, then snows again right out of the blue then gets sunny again. There's frickin' faerie activity around here.

Our city has remained mostly unchanged since the 1950's and yet we were host to the 1974 world's fair.

In short, looking at our history we have room for Native American spirits (The Spokane roughly translated are "The Children of the Sun"), Faerie shenanigans (Especially at Sprague & Division), Hidden horrors and other weird phenomena including a bear in downtown a few years ago.

There is also the fact that Mead north of Spokane is the birthplace of the Myst franchise, which upon closer inspection could be interpreted as being inspired by Demenses in the Nevernever.

But, I'd love to see someone make Jerusalem, Berlin or Vancouver.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 02:03:44 AM »
Something that I'd like to see for future or fan fueled projects:

Atlanta
New Orleans
New York
Las Vegas (they have folks living in the storm drains already!)
San Francisco

I realize that some of them have already been covered in other games (most notably White Wolf products) but I think a fresher view (with aspects) would work better.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11:34 AM »
Something that I'd like to see for future or fan fueled projects:

Las Vegas (they have folks living in the storm drains already!)

Check out this Podcast: http://www.thewalkingeye.com/?p=624 linked from the DFRPG site

Lenny talks about their playtest setting, Las Vegas as written by a Vegas Native. His take on it was that the entire Strip was Accorded Neutral Territory.

It sounds really cool.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 02:15:36 AM »
Ok this is strange I am also a Spokane Native and have been working on a similar project. what are the odds. there is some great stuff here. I already adapted D20 modern to the Dresdenverse here in Spokane and ran an adventure were the local chapter of the Hells Angels (they have a club house on east Sprague) was run by the barer of Ursiel.
Some other great fodder here in town.  
Spokane is operating under a Gypsy curse.
 http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003765695_marksobit28m.html
check out  the spokesman review cold case files for unsolved murders especialy "Millie" a woman who's dismembered body parts were found at very different times.
 http://www.spokesmanreview.com/coldcase/
Haunted places in Spokane
http://theshadowlands.net/places/washington.htm
1000 steps sight of haunting and "devil" worship
http://spokane.onethousandthingstodo.com/2008/10/31/visit-greenwood-cemeterys-haunted-1000-steps/
this all on top of more than our share of serial killers (Green river, Yeats) I think Spokane will make a great city for the game.
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."