Author Topic: Graphophobia  (Read 2588 times)

Offline casualimp

• Participant
  • Right behind you.
    • View Profile
Graphophobia
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:41:37 AM »
It seems I have a fear of writing (which is ironic as I'm writing about it). I wrote this childrens fantasy (lyricly - I always write a poetic outline first) that I can't get out of my head. Everywhere I turn, I'm reminded of these characters in my head but I can't bring myself to write any prose as I just don't feel confident enough to do so. If I can't get it out of my mind, am I supposed to write this or is it trying to write itself through me and I'm resisting?
One foot by the dark tide;
Third eye to the light
I'm seeing everything you thought
Could never be real.

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
Re: Graphophobia
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 07:26:36 PM »
Just sit down and start writing.  It doesn't matter if it sucks, you can rewrite it later.  Oh and don't second guess what you just wrote till you are at least done with your goal for the writing session. 

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: Graphophobia
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:32:56 PM »
If you need some inspiration on "just doing it", read Stephen King's On Writing 

I had the same problem my whole life; all this potential building in my head, but a block when I actually sit down to write.

For me, On Writing destroyed every excuse I ever gave myself, broke down all the fears and apprehension.  And now, I just sit down and write. 
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos