Linked Events

• TC signing in Dayton, OH: April 15, 2009

Author Topic: April 15: TC signing in Dayton, OH  (Read 28857 times)

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
Re: April 15: TC signing in Dayton, OH
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »
See, now, it's just a difference of opinion, of course, but I would feel rude if I didn't. The owners open the store, pay their employees to work after hours, organize the festivities and run the show, and don't charge admission. Seems the least I can do is buy a book they're probably only gonna make a buck off of anyway. JMO
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Torvaldr

• Posty McPostington
  • The Morning Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Torvaldr's Leatherworks
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »
See, now, it's just a difference of opinion, of course, but I would feel rude if I didn't. The owners open the store, pay their employees to work after hours, organize the festivities and run the show, and don't charge admission. Seems the least I can do is buy a book they're probably only gonna make a buck off of anyway. JMO

I probably would have ended up buying something, but the draw is Jim, and I did already buy two copies of Turn Coat. The issue for me is more one of getting blind sided about the "must buy" rule after having driven 5 hours to get there. I have never been to a book signing before and the ad I had seen about the signing didn't say anything about purchase required.
Hugs are my second favorite thing in the world. The first involves hugging, but is more vigorous.

Offline Torvaldr

• Posty McPostington
  • The Morning Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »
Also take into account that if I had gone I would have already spent between $100 and $125 dollars on gas, food, and motel.
Hugs are my second favorite thing in the world. The first involves hugging, but is more vigorous.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
I'm sure most stores would have been just as happy to sell you a different book if you already had a copy of Turn Coat. The point is merely from a owner's perspective, they do these things to get people in their doors and hopefully Sell More Books.

Some stores are really specific about which books you have to buy, and some are more laid back.

Also take into account that if I had gone I would have already spent between $100 and $125 dollars on gas, food, and motel.

Between you and me, Tor. I don't think they really care about that. I care. Jim would care, and of course you care, but I don't think the bookstore owner would care.  ;) :D They care whether they can feed their own kids and I can't say I blame them for that. Especially in this economy. The book business is hard enough in good times without the recent hit to people's "Luxury budgets".

Offline Torvaldr

• Posty McPostington
  • The Morning Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »
I'm sure most stores would have been just as happy to sell you a different book if you already had a copy of Turn Coat. The point is merely from a owner's perspective, they do these things to get people in their doors and hopefully Sell More Books.

Some stores are really specific about which books you have to buy, and some are more laid back.

Between you and me, Tor. I don't think they really care about that. I care. Jim would care, and of course you care, but I don't think the bookstore owner would care.  ;) :D They care whether they can feed their own kids and I can't say I blame them for that. Especially in this economy. The book business is hard enough in good times without the recent hit to people's "Luxury budgets".

Oh no, I don't expect them to care. That is just looking at it from my perspective. Not knowing about the must buy, and then spending all that money to get there, then being told buy something or no seeing Jim. I would have certainly looked around, and probably would have bought something while I was there. It just would have been the shock factor after making that long drive.

It is a moot point since I didn't go, I just wish I had known or seen that information before.

Offline Smitty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 01:07:50 AM »
Just got back from the signing.  What a great time.  Jim seems like a really nice and gracious person.  The store would let you bring anything or any book for Jim to sign.  Just not Turn Coat.  you had to buy it there.  One guy brought his whole library.  Jim signed them all.  Lol.  There was well over 100 peeps that showed up for it.  So there was quite a few questions and alot of laughter. :)
Smitty

Offline clorby

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 02:40:49 AM »
It was awesome :)  And I feel like a total dork because I said "This Is So Awesome!" as soon as I got to the table with my books to sign.  lol ;D ;D ;D  My friend and I had an awesome time :)  It was well worth the 2 hour drive...in the rain...and the stupid traffic.  I cannot use the word 'awesome' enough to describe it.  it truley did leave me in Awe and Wonder ;D

Offline Seriphina

• Posty McPostington
  • Mouse in the House
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 04:24:19 AM »
My husband and I went.  We drove two hours from Indianapolis, it was well worth it.  Jim was great.  Very funny, personable, and down to earth.  We had a fantastic time.  He even answered two of my questions.  I can't wait until we get the opportunity to do something like this again.  Next time I want to ask him if he watches BSG in addition to Buffy and Babylon Five.  :)

Offline MoonBaseNick

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 04:37:55 AM »
Hey, Indianapolis here as well, My buddy and I had one heck of a time! Looking forward to his next book signing.  Next time us Indy people need to car pool!   ;D

Offline wolfen42

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »
We drove up and showed our weasiliness by buying the 5th Codex Alera and a copy of Mean Streets for Jim to sign and had him sign our copy of Turn Coat that we bought elsewhere also (Way to stick it to the man! wait.... hmmm... )

It was a really great event and really good to see a nice guy like Jim doing something that he obviously loves.

And yes.. we got our glow in the dark Bob signed.

Haikus are easy
Sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Offline WolverLini

• Participant
  • My favorite Black Council actress? Dorosh Day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
I probably would have ended up buying something, but the draw is Jim, and I did already buy two copies of Turn Coat. The issue for me is more one of getting blind sided about the "must buy" rule after having driven 5 hours to get there. I have never been to a book signing before and the ad I had seen about the signing didn't say anything about purchase required.

Agreed.  I went to last night's signing and ran into the same problem.  I brought with me three copies of TC, bought at my local BN (I had store credits and gift cards that I wanted to use, one copy to go to my sister, the other to my dad, both fans).  Before I did that, I had PMed a person on this board and had asked if it would be a problem and was told that people did that all the time.

I was rather upset when I was told I would not be allowed to have books signed that had not purchased there.  I then spoke to the events coordinator and explained that I had come in good faith, I had asked if was a permissible course of action on this site and had been told it was, that I understood the rationale behind the new policy, having been in bookstore retail at one time.  I told her I had not gone to the store's website and that I was willing to make  good faith purchase of one copy of TC, if I would be allowed to have two of the copies I brought signed.

She decided that I  could have the books I brought signed, under the circumstances.  I promised to buy my signing event books from there on future trips.  While I did not buy any books there last night I did make a substantial purchase at the coffee shop inside the store.

I had a wonderful time at the signing, Jim answered my question (shooting down a pet theory in the process) and answered a spoiler question I had, when I went up to get the book signed.

I surely will go to more signings when I can.
The WolverLini

Nil desperandum!

Offline Seriphina

• Posty McPostington
  • Mouse in the House
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »
So I looked up the breed that Jim said Mouse is.  It seems pretty much the way I imagined him.  By the way......I frakking love Mouse!

Offline Phoenix_Kayden

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 03:42:41 PM »
I went last night as well and I was like a kid in a candy shop! He was just as witty and wonderful as I thought he was. My friend and I got there a little late and I was #91 in line but it was definitely worth the wait to actually meet him. After he had signed my books and such I walked away and my hand was shaking I was so nervous and excited. He really is wonderful and I can't wait untli he comes back in the area!
"I promise not to eat your soul."
-They Call Him Phoenix, a work in progress

-"If I need you I'll give you a signal."
-"What signal?"
-"I'll imitate the scream of a terrified little girl."

Offline TimZ

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 02:26:55 AM »
I'm Seri's husband and I agree with every one.  This was a lot of fun and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  It was worth every one of the 30 minutes of vacation time I had to use.   :)

Jim was awesome.  He was very kind and gracious.  He even gave a really cool answer to my complaint about how the books make my family think I hate them while signing our stuff.  (They always seem to come out around holidays and then I've got my nose buried in a book at family events). 

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 02:31:40 AM »
Welcome Tim!

Welll.......???? what was his answer??!