Author Topic: Nevermind.  (Read 11501 times)

Offline Thanatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Nevermind.
« on: October 30, 2006, 06:35:38 PM »
Nevermind.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
You could also consider grabbing Spirit of the Century, our Pulp RPG that uses a similar core system to what we'll use in the Dresden Files RPG, and homebrewing using that as a starting point... :)

http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
And of course, the advantage to using SPIRIT would be that there would be fewer changes to your campaign later on when DFRPG comes out.

I've played in campaigns where we started under one rules set and switched midstream. It's not impossible to do, but it's a lot of work. Using SPIRIT would save you some time....
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
GURPS might work. Its magic system seems to be rather flexible, and it also has a ritual option.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Crypt King

• Participant
    • View Profile
Eden Studios All Flesh Must Be Eaten works well, especially if you use Witchcraft or Dungeons and Zombies with it.  A little more structured then FATE.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
I think my point was that although there are many RPG systems on the market that could be used (both GURPS and Unisystem have been mentioned; I would go for Unisystem given the choice) the "real thing" will be based on FATE, so if you want a campaign to run under rules similar to the official rules to be published soon you probably want to give Spirit of the Century a look.

The "guts" of the Spirit game system is the same as what we will see in the Dresden RPG, so the overall system in your campaign won't need to change much once the real thing comes out. What will be different will be the magic system, and exact details of this are still being kept under wraps by Fred and Rob. All we really know for certain is that DFRPG magic will differ from SotC magic.

Now, if you want to play a Dresden-like campaign and aren't too concerned with compatibility with the real game when it comes out, feel free to try other rules sets. I used Unisystem (the cinematic version based on Buffy, not the classic version based on Witchcraft) and ran another game under rules not unlike Amber Diceless. Both campaigns had a very Dresden-like feel to it. On the other hand, I found that d20 Call of Cthulhu didn't give me the Dresden feel as I had hoped (which is why I switched the rules to Buffy halfway through the camapign).
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Grogtard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I just did a little one shot using Savage Worlds, a simple and flexible system. A good time was had by all.
Just because I haven't posted recently, doesn't mean I haven't been on the forum.

Offline taralon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Personally I'm homebrewing under the Hero system. 

Offline bentleyml

• Participant
    • View Profile
I'm thinking of doing a Dresden-esque RPG using Eden Studio's Unisystem.  For Evocation type magic I'm using Invocations from Witchcraft and for rituals I'm using the magic system from the Buffy RPG.  I think it'll work out pretty well for my needs. 

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
I'm suprised nobody said the obvious.

6)Pay Jim lots of money to DM a freeform RPG session.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline Darrington

• Conversationalist
  • "The magic nachos will save me."
    • View Profile
In the end, this probably doesn't help out too much, but one of my best friends and I have been running/playing a game set entirely on rules derived from the books and no pre-determined system out there.  It's what we call a purely mental game.  No dice involved, so that seriously tricky situations can be avoided.  There are times when success would look better than failure, yadda yadda.  Of course, I wouldn't trust anyone other than my friend to run this sort of thing, having no rules to run off of other than what we can base off of what's been presented in the books by Harry.  It takes a lot of trust, a lot of objectivity, and a lot of reading more into things than would otherwise be necessary.  It's been a blast, though.  We've been playing for over a year. ;D

AD
"You can't hate a plant for being green." -In reference to a faerie screwing you over in deals.
"YES YOU CAN!!" -In reference to Wizard Darrington getting screwed over a dozen times too many.

A sword fight with a Red after both of us getting hit by a concussion grenade is not a good plan.

Offline Tarot

• Participant
  • And for my next trick, Anvils!
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to play a Dresden-world RPG while we're waiting on the official one...
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »
As has already been tossed out there, Eden studios will work WONDERS *has sucessfully run a few to date*.  However, for those who want another system, BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) would do as well if you toned it down.  Fung-suei comes to mind for the sheer of the wall stunts people like Marcone have pulled (like hitting a rope with a knife while being tied to said rope, hanging upside down and spinning in a circle).  I'd toss out D20 modern due to levels.  For DnD it's great.  For something like this, were you're merits lie in how fast you can think and not how hard to can hit, it leaves something to be desired.  And for those White wolf fans out there (this is m too people)  Sorry, but WOD just won't do.  You can make it work, sure, but honestly, Harry as a Mage just doesn't really jive.  It's almost too supernatural for this setting.  BUt there you have it, a quick synapsis from my opinon
"A Pagan, a Witch"
"I'm not a witch, I'm a wizard"
"What is the differeance?"
"Wizard has a Z in it"

Offline karmakaze

• Participant
  • mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Karmakaze
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 07:53:54 PM »
Personally I'm homebrewing under the Hero system. 

Yeah, I can run anything with the HERO System ;)

For the current Urban Fantasy game I'm running (not specifically a Harry Dresden game), I've just gone with a skill-based system with only a few specific intrinsic abilities built out on points. It works fine.  Probably none of the PCs are quite at Harry's level, but then, there's six of them, so they can make that up in numbers. 

(For those who like to stalk other people's RPGs - recaps of sessions live here: http://community.livejournal.com/sar_gaming/tag/game:+uln+and+aster )
"I'm not evil... I'm differently motivated"

Offline Corsair

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »
I've run campaigns using Eden's Witchcraft in the past.  I like the system, and the default campaign is close enough to the Dresden-verse that it should be easy to modify.

Also, you can download the core book from Eden Studios' website if you wanted to give it a lookover:
http://www.edenstudios.net/witchcraft/index.html

I expect I'll be robbing ideas from my Witchcraft material if I do end up running a Dresden campaign.

My group and I also have an ongoing D20 Call of Cthulhu campaign currently, and it's turned out fairly Dresden-like, and the D20 Urban Arcana setting would work even better I expect; but I'd still recommend having a look at Witchcraft, even if only for ideas.

Offline glmagus

• Participant
  • Wiseass, not just a label, but a way of life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 06:36:58 PM »
My group ran it with the old White Wolf stuff, though it was a little harder to work in ordinary humans. We ran them using the Hunter rules, but not giving the edges and whatnot. Though as the game progressed and the humans learned more about the supernatural we began to let them pick up some edges
"Step back, and let the wizardry commence."