Author Topic: Getting ready to submit my first story to a publisher  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Mousekabob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Getting ready to submit my first story to a publisher
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:01:14 PM »
Working on the cover letter (picture book story).  Suddenly, I feel like throwing up.

Now, I'm not entirely inexperienced in these things.  I have sold a bit of greeting card verse.  But still, if feeling like throwing up before even mailing the thing out normal?

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Getting ready to submit my first story to a publisher
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
totally normal.  Showing your work to others, especially for the express purpose of criticism is inherently stressful
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:31:58 AM »
Good luck we are all rooting for you.
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:06:28 AM »
Im almost on the same field as you Mousekabob.  I have a story that tells the beginning of my 2008 Nano novel, and I have not got a single critique or edit back for the past three days from my trusted beta readers.  i did get one that he though it was "cheesy Star Wars", but only he read half of it and didn't finish it.  It's just churning my stomach of what will the comments be when i get them back.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 06:39:29 PM »
Im almost on the same field as you Mousekabob.  I have a story that tells the beginning of my 2008 Nano novel, and I have not got a single critique or edit back for the past three days from my trusted beta readers.  i did get one that he though it was "cheesy Star Wars", but only he read half of it and didn't finish it.  It's just churning my stomach of what will the comments be when i get them back.

Get a better beta.  That guy sounds like an ass.  Can't believe he didn't even finish the thing.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight