Author Topic: I Know That You Know That I Know That You Know....  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Harlan Quinn

• Participant
    • View Profile
I Know That You Know That I Know That You Know....
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:51:31 AM »
How many different groups are aware of the existence of magic in the Dresdenverse?   We know that the Vatican is aware, but what about other religions?   Are there Jewish, Hindu, etc groups in each religion that act as special task forces?   Will there be rules in the game for designing such groups?

And what about governments?   Besides some rogue FBI agents, I can't remember any federal Black Cat Squads.    And how widespread is the Mob's knowledge of magic?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: I Know That You Know That I Know That You Know....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:00:22 AM »
There's no "canon" answer to this one. So let's treat this as speculative: How would YOU answer the question for YOUR game?  (Weigh in, people!)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Wolfhowls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 03:44:34 AM »
For me it would be government, only a very very very small portion of the government (For all countries). Some goes along with The Church. Then maybe same small resistances groups.
"MY GOD!  HE'S INSANE!  Thank God I'm helpless!"
Bloo: >w< WH is that crazy comic book character that no one really questions, in fear that their own safety will be what is questioned next.

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 03:59:41 AM »
In my game most religions would know something is going on but each of them would put everything into there own frame of reference. So for example, if an Imam met a fairy he might mistake it for a djinn. Or if a priest met a outsider, he might mistake it form a demon from hell. So in a sense everyone would be partially right, they just wouldn't have the entire picture.

And of course each religion would have their own unique magical occurrences. Some Jews might be able to predict the future using numerology. While some people in Hinduism might be avatar's of various gods.* This would be in addition to "normal" faith magic.

Now as for task forces I haven't decided yet, but there would probably be at least a few heroes out there from every faith. Perhaps a lone Aztec priest carving out the hearts of monster in a vain attempt to hold back the end of the age, or a over worked Voodoo Priest who works with the Loa to hunt down those things that threaten his congregation.

As for other organizations I'm undecided right now.

*Makes note to create avatar template one game comes out. 
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »
It seems to make sense that other religions would have champions. The important factor seems to be faith, and folks have faith in all sorts of things. It doesn't seem a stretch to have Muslim and Jewish champions.

Likewise, it seems likely that some governments have noticed something. Coincidence only covers so much, after all.

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
I don't think you'd have "widespread" government knowledge.  It might be limited to small, special groups with a limited remit to investigate oddness with superiors that don't believe the truth.  Think the X-Files (with regards to the activities of Mulder and why Scully went to work with him) rather than The Initiative from BtVS (government-sponsored weirdness hunting & research).  So there's probably no full-on BPRD either.  The main limit to this would be the "the mortal authorities are like bringing in nuclear weapons" meme that supernaturals and wizards subscribe to.

But, of course, that's just me.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 04:04:34 AM »
In my game, this question would be answered the same way the government answers a lot of questions,
"I'm sorry, that's classified."

However, vamping on what Harry has said throughout the books and particularly in Small Favor on walls, they wouldn't need to try to keep it a secret. The best thing about the modern world is that the public's belief in science is a  self-maintaining anti-conspiracy theory.

Imagine you ask an MIB for an explanation and they say, "It's magic, Sir."
Now imagine you are an FBI agent....
Then a CIA Agent....
Then a Police Chief...
Then a Politician...
Then President Obama himself...

Their reactions will be identical to the Mailman on the 1st page of Storm Front.
First they laugh... then they ask for the Truth and all they get is, "It's magic, Sir..."

In my game, the few people in the government that do know would make like Karrin Murphy, keep the information to themselves. The few units put together to deal with the magical world would have to be motley crews most people think insane. Even a veteran Intelligence operative would be more likely to believe a convoluted Rube Goldberg styled assassination plot then an explanation of magic and the Nevernever.

In my games, I probably have one government position that's on the books, but not publicized called the White Staff, a liason between the White Council and the U.S. intelligence community.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:16:21 AM »
In my game...there would be some 'agencies' that knew...like the
(click to show/hide)
in Mean Streets, bit no widespread knowledge within the groups or religions.

This lets me introduce groups as I wish, as either friend, foe or misguided ally....and allows for some fun NPC's...possibly with various abilities of their own.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline hkjakkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 05:06:02 AM »
I agree with Jaroslav.

Offline Harlan Quinn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 01:09:27 AM »
After thinking about it, I came to a couple conclusions:

The Mob is all about power and so the few who do know about magic probably keep it to themselves.

The government is probably researching it, but due to cross-department fiefdoms, governmental efficency  ;) , and a healthy disinformation by the White Council, nothing is really know at the upper levels.

As for the different religions, I would say the more hiearchical it is, the greater the knowledge of magic.

Which leads me to a completely different question:What's the difference between faith and magic?

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 06:30:06 AM »

Which leads me to a completely different question:What's the difference between faith and magic?
Magic hurts tech. Faith doesn't. ;)
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »
Magic is what you believe to be true. Faith is what you believe to be right.

Offline beardOsaurus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 03:29:01 AM »
I would say a lot of the religions would have champions, or a variation there of.

Say, like the Monks of Mt. Fuji for example, they would probably be well versed in magics, or the Faith magic, after all that time meditating and praying. Studying, and working.

A lot of that would be the same, around the world. Even for the groups of Satanists, or Druids. If you believe in something hard enough, then you will have gained a true sense of Magic, just like Michael, except with another religion.