Author Topic: Authors and Procrastination  (Read 14112 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Authors and Procrastination
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »
  And that is a major ouch and I'm guessing you need some ultra expensive tax person to detangle the mess or ignore it and plan to never travel to that country A ever again?

The situation I am thinking of is an agent selling rights for a translation to be published in country A to a publisher in country A; the writer actually travelling to country A is not an issue here.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »
I figured it would be if you didnt pay taxes in country A because of the complexities?  Or do you need to file taxes in your country, plus A or only in yours?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »
I figured it would be if you didnt pay taxes in country A because of the complexities?  Or do you need to file taxes in your country, plus A or only in yours?

Having a clear answer on this question would be really rather helpful. *sigh*

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 02:07:32 AM »
let's see that probably involves two separate toll free tax help lines, each with a minimum of 35 options to choose from to get to an answer that doesn't even vaguely get you in the right area of expertise that you need.   Yep, government tax 101.

My son called tonight to tell me his Canadian papers showed up.  (My X was born in Canada and nationalized in the US at age 10 or something.)  I thought you had to chose one or the other, but maybe it's gotten easier for dual citizenship these days.  He's in law school.  Told him I couldn't wait to see him in the Queen's court wearing powered wig... 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 02:17:30 AM »
Not when you make a sale in country A where the mechanisms for paying tax on foreign sales assume you live in country B and you actually live in country C and so the money for the sale hangs indefinitely in limbo because nobody will back down on which documentation is needed where.

*touches nose*

oh, hey, blood.

*touches ears, more blood*

oh, wow....uhm...I think I'm a little light headed. I'ma...

*Collapse*
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 03:50:38 AM »
let's see that probably involves two separate toll free tax help lines, each with a minimum of 35 options to choose from to get to an answer that doesn't even vaguely get you in the right area of expertise that you need.   Yep, government tax 101.

My son called tonight to tell me his Canadian papers showed up.  (My X was born in Canada and nationalized in the US at age 10 or something.)  I thought you had to chose one or the other, but maybe it's gotten easier for dual citizenship these days.  He's in law school.  Told him I couldn't wait to see him in the Queen's court wearing powered wig... 

I actually saw a headline about Canadian naturalization on yahoo earlier.  Didn't read the article, but something about them passing a law that would return citizenship to people who moved and had to chose a country to be a citizen of, and it would automatically include children.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 04:26:51 AM »
Saw that too. It's just like Starbeam said.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »

I don't know how it is between Canada and the US. I do know people who hold dual Canadian-Irish citizenship, but not if one can get that starting out as an irish citizen and immigrating to Canada as an adult.  I hope so, becuase I would like to, but one has to be a permanent resident for three years first anyway and I am only just closing on one year as a resident.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 03:38:57 AM »
Character casting.  I've posted about it before.  It makes you excited to return to your story when you've spent eight hours finding the right face on the internet.  I usually don't use well-known actors or actresses.  I go for random models or random people whose photos are posted on the internet on photography sites and stuff.  Trust me it works.  When i completed a story that i posted on this one site i also made a slideshow/video of all my characters looks and posted it on youtube for my readers.  It was cool. 

You might also consider a different angle: setting the stage. Find pictures of a room, building or environment that catches your attention and set a story in it. For example:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=56549&TopID=62736.70438.&MostWanted=Y
This "Futuristic Apartment" always makes me think of futuristic noir stories. As a CGI object, you can redecorate to your heart's content and "film" from any angle. As a bonus, even the sample images can give you some good ideas; no need to buy the thing. But consider doing so anyway, please... I'm not the artist, nor am I affiliated with the site, but "starving artist" is probably much less funny these days...

Yet another option is to find props or even costumes. For example:
http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/fantasy-scifi/werearmor?item=8691&cat=16&_m=d
Doesn't this make you wonder what kind of culture would produce such an outfit?

Or how about:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=62954& What kinds of stories can you come up with around these blades? How would your characters react if they found these displayed in someone's home... and if at least one of your characters could tell that one of the blades had actually killed someone... or something?

Good luck!
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline Qualapec

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2009, 03:00:06 AM »
Do I procrastinate? Oh yeah. As a matter of fact, I'm procrastinating by writing this message.

Offline Dandalf the Grey

• Conversationalist
  • I'm going to cast my 9th level Light spell
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »
Oooooooh, yeah.  The internet is my playground.  I ride the bus to work every morning and type on my blackberry, so that's when the work gets done, but for editing and getting an overall feel...well, I'm working on book 2 when I still have 28 chapters of editing, not to mention a second round of editing after that, and designing a cover (photography, 3D modeling programs, photoshop, etc.) that needs to be done.

And instead of getting going on that I'm reading forums.  D'oh!

At least I have a rough draft done?
Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and a muffin

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 09:01:35 PM »
At least I have a rough draft done?
Better than all those of us that only yet have a pile of notes and disconnected scenes
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 09:44:18 PM »
Better than all those of us that only yet have a pile of notes and disconnected scenes

Do keep going; you make those of us who have been feeling bad about only having a handful of novels completed feel better.

Offline RangerSG

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 10:12:51 PM »
All I will say is I can stop procrastinating anytime I want...I just don't want to yet. ;)

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2009, 02:48:49 AM »
Uh-huh... :D
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D