Author Topic: Need some help with a SoTC type adventure  (Read 2207 times)

*Matt-D*

Need some help with a SoTC type adventure
« on: December 27, 2008, 06:30:16 AM »
I am getting ready to run my first FATE type of game and I have an outline that I am working on but I would like someone to take a look at it and see what they think... also any tips on running a 1947 FATE pulpy game would be appreciated.... Yes I do know that it looks a lot like the last Indiana Jones movie... I actually started working on it before I saw the movie..

The Adventure of the Barnsteen Skull

Setting:
Beginning takes place in the Atlanta Rod and Gun Club (Atlanta chapter house of the Century Club) during the dinner hour on 16th May, 1947. Later parts of the adventure will see the team traveling to exotic locations such as Ecuador (final dig Valdivia), England (research at Oxford, British Museum, and London's Museum of History), China, Laos, and the United States. 

Characters:

Villains
Main Villain – Duchess Natasha Zwarthart (Russian exile)
Villain Side kick -   Flick Slimfinger
Chinese Villain – Wu Ling Lo
Laos Villain – Li Duang Pot

Museum curators
London –    British Museum (Stanfield Dewy)
Museum of History (Stella Bookstack)
Oxford – Professor Nathan L. Leakey
Ecuador – Dr. Jose Nathanael Cusa Veracruz

Contacts
China – Charlie Zephyr
Laos – Shu Mei
England – Eddie "Dodger" Wallace
Ecuador – Ricardo "Little Ricky" Pino 
Atlanta – Kate Barnsteen – granddaughter of Archibald Barnsteen

Story in a nutshell:
This story will have the characters chasing after the location of the lost crystal skull called the Barnsteen Skull after Archibald Barnsteen a famous adventurer from the 1930 that was the last known person to posses the skull. He was last seen Laos during late 1939 right before the French Vichy government signed control of Laos to Japan. After they find the skull, they then need to figure out why the ex-pat Nazi group wants it and what it does.

Episode 1
The beginning of the adventure sees the group having a quiet dinner at the Atlanta Charter House, which is interrupted by the appearance of Kate who attracted the attention of the Duchess with her, inquires into the disappearance of her grandfather. The Duchess has sent two of her hired thugs to attempt to kidnap Kate outside the Century house where she had set up a meeting with the club president, Howard Ends.
After the teams spoils the attempt and is briefed by Kate, who is carrying her grandfather's notebook that describes the skull and details his plan to return it to the place where found it but does not tell why he must return it. Howard then tells the team that they are to contact Shu Mei, an operative for the Club in Vientiane.
The team will fly to the capital of Laos, Vientiane. After arrival, they will attempt to make contact with the local agent, Shu Mei. But Li Duang Pot has also been waiting on them to arrive and has several things cooked up for the team and Shu Mei.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help with a SoTC type adventure
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:16:08 PM »
It sounds like a good start. Be sure to have random ninjas and other mooks ready to toss at them to fill boring, dead end scenes.

I have found when running FATE that a lot of the game can be pushed using just the PCs' Aspects. You sort of rev things up, set the PCs down, and let the Aspects do the rest. It's amazing the prep you can save yourself just by letting the players tell you how they'd like to suffer.

For more conversation on non-Dresden FATE stuff, try a visit over to a more general board like rpg.net. There's a lot of FATE love over there.

*Matt-D*

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »
I just signed up over at RPG.net yesterday and I have been reading myself crazy...
Thanks Mouse for the help...

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »
Just in case you haven't seen it:

http://evilhat.wikidot.com/

That's the Evil Hat wiki, which includes a bunch of stuff on SotC and FATE in general. There's official errata, adaptations of the game to other genres, and a bunch more. Take a look around and you might find stuff you like.