Author Topic: Returning to a story  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Zydruna

• Participant
    • View Profile
Returning to a story
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:19:19 PM »
I heard an interview with author Erik Larson on NPR the other day and he said something that I found very interesting.  When he is writing a novel, and has to pause for whatever reason, he makes a point to stop writing mid-paragraph and mid-sentence.  He said that this is a wonderful technique that allows him to immediately get back into the same headspace that he was in before so that the words will start flowing instantly and seamlessly.

I would never have thought of this.  I usually feel compelled to complete whatever thought or scene I am working on before I stop, fearing that I might not remember everything that I am thinking of later.

I am curious what the writers here think of this technique.  Have you ever done this?  Did you find it to be a useful technique?
Never trust a prophet in a party dress.

-Ellis Paul

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
Re: Returning to a story
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:44:15 AM »
I've never done that before, because I too would be afraid I'd lose the thought that prompted the sentence in the first place.

I HAVE stopped at an opening " for dialogue.  Sort of like freezing a movie where a character just opened their mouth to speak but hasn't said anything...I put the opening quotes, then save and close the file until later.

I never have trouble getting back into a character's head space, though, so this trick of stopping mid-sentence wouldn't really be of use to me personally.  But I could see it working for someone who gets knocked out of a character's head space more easily.
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

Offline Belial

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »
I am somewhat OCD (not horribly, in a can't function way... but for example, I took all my d6's and put them in a box, all facing the same way, I have about forty of them, they are stacked nine by four... this took time, and I have to put them back that way everytime I use them).

So for me, this just plain wouldn't work, leaving it incomplete like that would just nag at me and nag at me until I finished it.

*edited for clarity.

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 04:46:30 AM »
I stop wherever I stop.  Though I try NOT to do it in mid-sentence because then I go back and stare and scratch my head whilst going "Okay...what the Hell was I thinking and where'd did it scurry off to to hide whilst I wasn't looking?".
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline Danielle/Evie

• Lurker
  • Je suis ce que je suis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 11:43:27 PM »
I stop wherever I stop.  Though I try NOT to do it in mid-sentence because then I go back and stare and scratch my head whilst going "Okay...what the Hell was I thinking and where'd did it scurry off to to hide whilst I wasn't looking?".

same here....
      i had to get up once to chase my dog, came back and basically sat for an hour, competely lost.
Life isn't particularly fair.
But that doesn't mean we won't survive it.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:30:36 PM »
I usually try to end on a beat.  I usually finish a chapter in four or five good sittings, and try to end my sessions on a cliffhanger.  I think I do it just to keep myself amped about the story. 

I often will stop right before a big scene.  Not because I'm not sure what will happen (i'm not sure exactly what will happen, but that isn't why I stop).

It could be a scene I've been working toward, that one scene that has fueled my efforts the entire time, just because I really want to write the scene.  And then I'll stop a paragraph or even a sentence before that goal-scene begins.  Just pack up and go home.

It's like prolonging foreplay to make the love making better or something.  But I let it stew a little longer in my head, start thinking hard about the scene instead of just having a vague idea about what I want to happen.  Sometimes I'll let it simmer for weeks before I get back to it. 

I don't like going that long between sessions, but hey...what're ya gonna do.  I write when the words come.  And so far that seems to be working.  Though slow it may be.

BLG
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 06:52:12 PM »
My work and home situation is such that I usually get to write one night a week, and it's usually Friday; I try to finish a chapter, or at least come to a reasonable break point within a chapter, every session.  [ My chapters tend to come out between two and four thousand words, for what that's worth. ]

It's certainly easier to get going again when the next bit is going to be fun and I know how it goes, but the combination of being a bit obsessive-compulsive and knowing I have limited time to do this in usually gets me putting words on the screen even when the next bit does not appear immensely exciting.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:56:01 PM »
So, I need some advice about returning to my novel after being away from it for at least a month, and probably more.

My situation: half way through the book, by my estimates.  Had a two or three week spurt of writing every day for 5 or 6 hours after work.  Got busy with work and bills and real life obligations.  Slowly slipped out of the habit.  Two weeks ago my beloved little cousin was killed in a car wreck, and that sent my spirit into a downward spiral.  I still want to write, and I keep trying to motivate myself to get back into the groove.  However, I simply don't feel like it.

I realize I'm still grieving and handling this in my own way, but I feel bad for putting my writing off.  Chris would not have wanted me to put anything before my writing, and I really want to finish this book for him.

Has anyone ever gone through a period when their passion for writing was faded for some reason?  Any advice on how to polish it up and get back to work?
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 07:40:21 PM »
Write something.  Anything.  Doesn't have to be your story.  Something small and unimportant to get you back into the habit.   

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 07:56:26 PM »
Write something.  Anything.  Doesn't have to be your story.  Something small and unimportant to get you back into the habit.   

I finally just sat down and started reading my book from the previous chapter I had finished.  After an hour or so, I was back into it, and am now into Chapter 11.  Yay!