Author Topic: Authors and Procrastination  (Read 14111 times)

Offline KarlTenBrew

• Conversationalist
  • The good and the bad, but the gun doesn't hurt
    • View Profile
Re: Authors and Procrastination
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2009, 05:03:06 PM »
I guess it depends on how much you want to / plan on getting done in a year [one book, two books, half a book], but it hasn't seemed to matter to me.  Silly internet and MMORPGs...generally I get my writing done at work or on vacation.  If I can change that, maybe I can get somewhere  ::)
Am I a wannabe who won't finish, or tadpole author waiting to grow up?  Probably the former, but we'll find out later.

'Agents of C.R.O.S.S.' - coming soon(ish)©®™ to a bookstore near you, courtesy of Karl TenBrew

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2009, 06:50:59 AM »
I guess it depends on how much you want to / plan on getting done in a year [one book, two books, half a book], but it hasn't seemed to matter to me.  Silly internet and MMORPGs...generally I get my writing done at work or on vacation.  If I can change that, maybe I can get somewhere  ::)

I aim to get a novel's worth done a year, as this seems a reasonable amount to be writing in the event that I sell something.  I think of roughly two thousand words a week every week as a sensible way to do this.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline NothingWicked

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2009, 07:44:04 PM »
An interesting twist I've encountered on Chapter Titles is having a quote precede a chapter rather than a title. In books like "This Alien Shore" they add a depth and flavor to the novel's world as well as add a commentary on, rather than spoiler for, the following chapter. They also seem to create a universal undercurrent to the themes of the novel as a whole. 

edit: that was weird... I was trying to post this in the thread "chapter titles yes or no" and if somehow posted here... not sure what that's about...
"per me si va nella citta dolente, per me si va nell' etterno dolore, per me si va tra la perduta gente"

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2009, 02:57:09 AM »
Now that I've managed to break my wall and get writing again, I've found procrastination's not so much the problem as it is reality interrupting.  Like now to sleep.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline RangerSG

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2009, 06:57:14 AM »
I've gotten up to chapter IV and 10000 words now. Been pretty steady at around 1200 per day, taking Sunday's off (well, and when the US National Team was playing last week. ;) )