Author Topic: Pitch The Setting  (Read 12562 times)

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
Pitch The Setting
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »
Cast your minds forward... you've got the RPG coming in the post, you've got some cracking ideas for stories, and you've got the best players you know in mind for playing it.

But none of them have read the books.

How would you pitch the setting of The Dresden Files to them?  Do it in three or four short-ish paragraphs, highlight why this game is different to those other urban magic RPGs, make it sound as dynamic and exciting as you know it can be.

(I'm trying to think up something like this my own self... and I'm interested in how other folks might do it)
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Pitch The Setting
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:16:09 PM »
The Dresden Files ... a old style detective novel and setting with the addition of magic and monsters. Vampires, Werewolves, Ghouls and Fairies (Sidhe) are all real. The Chicago PD has a Supernatural (Special) Investigations division. People go missing everyday, did you ever wonder what happens to them?
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
It's like the World of Darkness, but it doesn't cry itself to sleep at night.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:56:26 PM »
Dang, that's a toughy. Almost every meeting of my Anime Club I get someone addicted to the Dresden books, but the RPG setting.... I'll give it a shot or 2.

When pitching you have to keep it short, but you can't simplfy Dresden too much. You have to convey the following information about the Dresdenverse:

1. The supernatural world is real and every piece of fantasy is open game
2. Except for the magic and stuff, it is still the real world. The supernatural is in addition to the normal world.
3. Your role in the game is to protect humanity from very nasty things
4. The kind of characters the setting allows are people like Harry Dresden, a Wizard in the Phone book, under Wizards

1st Attempt aka the Don LaFontaine Approach:

There's another world out there, a world of things that go bump. The classic fantasy nasties are real and the Normal world is one big smorgasbord. The only people who can protect humanity and keep this world underwraps are the ones with power or who are smart enough and clever enough to survive or are just too stupid to be scared. People like Harry Dresden, the only man in the Yellow Pages under Wizards.

2nd Attempt:

Vampires, Werewolves, Shakespearean Faires and Magic are the tip of the iceburg...of what's around your neighborhood. A supernatural world exists out there and keeping it under wraps are people like the White Council of Wizards. One such member is Harry Dresden, a Wizard who consults for the Chicago police, everyone wants a piece of and advertises in the Phonebook, under Wizards.

www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »
It's like the World of Darkness, but it doesn't cry itself to sleep at night.

I like you. You have the awesome.  ;D
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:29:28 PM »
I'd actually take the text off the back of Storm Front. 

Prefferably the add section and the first paragraph.  The rest is isolated to the book itself, but the first paragraph gives a good intro to what a wizard might do in this setting.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »
You mean: 

Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things -- and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a -- well, whatever.

I guess that's good at summing it up.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 12:47:04 AM »
I like you. You have the awesome.  ;D

Thank you. (:

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 02:22:09 AM »

1st Attempt aka the Don LaFontaine Approach:

There's another world out there, a world of things that go bump. The classic fantasy nasties are real and the Normal world is one big smorgasbord. The only people who can protect humanity and keep this world underwraps are the ones with power or who are smart enough and clever enough to survive or are just too stupid to be scared. People like Harry Dresden, the only man in the Yellow Pages under Wizards.

I like this one... You should write promo blurbs!  :D
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Craz

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Superheroes and Sorcerors
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 08:25:22 AM »
Since my Dresden Files RPG will be an event from the high-school, I'm going to take it down to a level I hope they'll understand.

"It's right under everyone's noses. The magic, the monsters. Welcome to The Dresden Files. How do we get this? Take Harry Potter. But instead of a little teenager boy, make it a wise-cracking twenty-thirty-something wizard living in perpetual poverty in Chicago who works as a PI sleuthing around for some justice. And the baddies? This is stuff that would make Rowling's creepy-crawlies soil their trousers. We've got vampires, we've got fairies, we've got demons. We've got freaking frozen turkeys that fall out of the sky to use as homing missiles. There's no limit. It's The Dresden Files."
J.A.H., author.

Check out Superheroes and Sorcerors, my blog and archive at http://justenhunter.com !

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 05:59:52 PM »
Harry Potter grows up, moves to Chicago, and turns into Sam Spade.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 06:19:15 PM »
Harry Potter grows up, moves to Chicago, and turns into Sam Spade.

Yeah, not enough dames and booze to be Mike Hammer. I'd say Marlowe, honestly.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 06:05:36 AM »
IAGO!!!!!!

*snuggles IAGO*

Priscellie said you were dead!!!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 06:15:34 AM »
Priscellie said you were dead!!!
I was.

I got better.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 06:19:10 AM »
ROFLMAO - Good to see you, bud. Thanks for all you do to keep this place humming.

*dead announcer voice* "We now return you to your previously scheduled Pitch the Setting Thread"