Author Topic: Am I the only one with questions?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Captain Ben

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Am I the only one with questions?
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:29:45 AM »
THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE RPG IN THE MANNER OF HAVING INFORMATION

These are my questions, which are numerous and arrayed like spears...
1. if I know how to play d&d will I be able to play this?
2. Can I play tdfrpg with only the die 20 system, and will I need to buy extensive libraries of books to play a basic game?
3. On the same note, will i have to buy mats, figurines or other paraphlinaria to play this game?
4. Will having all of the books read twice help my understanding/ play style?
5. Will I need to make adventures or encounter type things before I play? (expected...)
    is anyone going to answer these, find out next time!

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one with questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:31:20 AM »
Let me preface this by saying that I'm just a fan of the books and of the FATE system, not anyone official.

1. FATE (the engine that will run the DF RPG) is quite different from D&D. Many facets of the game follow very different assumptions. D&D, for example, keeps track of distances in  order to create a tactical movement element. FATE uses abstract "zones" which allow you to hand wave a lot of things such as how close another character is to yours. You will have to learn the system to use the game as written.

2. The games will run using the FATE system, as mentioned above. You can take a look at it in one incarnation at the Spirit of the Century (hereafter SotC) System Reference Document, found here:

http://zork.net/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html

Judging from the pattern set by SotC, you'll be able to run everything right out of the core.

3. The game does not use those things.

4. It will likely help you to better understand typical situations and the type of themes to expect.

5. I don't know for certain, but I would guess yes. I have no clue whether the book is going to contain a sample adventure. SotC (the most recent FATE game put out by the Evil Hat folks) includes a sample adventure. From there, you were expected to come up with stuff to do in your game.

Related to this issue, I've found Aspects (a portion of the FATE system) really drive games forward without a lot of effort from the GM.

I hope this is helpful. If you require clarification, feel free to ask.

Offline KeyMasterOfGozer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one with questions?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:17:41 PM »
I agree with The Mouse here.  I would advise taking a look at the older FATE rule sets and SotC, as they are free and online.  It will give you good indication of what DFRPG will be like.  In many ways, FATE is a lot simpler and more elegant than D&D and most other RPGs.  In reality, I prefer a lot more numbers in an RPG, but even though I prefer the crunchy systems, FATE, especially SotC has a lot of really cool features that are great for actual plot and story.  I love SotC's addition of Swapping chars during creation phases to work the party's characters together in their backgrounds.

Anyway, I ramble.  You should check out:
http://www.faterpg.com/

It will get you informed about the system's style.