Author Topic: Learning to play RPGs / Where to Find Players  (Read 9749 times)

Chianacat

Learning to play RPGs / Where to Find Players
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »
I've always wanted to play RPGs but have never known anyone who plays so I've never even gotten to see other people play.  I would love to learn about them and playing, especially in anticipation of this one coming out.  Any suggestions for me, as far as learning how to play and finding people around my area who play?

Offline spycer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to play RPGs / Where to Find Players
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »
Really depends on what game(s) you are looking to learn, and where in the country you live.

Conventions are good gathering places of gamers willing to teach.  Most schools have a gaming club of some kind, or a bulletin board for games, etc.
"I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry."

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
One way to start is to find your local gaming store (often abbreviated LGS) and try to join a game. This has some advantages and some disadvantages. On the plus side, you might end up in a game without needing to invest any money or much time. On the down side, since you're gaming with strangers and don't know your preferences yet, you might end up playing with people you don't get along with or in a game that you don't enjoy.

You could try getting into a play by post game. RPG.net has a play by post forum.  On the plus side, you get to read some threads and see which games look like they might be fun for you. On the down side, PBP lacks the face to face facet of table top role playing.

One way lots of folks start is to look around for a game that looks fun, grab a couple of their friends willing to try something new, and try to teach themselves. I would suggest finding a free game online rather than spending your hard earned cash, as you're not sure yet if it's your thing. I'd also suggest something that's pretty simple; that way you can concentrate on finding you role playing comfort zone rather than the rules. You can find an enormous selection of free RPGs here:

http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/freerpgs/

PDQ and Risus are very light, but I'm not sure how much play advice they offer; both of these are generic systems which allow you to play in any sort of genre and setting you like. Barbarians of Lemuria seems simple enough, and I've heard folks saying they've had a good time with it; this game is a sword and sorcery game which takes a lot of inspiration from Conan. Four Colors is a dead simple super heroes game of the 4 color variety (good guys are good, bad guys are bad, and such).

There are lots and lots of other games and sources of games out there. If you have any idea what type of setting in which you'd like to play, perhaps I could be of further assistance.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:30:23 PM »
As was mentioned, there are lots of online places where you can talk about gaming or play an online game. (Here, for example, there are many of us who can answer specific questions you might have.)

Many local bookstores and game stores have boards where you can post to find players. Or ask some of the workers -- often they know about the games and maybe can steer you toward someone who plays. Some game stores have back rooms where gamers can hang out and run a game or get into a game.

Also, you might try a game convention. There are really big ones like GenCon in Indianapolis, but there are sometimes local conventions so you might do a Google search on your area to see what you can find. The neat thing about conventions is that you can stand around and watch people play, or many times there are game demos where they will teach you, or you can sign up for a full-fledged game (which typically lasts about four hours).

In general, gamers like to talk about gaming and most of them will be willing to take some time to explain what to do. Keep in mind that in order to play most games you don't need to know much about the rules -- it's the guy running the game who needs how to do that!
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 03:34:12 AM »

Lemme check with some of my friends in the area...
I know a few of the local SCA/RPGers who who EVERYONE and stuff. How far are you willing to drive for a game? What's your nearest town?

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Chianacat

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions...research will commence.

Fyrchick...I live about 45 mins from Augusta and Brunswick.  Portland is only about 1 1/2 hours away.  I'd be willing to drive that far.  (I drive a lot for my job so driving doesn't bother me much)

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 11:54:28 PM »

www.snowconmaine.com  This one is over but there's some links.

http://www.portconmaine.com/

Theres also Initiative 17 Games in Old Town.  ;)

Later chica.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Chianacat

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »
thank ye darlin'!

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
And here's a video of an experienced game master describing the Fate system and Spirit of the Century:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycxhHKOUVNw

There are a good many videos relating to the Dresden Files show on YouTube, and a few Jim interviews if you dig patiently.

I'm just waiting for the Dresden Files LARP videos to start showing up...  ;D
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline Trenton Thomas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 04:48:40 AM »
There's another shop in Old Town as well as a few in Bangor, though their names escape me.  I don't frequent them, really.  One is by Bullmoose Music, though it seems to be heavy into DnD Mini's and card games but they had a decent sized group in there and a bulletin board.  There's also a few websites that have gamer classifieds I could send you if you're still without a group.

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 03:24:42 AM »
RPG-related Forums can also help locate other Gamers near you.

Pen and Paper Games - http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums will give you how far people are from you, with travel distances.
Giant in the Playgound - http://www.giantitp.com/forums also check out the comic: Order of the Stick

There are others out there, but too much at once can be just as much a problem as not enough.
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 12:55:48 PM »
I must admit. I consider myself an RPGer, but i had no Idea this was in the works. It should be quit interesting to see.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »
there's an organization in my uni, but... well.. I just want to *try* it, not totally get into it. >>.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Mr Suspenders

• Conversationalist
  • wee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 07:44:53 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Moved up to Chicago (Bolingbrook) actually from St. Louis back in August and looking to meet some gamers.  I still go back to STL to game with some friends when I'm visiting family but would like to meet some new people up here.  My only drinking buddy who I knew up here is now moving away at the end of April for a job in Alabama. 

BOO!  :(

Offline Cripple X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
Would anybody be interested in starting a Dresden Files RPG group over the internet?  Maybe Play by Post, Skype, or something like that?