Author Topic: People Watching  (Read 2862 times)

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
People Watching
« on: October 31, 2006, 07:19:24 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else practices people watching.  I usually people watch at the mall or while I wait at the bus stop.  The reason I asked is that I have picked up this habit of creating personas of the people I watch.  I usually don't use the in any of my stories (I should start carrying a note book around so I can write the descriptions down). 

One variation of this is to try to imagine what that person would be in a different time period/setting.  For example, I would see a business man walking down the streets of downtown as some sort of nobleman, while the guy trimming the grass on the side walk would be a field hand. 

Does anyone else do this?

Offline Danielle/Evie

• Lurker
  • Je suis ce que je suis
    • View Profile
Re: People Watching
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 09:41:57 PM »
I do, sort of. I don't generally right anything down, but I go through possible senarios in my head. It's fun, and a lot of the time it ends up giving me a ton of new ideas.
Life isn't particularly fair.
But that doesn't mean we won't survive it.

Offline ShadowInTheDarkness

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 12:57:15 AM »
I do that.  I don't generaly use them in storys, but do it more so to entertain myself.  ;D
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Allan Poe
“There is a limit to the sky, but music can be formed and reformed forever without repetition. Music is infinite.” - xjustxn0thingx (livejournal)

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:21:20 AM »
I don't use them in stories either, but I think it does help when I do need to create a character for a story. :)

Offline Tersa

• Participant
  • J'aime le beau vampire <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:35:48 AM »
I don't generally base a character off of just one person I observe, but I love people watching.  I also evesdrop, though I don't tell anyone what I overhear.  I actually learn more about human behavior that way than I do interacting with other humans a lot of the time.  It's amazing what people act like when they think no one is watching.

Plus, people watching is a nice way to spend time... if you sit in the right place you can see every emotion in the space of an hour or so. 
My avatar hosted by the folks at www.flickr.com.  This link is included so their TOS guys don't hunt me down. O_O

Though the French under my avi is probably incorrect, please don't hurt me...