Author Topic: Jim's stand on fic?  (Read 25374 times)

Offline Infamous as Elle!

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
Re: Jim's stand on fic?
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2009, 04:41:10 AM »
Oh yeah, never thought of it that way.  Even though I think a majority of people would say that as the author's creation, it's their ball game, there would be some jerk out there trying to turn things around by saying the author was copying them.  *sighs*

At least it's not fashion design.  With fashion design, the only thing you can claim rights over, is material that has the name of the designer woven into the fabric.  So there is free license on anything cool you can come up with to wear.  Say you draw out this really funky original design on a coat and show it to your best friend or even put it up on the net.  Your best friend could turn around and draw pretty much the exact same thing and claim it was their original idea.  Worse, you could both make the same outfit and both could claim it as an orignal design.  The only way you could say that it was definitely your pattern and exclusive to you is if you took that same coat and made it out of material that had your name all over it.

It's why it's so hard to bust people for knock offs.  The only way the law can really crack down on them is if they copy the logo letter for letter.  Which is why you'll see purses that look like Chanel but the C's on the purses are changed to turn inward instead or Disny instead of Disney apparel. 

For me, I don't see any harm in someone going out and getting their own materials to make an outfit on their own that would be ridiculously out of their price range but I think it's wrong for those same people to start making copy after copy and then selling them to the mass market for a quarter of the price.
[Insert Exceeding Clever And Snappy Quote Here.]

Awesomesauce is the new ketchup!  It goes with everything good!

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »
There are also some authors who will allow fan fiction.  But then they also have very strict guidelines for it and have a form you have to fill out for them to approve, and then it also basically says that they own the work.  Mercedes Lackey did that, I don't know if she still does, and got the form from Marian Zimmer Bradley.  While searching for Mercedes Lackey and finding that out, it looks like at least one fan fic she approved was actually published.  I can see how using that form would be a good thing, because it keeps the person who wants to write the fan fic from changing the characters.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »
Here's a link to one of the better articles written on the subject.  Make sure you also read the notes at the bottom, they're interesting, too.  There are quotes from popular authors, from fans, and from fanfic writers/readers.

Fan Fiction, Novels, Copyright, and Ethics by Michela Ecks
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2009, 04:52:28 PM »
yup, like Robert Jordan's last 3!!

Jordan had the whole series plan down before he started writing; the middle grew in the telling, but as I understand it there was never any doubt about there the end would be. So "holding pattern while he figured out where he was going" is not the failure mode there.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »
Yeah....not that the sex is bad...just that there's way too much and it seems, for any reason.
Oh, your son needs to be brought into his power?
He must need to screw Anita.
You need more power to take on your enemies....screw Anita.
Perhaps they should just advertise....."Need more metaphysical muscle? Try Screwing Anita"

I actually find this morally preferable to "Anita needs to have more interesting sex, so let's enable her to do it guilt-free by having horrible things happen to other people until and unless she does it", fwiw.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2009, 04:56:27 PM »
Parodies are safe, although I don't remember exactly how they, and satire, are okay.  That's how you can get away with stuff like Bored of the Rings, Spaceballs, This is Spinal Tap, etc.

Parodies are safe provided they're not too close to pastiche; look up Mickey Mouse and the Air Pirates sometime.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
The sad truth about fanfic writers is, like so many other things, it only takes one to ruin it.  Anne McCaffrey initially allowed Pern fanfics, until (as I recall the story) something that was written in one of her novels had been portrayed in a fanfic.  Rather than accepting that she'd simply had the same idea, the fanfic author claimed McCaffrey had copied her and looked into legal action.  In the end, McCaffrey had no choice but to officially demand that no fanfics be done based on her work.

It may be worth noting that Pratchett and Gaiman have AIUI given specific individual fanfic authors permission where Good Omens is concerned.

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »
Well, that's the other thing.
EVERY male she sleeps with is impressively well endowed??

I mean....let's be realistic here.

It's the Extense...
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2009, 06:45:57 PM »
Does anyone know the specifics of say....a relative taking over and finishing novels?   Does the money go to the relative for finishing the writing and putting out the work or does it go to an estate of some kind?  Or is it split even?

I know Tolkien's son put out work along with other author's kids or brothers or sisters.....

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2009, 06:46:44 PM »
Does anyone know the specifics of say....a relative taking over and finishing novels?   Does the money go to the relative for finishing the writing and putting out the work or does it go to an estate of some kind?  Or is it split even?

Depends entirely how the author's will is set up.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »
I beleive the relative would have to have inherited the author's copyrights in order to work on their existing characters. 
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »
Jordan had the whole series plan down before he started writing; the middle grew in the telling, but as I understand it there was never any doubt about there the end would be. So "holding pattern while he figured out where he was going" is not the failure mode there.
If he had the plan down, then why the 3 or 4 books of nothing happening and pointless meandering?

Sorry, but it IS a failure....he trailed off into minutae in the middle of his story...that is a story telling 'DON'T'.

If he couldn't figure out where he was going, then in my opinion, he needed to sit down and work that out, not just write more books with the idea that eventually he'd work it out.

Knowing the end is important, but just as important, or possibly more, is HOW you get there.

We know Dresden is going to survive, in The Dresden Files books, we KNOW that ending. It's what he does to solve the problem and how he does it that suckers us in!
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »
Ha ha!  So it becomes kind of like what some said about the second Matrix movie?  That it could have been easily integrated into the last movie, still been viable and not been such a waste of money or time with very little plot?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2009, 10:05:59 PM »
But... but... you would've deprived moviegoers of all that CGI goodiness?!? :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »
Ha ha!  So it becomes kind of like what some said about the second Matrix movie?  That it could have been easily integrated into the last movie, still been viable and not been such a waste of money or time with very little plot?
Nah, I liked the 2nd Matrix movie....I just think they shot themselves in the foot with their ending of the first one.

Jordans books dragged...plot points didn't move, characters stagnated, a whole host of new minor characters were introduced....and some of them started out as more powerful than a bunch of the mains, who were already far more powerful than the norm.

Basically, it seemed like he'd lost the thread of his story and it was flailing everywhich way, like a firehose that's turned on with no one holding it.
Some water hit the fire, but it wasn't a concentrated stream.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14