Author Topic: Unintentional Plagiarism  (Read 3482 times)

Offline casualimp

• Participant
  • Right behind you.
    • View Profile
Unintentional Plagiarism
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:57:20 AM »
Wish so many budding writers around the world, how can one be sure they are not taking character names or places from published works without their knowledge? I've googled character names and cities I've written about with no luck. Is there a fantasy database online one can check for these things?
One foot by the dark tide;
Third eye to the light
I'm seeing everything you thought
Could never be real.

Offline Lord Arioch

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Unintentional Plagiarism
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 05:45:18 AM »
I think they have to be able to PROVE you took it from them on purpose and w/o permission for it to be plagiarism.

But I am no expert on such things.

Offline N8_The_Gr8

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 02:12:30 AM »
It's plagiarism only if they can prove that you willfully took their idea and writing and tried to pass it off as your own.

There is a database for all published works(supposedly anyway). My college uses it on all our essays/papers to make sure we aren't being lazy.

Offline Willowhugger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The United Federation of Charles
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:43:05 PM »
Sometimes, you have to catch yourself.

I wanted to insert an homage to Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter by giving the Imperial Guardsman lead in my books a hunchback for a sidekick.

I'm not sure that would be taken kindly.
Check out my blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Willowhugger

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 09:41:44 PM »
When I do a homage to another's work, I usually make it something not related to the main plot or characters.  Just enough to give the readers a "Oh, Neat!"  For example, say your characters stop in at a local bar.  A few of the background people could be based on the hobbits in Lord of the Rings.  Some small for the readers that pay attention. :)

Offline Chaos985

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 05:10:22 AM »
in proven guilty theres a cheap shot/homage at "aliens" that i though was quite excellent.  Sometimes its best just to have a few trusted friends look over something though its the only way to be sure.

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 03:22:26 PM »
Of course you get a bit of leyway for influencial works such as Lord of the Rings, Asimov, the Bible, Hemingway, etc.  At that point, you are treading in that happy place called Allusions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allusions