Author Topic: Jim's stand on fic?  (Read 25073 times)

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
Re: Jim's stand on fic?
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2009, 12:27:40 AM »
This goes to my point; I feel it was intended to be this way, to show that the people in the plot are unfocused, as discussed above. The Rand-machine, the Dragon's situation, was smaller earlier in the story; as such, it was easier to maneuver. But once everything gets too big, people's minds simply can't wrap themselves around it and retreat to the safety of the familiar - i.e., personal power, wishes, etc. - and it all falls apart. It's not that Jordan's writing became unfocused in my thought; it's that the characters themselves became unfocused.
Ah ok.....yeah I didn't get taht feeling.
I can see he was trying to show a world falling apart...but at the same time....it just dragged on too long.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »
As for Jim, remember folks, he's not stomping on fan fic, he's not jackbooting about...he is asking not to know, so he doesn't HAVE to, by law, take action. IE, he doesn't give a damn, and would rather not be made to give a damn.

Going waaaay back in this thread, this is why I said you have to ask Jim himself if you get the chance to see him in person.

His response to the question of fanfic was actually a lot of fun.

As for later, I was responding to the comment about why authors have to come down so hard when they do know about it!

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2009, 01:25:04 AM »
This goes to my point; I feel it was intended to be this way, to show that the people in the plot are unfocused, as discussed above. The Rand-machine, the Dragon's situation, was smaller earlier in the story; as such, it was easier to maneuver. But once everything gets too big, people's minds simply can't wrap themselves around it and retreat to the safety of the familiar - i.e., personal power, wishes, etc. - and it all falls apart. It's not that Jordan's writing became unfocused in my thought; it's that the characters themselves became unfocused.

This actually makes quite a bit of sense.  I remember reading an interview with Jordan several years ago.  He said that he knew exactly how the story was going to end, and has known since he started writing.  One thing I really remember that sticks out is that he said there were going to be quite a few loose ends that weren't going to be tied up.  Because that's how real life is.  Everything's not tied up in a neat little bow with no loose ends at all like Lucas did with the SW prequels.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2009, 02:59:06 AM »
This actually makes quite a bit of sense.  I remember reading an interview with Jordan several years ago.  He said that he knew exactly how the story was going to end, and has known since he started writing.  One thing I really remember that sticks out is that he said there were going to be quite a few loose ends that weren't going to be tied up.  Because that's how real life is.  Everything's not tied up in a neat little bow with no loose ends at all like Lucas did with the SW prequels.

Exactly. DF, it feels that way even to me... but that's like dealing with the government. Too real and too icky.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:02 AM »
Exactly. DF, it feels that way even to me... but that's like dealing with the government. Too real and too icky.
Eh...I don't read for it to be like real life!!! :)

Basically, while I agree, that sort of thing would happen in real life, he suddenly sprung it out in the middle of a 10+ book series.
He had obstacles and his hero's overcoming them, then all of sudden, his hero's are practically impotent, there's thousands of side plots, tons of new characters involved in said side plots......to the point where his books chapters jump from character to character.

LIke I said, it feels to me like he just lost control, rather than trying to simulate real life.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2009, 03:11:59 AM »
Fair enough. I kind of had the "whoa, wait, when did everything start bogging down?" feeling myself, but only before I re-read the series. The slowdown has been building up since the beginning; it's just not obvious because they somehow manage to punch through and succeed early on.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2009, 03:24:59 AM »
My biggest probelm with Matrix Reloaded?

The completely gratuitous Zion orgy scene.
I mean, wtf??

We want to see these people are Cool, so big multi-racial dance party with visible gay couples and triads if you look closely. Works for me.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2009, 03:26:58 AM »
yay.

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2009, 03:29:04 AM »
We want to see these people are Cool, so big multi-racial dance party with visible gay couples and triads if you look closely. Works for me.
Yeah...just don't see how it fits into the plot.
Unless that's how Zion celebrates all announcements of doom

Multi-racial orgy.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2009, 04:35:54 AM »
I got the feeling it was how Zion celebrated everything.

One could almost imagine people going about their day to day life, having conversations starting with "You going to the orgy tonight?"

I also got the feeling that they really encouraged breeding, so....

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2009, 07:51:05 AM »
One could almost imagine people going about their day to day life, having conversations starting with "You going to the orgy tonight?"

Rome was burning for other reasons...
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2009, 01:23:51 PM »
Fair enough. I kind of had the "whoa, wait, when did everything start bogging down?" feeling myself, but only before I re-read the series. The slowdown has been building up since the beginning; it's just not obvious because they somehow manage to punch through and succeed early on.

That was one thing I really like with Jordan.  There seemed to be so much pointless crap in so many of the later books, but then I went back and reread them one after another, I picked up a lot of stuff that made more sense that way.  Doesn't make quite the same sense when you go several years between books.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »
Yup. It's like following politics by watching Headline News once a month. ;D

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »
Yup. It's like following politics by watching Headline News once a month. ;D

Does anyone know who won the election, McCain or Obama?

(*puts away smarta$$ hat*)
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »
Going waaaay back in this thread, this is why I said you have to ask Jim himself if you get the chance to see him in person.

His response to the question of fanfic was actually a lot of fun.

As for later, I was responding to the comment about why authors have to come down so hard when they do know about it!

Oh, I know, I was making sure other people didn't think Jim was being Di$neye$que.

Re: The Matrix party: Folks, it's the only time you get to see them enjoying life.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick